The Student Room Group

gjetugrtigjnrt

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Serenity-M
Yes Birmingham is lovely too but the city isn't meant to be great but hopefully I still like it

I quite like the city. im from nottingham so have been 2 or 3 times there. Like the bull ring shopping centre :smile: great transport links from new st station
Original post by Ghostlady
I quite like the city. im from nottingham so have been 2 or 3 times there. Like the bull ring shopping centre :smile: great transport links from new st station

Yeah I'm sure it will be great 👍
Yes Birmingham is lovely too but the city isn't meant to be great but hopefully I still like it

I really like the city. Its beautiful walking around the canals and dropping into a pub. Plus Edgbaston is lovely.
Original post by ajj2000
I really like the city. Its beautiful walking around the canals and dropping into a pub. Plus Edgbaston is lovely.

Yes the canals looked lovely! I'm very excited to go as long as I get the grades 🤞😬
The QS academic reputation survey is so reliable:rofl:

I filled it in this year. I am not (and never have been) an academic. I nominated myself to take part. I chose a subject specialty that I haven’t studied formally since GCSEs.

Anyone with a university email can fill in the QS survey of “academics”.
Original post by PQ
The QS academic reputation survey is so reliable:rofl:

I filled it in this year. I am not (and never have been) an academic. I nominated myself to take part. I chose a subject specialty that I haven’t studied formally since GCSEs.

Anyone with a university email can fill in the QS survey of “academics”.

Really? I know universites game the figures but my understanding had been that it was through paying lots of researchers to get published. Effectively spending the money from overseas students to boost rankings to attract more overseas students.
Original post by ajj2000
Really? I know universites game the figures but my understanding had been that it was through paying lots of researchers to get published. Effectively spending the money from overseas students to boost rankings to attract more overseas students.

Really.

You can’t nominate your own university which means that gaming is limited.

Thes limit their academic survey to academics published in a specific set of journals. Which stops me from taking part :moon: but then means their survey sample has a massive skew towards science and engineering academics.

The reputation survey is easiest to game by hosting international conferences and paying for your staff to attend international conferences (ideally presenting papers). That’s the easiest way to get known for your research among specific circles.

There’s ways to game citation and publication metrics (you can get amazing citation stats by publishing something controversial in a high profile publication - everyone puts a lot of time into citing your work to point out that it is wrong - and there are listing of the journals included in publication metrics and their weightings to target work and additional versions of publications in multiple journals).
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by oof1234
Hey so I went to a boarding school and what I've discovered is that private schooled students view universities and their worth somewhat differently to state schooled peers who seem to cling to rankings which are too variable in general

1.Oxbridge- obviously the best and super hard to get into
2. Imperial/LSE-Very hard to get into and best in their specific areas
3.UCL/Durham/St Andrews- good all-rounder universities but may be declined for slightly worse universities depending on what you want at Uni- many of Us did not bother with UCL as nobody wanted to be a student in London, all st Andrews is viewed as boring and really remote so had friends choose to go to Exeter or bristol instead.
4. Warwick/ Exeter/Bristol/Edinburgh/KCL/Bath-Here we have a middle ground where most of my peers ended up at, good places but not Amazing. I would put Warwick higher for econ but on the whole, it's no better than the other Uni here in general, KCL also seems to have this prestige just cause its in london but apart form perhaps Law, doing something like Histroy etc is. no better than the other Unis here.
5. Nottingham/Leeds/Manchester/Sheffield/Birmingham- good universities but viewed as not being full of posh southerners and hence we do not tend to apply here
6.Not bothered to right these ones

Your pomposity is overwhelming - generalising about state schooled pupils just shows you up for the arrogance we have come to expect from some of your ilk.

I know Birmingham as a city reasonably well having worked there. It is really nice. I dont know why people dont like it. Probably those that havent been there.
Original post by swanseajack1
I know Birmingham as a city reasonably well having worked there. It is really nice. I dont know why people dont like it. Probably those that havent been there.

I've heard that's it really horrible but it seemed like it was in a nice area of Birmingham. 😂
I've heard that's it really horrible but it seemed like it was in a nice area of Birmingham. 😂

Birmingham has nice parts to it like Edgbaston where the campus is and grotty parts like Selly Oak where most students live in second and third year. Students like it because it's cheap but if you don't mind spending a bit more money on accommodation, many students live in nicer areas too like Harbourne.

The city centre is really good for shopping and nightlife
Original post by harrysbar
Birmingham has nice parts to it like Edgbaston where the campus is and grotty parts like Selly Oak where most students live in second and third year. Students like it because it's cheap but if you don't mind spending a bit more money on accommodation, many students live in nicer areas too like Harbourne.

The city centre is really good for shopping and nightlife

Thanks. Yh Ive heard selly oak isn't great 😬 hopefully it all turns out good though 🙂
Original post by oof1234
UCL is good but just not on LSE level when it comes to areas like Law/Econ/Maths etc LSE is the imperial of the art/social sciences so I would disagree. Durham is defo Oxbridge reject uni, but the requirements to get in are high and so is its academic rigor. Warwick is only really good at Econ/Math doing history/English/Law here is not any better than the others on this list, like Bristol in this tier is better for Law and Engineering than Warwick. Exeter is good and has been climbing the rankings but honestly its no more academic than the others in this tier, it's also significantly worse than say Bristol/bath for engineering and is on par with them for most others. Yh Exeter is known as that but so is Bristol, they have a similar number of private schooled kids at both, nearly a 1/3 at both and similar entry requirements so they're roughly the same tier. You cannot argue in my mind Exeter is Durham/UCL tier.

Durham is nowhere near UCL level. That it is an Oxbridge reject uni doesn't necessarily say something about the education quality. Heard it is mostly because it has a collegial system as well. Also, I'd argue that UCL is at the same level as LSE. They teach all subjects and so many of them rank in the top 5 in the world - if not first. Also, UCL mathematics beats LSE's. For econ and law, quite close to LSE.

UCL - QS: 8th worldwide
UCL - Times Higher Education: 15th worldwide
UCL - ARWU: 15th worldwide
UCL - US News: 21st worldwide

LSE - QS: 44th worldwide
LSE - Times Higher Education: 27th worldwide
LSE - ARWU: 151-200th worldwide (due to smaller size)
LSE - US News: 259th worldwide (due to smaller size)

Durham - QS: 78th worldwide
Durham - Times Higher Education: 133rd worldwide
Durham - ARWU: 201-300 worldwide
Durham - US News: 210th worldwide

St.Andrews - QS: 100th worldwide
St.Andrews - Times Higher Education: 198th worldwide
St.Andrews - ARWU: 301-400 worldwide
St.Andrews - US News: 266th worldwide

I take into account subject rankings as well of course. Therefore I'd say that UCL is in the same league as Imperial and LSE, 100%.
Original post by Philosophus1.618
I absolutely disagree with your rankings. Which criteria did you use to rank these unis? 'Strongest brand' doesn't necessarily mean it is the most academic. Also, undergrads might focus more on low student:staff ratio, student satisfaction, UCAS entry points, etc, whereas postgrads might focus on research output, funding, etc.

Check out the Guardian league table (1st=Cambridge, 2nd=St Andrews, 3rd=Oxford), or the complete uni guide (1st=Cambridge, 2nd=Oxford, 3rd=St Andrews).
https://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2019/jun/07/university-league-tables-2020
https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings

You look at domestic rankings.. Especially the Guardian is a straight-up joke.
Thanks. Yh Ive heard selly oak isn't great 😬 hopefully it all turns out good though 🙂

When we was looking at student accommodation for my daughter beyond 1st year, we saw a website called 'accommodation for students' This had houses and also private halls if you want to go that route. birmingham halls were pretty nice
Reply 75
Better start practising spelling the names of the ones you can’t “right” then. You’ll be needing them for your application.
Original post by Ghostlady
When we was looking at student accommodation for my daughter beyond 1st year, we saw a website called 'accommodation for students' This had houses and also private halls if you want to go that route. birmingham halls were pretty nice

Yh in defined going for halls this year but thanks.
From recollection rents in Birmingham for students are pretty cheap. You can move to a better area and still pay less than normal rents in Bristol, Bath etc.

I didn't like Selly Oak (as a parent used to living in a "nice" area) but my son didn't mind living there and my daughter who loves city life would have really loved Birmingham if she had the grades for it. You've done really well to get into such a good uni - enjoy! :smile:
Original post by oof1234
Hey so I went to a boarding school and what I've discovered is that private schooled students view universities and their worth somewhat differently to state schooled peers who seem to cling to rankings which are too variable in general

1.Oxbridge- obviously the best and super hard to get into
2. Imperial/LSE-Very hard to get into and best in their specific areas
3.UCL/Durham/St Andrews- good all-rounder universities but may be declined for slightly worse universities depending on what you want at Uni- many of Us did not bother with UCL as nobody wanted to be a student in London, all st Andrews is viewed as boring and really remote so had friends choose to go to Exeter or bristol instead.
4. Warwick/ Exeter/Bristol/Edinburgh/KCL/Bath-Here we have a middle ground where most of my peers ended up at, good places but not Amazing. I would put Warwick higher for econ but on the whole, it's no better than the other Uni here in general, KCL also seems to have this prestige just cause its in london but apart form perhaps Law, doing something like Histroy etc is. no better than the other Unis here.
5. Nottingham/Leeds/Manchester/Sheffield/Birmingham- good universities but viewed as not being full of posh southerners and hence we do not tend to apply here
6.Not bothered to right these ones

Oh dear - classic errors here. It's the reputation of the COURSE not the university you need to look at.

Why so dismissive of state school students views? You dismiss a lot of great universities and over-rate others.

Please read this post again - it's one I think think many students would be embarrassed to be associated with.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending