The Student Room Group

People who say “All lives matter”

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Serenity-M
Because people then use the 'all lives matger' argument and people point out that other races also matter (as they don't know what it's specifically about). Obviously idk what might be better that still had a good ring like 'end racodm' doesn't lead the the same confusion but sounds lame 😂

White people suffer discrimination as well - it’s just not as represented by the mainstream media because it goes against their narratives
Original post by ThuggerThugger
Closet racists tbh.. the reason we don’t have all lives matter or white lives matter is the same reason we don’t have soup kitchens for rich people.

The reasons BLM exists is because it’s evident that many think black lives do not matter.. so people who comeback with the all lives matter bs are the same morons who want a straight pride day.

I think that the idea of 'All lives matter' when looked at face value is a good one because it doesn't put anyone in the spotlight, so no one is made into a minority.
However, the vast majority of support for 'All lives matter' does stem from those white people who feel that the BLM campaign is sort of 'attacking their own place in society'. This is of course terrible, and I do not sympathize with this way of thinking at all, I do find it interesting though.
We're studying the civil rights movement in history at the moment, and the things we learn about what was done to African Americans is horrifying to me. My history teacher, while clarifying that he wasn't sympathizing with whites, gave a helpfully impartial view to us by including some sociology into the mix: many white people subconsciously feel that if black lives are 'mattering more' (which shouldn't even be a campaign anyways because their lives have infinite importance as created by God) and that as a result, their lives 'matter less' (I can hardly comprehend this way of thinking, but I'm just regurgitating what he suggested).
Hence the reason behind the feeling that there is a need for 'All lives matter'. I totally agree with you and I thought that some expanding might be useful for the sake of discussion. The greatest fault line here is that many whites don't understand the importance of life as created by God. If they understood this, then a BLM campaign would not prompt an ALM campaign because they would already feel secure in their worth, and wouldn't feel that a BLM campaign affects their worth as human beings made in the image of God. MORE IMPORTANTLY, THERE WOULD BE NO NEED FOR BLM, because everyone would know their worth as beautifully designed human beings
Original post by Serenity-M
Because people then use the 'all lives matger' argument and people point out that other races also matter (as they don't know what it's specifically about). Obviously idk what might be better that still had a good ring like 'end racodm' doesn't lead the the same confusion but sounds lame 😂

Oh, they would find some other reason to oppose the movement.
Original post by SamJackson2002
White people suffer discrimination as well - it’s just not as represented by the mainstream media because it goes against their narratives

Yes but to a lesser extent. It's not very comparable. That's why I said the name is not suitable.
Original post by Mihaly

As sad as it may be you cannot and will not make everyone believe the same thing.
Instead of fighting with that we should continue supporting the fight against what’s happened.
Be responsible for your own actions and leave the people who don’t support you to their own misery.
Fighting each other detracts from the issue of fighting for justice. It doesn’t need to be everybody.
Original post by Mihaly

Yeah but the name is a big hole in the movements armour 🙁
Original post by J Zonda
When you take police out of the "statement" it confuses people. Yes all lives matter. Yes all races face discrimination. But it's the black community in America who get the most abuse from police by far.

They get the most, but don't forget about other minority groups, they also get targetted as well, you can't be ignoring that.
Original post by bingbong9214
They get the most, but don't forget about other minority groups, they also get targetted as well, you can't be ignoring that.

*rolls eyes* the very existence of black Americans is built on racism (slavery). Stop trying to shine the light of the fact black Americans in particular have it the worst. This white vs black thing had been going on since the dawn of time and we are sick of it. Stop trying to make excuses it makes you look pro racism.
Original post by TheStarboy
Would you make everyone do the same exam regardless whether they have a disability or not?

Depends what type of exam we’re talking about. An entry exam to a university then yes everyone must take the same.
(edited 3 years ago)
*rolls eyes* the very existence of black Americans is built on racism (slavery). Stop trying to shine the light of the fact black Americans in particular have it the worst. This white vs black thing had been going on since the dawn of time and we are sick of it. Stop trying to make excuses it makes you look pro racism.

Wow how ignorant and selfish you are. In America yes racism against black people is very bad, but as I've said, what about the Muslims who have also suffered (especially when Trump was in power), how many of you stuck up for them, far less. As I've pointed the example when 50 Muslims were killed how many of you were speaking for justice against the white supremacist (very little and I doubt you did as well). My point is that it brings me great joy to see people standing up for what's right, however these same people do not stand for similar issues across the world. And the very existence of Indians/ Pakistanis in Britain, was built on the racism and poor treatment during the British Empire, they were also treated like slaves less than 100 years ago!
Original post by bingbong9214
Wow how ignorant and selfish you are. In America yes racism against black people is very bad, but as I've said, what about the Muslims who have also suffered (especially when Trump was in power), how many of you stuck up for them, far less. As I've pointed the example when 50 Muslims were killed how many of you were speaking for justice against the white supremacist (very little and I doubt you did as well). My point is that it brings me great joy to see people standing up for what's right, however these same people do not stand for similar issues across the world. And the very existence of Indians/ Pakistanis in Britain, was built on the racism and poor treatment during the British Empire, they were also treated like slaves less than 100 years ago!

You really don’t get it do you? Like you are just obvious... well it’s not my job to educate you and I can’t be bothered in all honesty.
You really don’t get it do you? Like you are just obvious... well it’s not my job to educate you and I can’t be bothered in all honesty.

As someone who has experienced negative experience from racism, it is saddening to see how uneducated some people are and have no regard to other ethnic minorities. I would love to educate you about racism across all minority groups and how they should also be advocated for, not only for black people, but it's obvious that you have no regard to them whatsoever and are happy with the suffering of other innocent humans. If you are genuinely interested in learning, then feel free to pop me a dm :smile:.
(edited 3 years ago)
Yeah 100% agree with you this, and from my previous posts (on multiple threads) I have voiced my support that Black lives matter. However, for some people the movement is solely based on the Black lives, which is what it says in the name (obviously under current circumstances this is completely acceptable), but doesn't tackle the overall racism. You mention that If another ethnic minority group was killed, and they were innocent, there should for sure be protests about that too. But I can give an example of the Christchurch shooting which was recorded on a live stream on facebook and shared across the globe. However, we didn't see this amount of support for this, why, because they're Muslim. My point being, is that its great to see so many people supporting the right cause, but sad that these same people didn't stick up for the 50 innocent lives.
The reason why this cause is working and effective so well, is because its not only Black people who are supporting this but also whites and people of other races.
Reply 93
Closet racists tbh.. the reason we don’t have all lives matter or white lives matter is the same reason we don’t have soup kitchens for rich people.

The reasons BLM exists is because it’s evident that many think black lives do not matter.. so people who comeback with the all lives matter bs are the same morons who want a straight pride day.

As the crime stats go, the people that mostly dont believe that Black lives matter tend to be black people.
Honestly we wouldn't know if a protest would happen. But, we can't deny that the support from that shooting was significantly lower than what we are seeing today, and I seriously doubt that would change if it happened today (bearing in mind the shooting is quite recent).
Tbh the protests are definitely required since the police brutality on black people is ridiculously bad in America and hopefully this will enlighten people and stop the Trump campaign.
Reply 95
I am pretty sure that violent thugs are treated equally.
Reply 96
9x in prison, robbery with a gun, maybe? Selling coke? Another robbery?, Multiple thefts? Assault?
Original post by LeeJ93
9x in prison, robbery with a gun, maybe? Selling coke? Another robbery?, Multiple thefts? Assault?

So he deserved to die because of it? What are you getting at?
Reply 98
Original post by Fermion.
So he deserved to die because of it? What are you getting at?

He died because the cop failed, in that position he would stragle anyone, CHinese, White, Indian... we all would be dead if in his position.
I don't see what the problem is with saying 'All lives matter' it's a fact. Stop pointing fingers at people calling them racists! sick of this

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending