The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

TSR Environment Awareness Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
:rolleyes: Alrite, back to business, I'm serious about this. I wanna make this a positive addition to the TSR community. I think it's imperitive we think about these issues before it gets to late :cool: If any1 wants to suggest ideas, feel free to post in here or PM me. I want people to notice also what a fantastic example PQ is leading with her solar power usuage (u rock).

Talk later,

DB_x
Reply 21
land degredations, deforestastion, over fishing, water contamination, cliamte change, sustainablity... erm thats some issues i can think of at the moment!
Reply 22
Gosh, last post 15 Dec 2004... hello?!
Heck I'll join anyway, politicalcompass.org puts me smack bang in the same place as the Green Party (who, by the way, I know very little about - comments on them?)

I can't think of deep subjects now, although I have been worrying for the past few weeks about "global dimming", which seems a much more cataclysmic problem with stronger evidence than global warming.
Global dimming: http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/feature/story/0,13026,1108853,00.html

Anyone else get really ticked off when people print off reams of paper on the laser at school, and then just leave them there? I've taken to re-using the other side of wasted paper for writing revision notes on :biggrin:

Something else that annoys me is people who only use one side of sheets of filepaper - thats twice the number of trees being used... and that multiplies in the amount of land, wildlife, labour required, transport, chlorine to bleach, production materials etc required for the same level of use. When we were discussing just how the other one-siders could even consider doing it, their reply was along the lines of "the trees have already been cut down" and "we use sustainable forest supply".
Even if the trees have already been cut down, your heightened demand sends heightened signals to paper manufactures to supply more paper, aggravating the problem. Regarding sustainable forestry, it's a shame we even need them - shouldn't it just be take just what we need, not up to the level that nature can barely keep up?

my hands are tired from typing :s:
Reply 23
go you! :biggrin:
Same here; that political quiz says I should be a Green. In fact, my ideal British Parliament would be a Lib-Green coalition, similar to the one currently in power in Germany.

As soon as I have the money, I will buy an electric car. However, by the time that happens, the oil will have run out, civilisation will have collapsed and Manhattan and London will be the submerged haunts of the few fish we haven't wiped out.

Partly as a defiant gesture, but also out of hope that perhaps, just perhaps, we may be able to save ourselves, I would like to join the society.
Reply 25
sleepyeba
Gosh, last post 15 Dec 2004... hello?!
Heck I'll join anyway, politicalcompass.org puts me smack bang in the same place as the Green Party (who, by the way, I know very little about - comments on them?)

I can't think of deep subjects now, although I have been worrying for the past few weeks about "global dimming", which seems a much more cataclysmic problem with stronger evidence than global warming.
Global dimming: http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/feature/story/0,13026,1108853,00.html

Anyone else get really ticked off when people print off reams of paper on the laser at school, and then just leave them there? I've taken to re-using the other side of wasted paper for writing revision notes on :biggrin:

Something else that annoys me is people who only use one side of sheets of filepaper - thats twice the number of trees being used... and that multiplies in the amount of land, wildlife, labour required, transport, chlorine to bleach, production materials etc required for the same level of use. When we were discussing just how the other one-siders could even consider doing it, their reply was along the lines of "the trees have already been cut down" and "we use sustainable forest supply".
Even if the trees have already been cut down, your heightened demand sends heightened signals to paper manufactures to supply more paper, aggravating the problem. Regarding sustainable forestry, it's a shame we even need them - shouldn't it just be take just what we need, not up to the level that nature can barely keep up?

my hands are tired from typing :s:
Tell me about it! Same goes at my uni too, makes me sad :frown: Really, it does. I'm trying to get all my friends to either use recycled paper, or just read things through email, off the net, or download uni-work related articles onto disk instead of printing them them out :rolleyes: Makes it much easier for them, too!

DB_x
There have been no posts here for three weeks. If this society still exists, may I join? Here's something which could help the environment: You can make the same amount of paper out of one acre of hemp as you can out of three acres of trees. Hemp also takes much less time to grow back.
Reply 28
hullo! I wanna join!

edit: ooh 'ello andrewsjoseph!
i'd like to join please, i do have some questions about the environment that any one can help me with?

renewable enrgy sources how viable are they? wind power seems to not provide enough energy so nuclear is being considered but that brings its own problems, are there any realistic solution? sorry for my ignorance but what is "clean coal" as an energy source
bengal_tiger
i'd like to join please, i do have some questions about the environment that any one can help me with?

renewable enrgy sources how viable are they? wind power seems to not provide enough energy so nuclear is being considered but that brings its own problems, are there any realistic solution? sorry for my ignorance but what is "clean coal" as an energy source

The ideal energy source in my opinion is geothermal energy. Limitless energy, and no pollution, and only the cost of drilling. Unfortunatley, this can only be done in certain areas.
Reply 32
gethermal is not particularly efficient though is it, im not sure? And it depends what you call pollution really. you have to have a plant to convert the energy, therefore you have the eyesore of it and construction is damaging to the env.

sometimes there are sulphur emmissions and the possible over exploitation of groundwater, but yeah it's a pretty clean source!
*steph 247*
gethermal is not particularly efficient though is it, im not sure? And it depends what you call pollution really. you have to have a plant to convert the energy, therefore you have the eyesore of it and construction is damaging to the env.

sometimes there are sulphur emmissions and the possible over exploitation of groundwater, but yeah it's a pretty clean source!

So is nuclear, so long as it doesn't explode, and the waste can be disposed of.
Reply 34
can be disposed of? It'll still be there in millions of years to come.
and there are the health risks for the workers.
plants are decommisioned after 20-30 yrs and cannot be built on the same spot, so there is further contamination.
there is the weapons issue.
they do not respond well to fluctuating demand.
taking water for cooling processes lowers water table lowering river levels, thus increasing pollution concentration and reducing oxygen content.
The oxygen levels are also reduced by the thermal pollution of the river which can also act as a caalyst to eutrophication.

despite this I do think nuclear will be a necessary tool in tackling the energy crisis.

btw this is really good revision for me!
*steph 247*
can be disposed of? It'll still be there in millions of years to come.
and there are the health risks for the workers.
plants are decommisioned after 20-30 yrs and cannot be built on the same spot, so there is further contamination.
there is the weapons issue.
they do not respond well to fluctuating demand.
taking water for cooling processes lowers water table lowering river levels, thus increasing pollution concentration and reducing oxygen content.
The oxygen levels are also reduced by the thermal pollution of the river which can also act as a caalyst to eutrophication.

despite this I do think nuclear will be a necessary tool in tackling the energy crisis.

btw this is really good revision for me!

I live next to a Nuclear power station. Seriously, I didn't just put it in my location for fun. The nearby lake is supposed to be the most radioactive lake in Wales, and you're not suposed to eat anything you catch there.
Okay then, what about solar power? No use in wet, stormy Wales, but could be used in hot places. At least then there would be no pollution there, and that would cut down on worldwide pollution.
Global dimming, eh? Sounds like a bit of a problem to me. Either this has started recently, or the sun keeps bouncing forwards and backwards towards earth. Think about it. There is no evidence that it was any hotter 2000 years ago here, so it must come back sooner or later.

Another possibility: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

THE SUN IS SHRINKING! IT'S FUEL IS RUNNING OUT! WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!
*calms down*

Okay, I have no idea what is causing it, but at the moment we can't stop it. We can stop global warming. So i think it is more relevant.
Reply 39
solar power (i'm gonna overlook the global dimming outburst, partly cos I havn't done that in class! :p:)- pretty good!

not really gonna provide enough energy on it's own though. and they take up a lot of space

Latest

Trending

Trending