The Student Room Group

Racism is a rampant disease

Racism is not simply hate; it is systemically manifested in the minds of whites from some relatively early point in life. The feeling of superiority can be masked but never truly forgotten.

I think there’s even more whites out there who have some degree of racism in their bones; I’m not saying a white cannot be free from racial bias; but I do think it’s a much different matter than we are commonly led to believe.

But what does everyone else think?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Guy481
Racism is not simply hate; it is systemically manifested in the minds of whites from some relatively early point in life. The feeling of superiority can be masked but never truly forgotten.

I think there’s even more whites out there who have some degree of racism in their bones; I’m not saying a white cannot be free from racial bias; but I do think it’s a much different matter than we are commonly led to believe.

Racism isn't solely perpetuated by white people. A person of any ethnicity is capable of being racist (e.g., look at the Indian caste system). Looking at racism through the perspective of "only the big bad white man is a racist" is entirely reductionist and is a terrible way to start trying to solve the issue of racism (which I believe can never be solved fully).
Reply 2
Original post by Cubone-r
Racism isn't solely perpetuated by white people. A person of any ethnicity is capable of being racist (e.g., look at the Indian caste system). Looking at racism through the perspective of "only the big bad white man is a racist" is entirely reductionist and is a terrible way to start trying to solve the issue of racism (which I believe can never be solved fully).

No you’ve got it wrong. I have focused this on racism at the hands of whites yes? What’s stopping me from doing that? Answer? Nobody.

I agree with you that it will never be stopped though because it has such a purpose in society. Racism rekindles the spirit of superiority for whites amongst other things.

I would say even some whites who have a hard look at themselves and try and deal with their racism; that they too may be unsuccessful. It’s certainly more than a viewpoint.
Reply 3
Original post by Guy481
No you’ve got it wrong. I have focused this on racism at the hands of whites yes? What’s stopping me from doing that? Answer? Nobody.

I agree with you that it will never be stopped though because it has such a purpose in society. Racism rekindles the spirit of superiority for whites amongst other things.

I would say even some whites who have a hard look at themselves and try and deal with their racism; that they too may be unsuccessful. It’s certainly more than a viewpoint.

Why the hard on for "white racism"? It's somewhat less than universal to only Caucasians. Be it Malays hating Chinese, Arabs on Persians, Turks on Arabs, Chinese on blacks and so on so forth.
Reply 4
Original post by Napp
Why the hard on for "white racism"?

Narcissism. Be it white narcissists who buy into their own 'supremacy' or non-white narcissists with a martyr complex who can never do any wrong. Like a vicious symbiotic relationship.
Reply 5
Original post by Guy481

You are making sweeping generalisations. You can have an opinion, but it's soundbites. How is racism 'manifested in the mind' when manifested means to have shown through actions? How is it systemic when not everyone is brouģht up to be racist and people are free to make choices in life and reject objectionable traits? What do you mean by 'even more whites', more than what? And what is the 'different matter' to which you refer?
Reply 6
Imagine coming to a white country for a better future and then calling all the natives racist. You cant make this **** up 😂
Reply 7
Original post by Toscana
Imagine coming to a white country for a better future and then calling all the natives racist. You cant make this **** up 😂

Yeah you can’t make this **** up given that I’m as white as it gets mfker
Reply 8
Original post by Toscana

I do not think that this is fair for a number of reasons.

1. The vast majority of the 'black' community did not immigrate to the UK. They are the descendants of people who were abducted from their countries and brought here as slaves. They had no choice in coming here and becoming victim to exploitation and abuse.

2. Many people do not immigrate to this country for a better future. They immigrate to this country escaping war, death and destruction often promoted, if not directly caused by this very same country. Again, these people have little or no choice in coming here. They come here as a last resort, not looking for a better future, but just looking to survive. They come here out of desperation.

3. People who suffer abuse should have the right to complain about and challenge this abuse regardless of whether or not they are migrants or natives. It is their right as human beings to live free of abuse. When they suffer abuse they should have the full right to call their abusers out and have them held to account for said abuse.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Pinkisk
I do not think that this is fair for a number of reasons.

1. The vast majority of the 'black' community did not immigrate to the UK. They are the descendants of people who were abducted from their countries and brought here as slaves. They had no choice in coming here and becoming victim to exploitation and abuse.

2. Many people do not immigrate to this country for a better future. They immigrate to this country escaping war, death and destruction often promoted, if not directly caused by, this very same country. Again, these people have little or no choice in coming here. They come here as a last resort, out of desperation.

3. People who suffer abuse should have the right to complain about and challenge this abuse regardless of whether or not they are migrants or natives. It is their right as human beings to live in all countries free of abuse.

I agree with this; but then again the person who wrote that are racist themselves so that explains a lot.
Reply 10
Original post by Ascend
Narcissism. Be it white narcissists who buy into their own 'supremacy' or non-white narcissists with a martyr complex who can never do any wrong. Like a vicious symbiotic relationship.

I agree completely.

Allow me to elaborate a little bit. The anti racist Left accidentally reinforces the very racism they claim to oppose. How? Because they inadvertently support the view that white people embody the 'universal' spirit, by which I mean the type of thinking which doesn't have to take race into account when it thinks, because it is already assumed that you are a 'person', an individual who can talk to other individuals without any 'race' etc. getting in between that. The anti racist Left mistakenly attributes this universal subjectivity to whites themselves, as a 'hubris' or 'pretention' particular to the white race: "white male, sit down!"

Let me be clearer here. The universal spirit is the Enlightenment idea that there is a space of universal reason which we all occupy, where 'you' are not your stupid physical body, nor your particular 'station' in society. In enlightenment universal reason 'you' are the ideas which you hold, 'you' are fully and completely an individual who embodies a set of ideas. 'You' can be convinced by another, by judging their ideas through the use of universal reason and deciding whether these ideas are true or not. Likewise, you can convince others, not because you are a high-priest who has special access to the use of reason which is denied to others, but because, anything you believe, can be understood by others, using this standard of universal reason. Any conclusions you have come to are not 'yours' alone, but relate to the general logic of this shared space of universal reason. Just so you can think, others can too.

I hope I'm making myself clear. This forum is just such a space, where no particular person has special access to the use of reason which closes off debate by virtue of saying 'you can't possibly know what I know, you can't feel what I feel, you and I can never understand one another'.

Is this starting to sound familiar? The anti racist Left puts forth that the struggle of black people or trans people, cannot be translated into the language of universal reason. That minorities have their own particular access to reason because they are minorities, and therefore the only conclusion is that we adopt an 'intersectional' analysis which says 'you can't understand me, i can't understand you, so let's fight the whites (who claim to have access to a UNIVERSAL standard of reason (HOW DARE THEY!) together as particular non-universal subjects.

'white' therefore becomes synonymous with 'pretentious colonial racist' assuming that all human feeling (feeling which they couldn't possibly understand by virtue of their association with an imperialist past) trying to 'appropriate' my spacial snowflake god-given feelings and therefore butcher them into the language of universal reason.

We true Leftists have nothing but contempt for such an attitude. Why? Because any fascist will agree wholeheartedly with such a position! The commonality with the fascist is that this universal reason is for them a possession of the white race, and something particular to Europeans (or Anglo-America or wherever). Only the fascists are more honest in their anti-Enlightenment stance as being synonymous with white skin and they say: 'yes, please go back to your 'organic' pre-enlightenment standard of reason, please do adopt an 'alternate modernity' outside and at odds with 'white capitalist' modernity, we will cheer you all the way! And reserve for us whites alone the standard of reason born from the Enlightenment.'

The putrid and purile Left, for whom any talk of Enlightenment must begin and end with its isolation as a racist colonialist idea emanating from the heads of white slave-holding elites in order to dominate the coloured races. This pathetic and unworthy Left, has much more in common with the fascists they claim to oppose than they could ever realise. Unable to properly take up the mantle of the Enlightenment project, the 'postcolonial' Left consigns this sacred battlefield to the 'dustbin' of racist artefacts that must be swept away. In doing so it also consigns itself to that very same dustbin, because it can no longer lay claim to any truth, nor seize the hearts and minds of the masses in their struggle against the UNIVERSAL power of the capitalist class. This despicable Left, whose dream is only the reproduction of the existing order, but more coloureds and queers in positions of power. Each race and each niche identity with their own space, their own identity within the existing order, while Enlightenment universality is lambasted as a white project. How can anyone respect this Left?

Capitalism is UNIVERSAL, and it's transcendence, its overthrow requires an equally universal response. But the Leftists want a pretty Pokémon world where the blacks have their own modernity, the Chinese have theirs, the Indians have theirs etc. Capitalist universality can adapt to this demand just fine, it will remain completely intact. And while the various particular modernities fight out their fictitious struggle for dominance, the ONE TRUE DOMINANCE, THAT OF INTERNATIONAL FINANCE CAPITAL, WILL BE JUST FINE AND DANDY.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 11
But what if racism was biological?
Reply 12
Original post by Pinkisk
2. Many people do not immigrate to this country for a better future. They immigrate to this country escaping war, death and destruction often promoted, if not directly caused by this very same country. Again, these people have little or no choice in coming here. They come here as a last resort, not looking for a better future, but just looking to survive. They come here out of desperation.

Incorrect; that is not immigration, which is making a concious choice to move to a country, and not out of desperation. What you are describing is a refugee. Read this:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rescue.org/article/migrants-asylum-seekers-refugees-and-immigrants-whats-difference%3famp
Reply 13
I find it impossible to think of anyone without any prejudices against another or their own race for whatever reason. Maybe this does make it a rampant disease or maybe I’m completely wrong in that belief. Racism is deeply ingrained in everyone’s upbringing whether that’s ‘white racism’ or racism of another kind. However, it is white racism that has been most harmful to me and my peers who are also poc because I grew up feeling inferior due to the colour of my skin, feel the need to work harder to be taken seriously, am not taken seriously because I don’t fit a stereotype. Racism definitely goes both ways in my experience but the racism I experienced from black people due to being of fairer complexion didn’t limit my opportunities.
Reply 14
Original post by Corps
I find it impossible to think of anyone without any prejudices against another or their own race for whatever reason. Maybe this does make it a rampant disease or maybe I’m completely wrong in that belief. Racism is deeply ingrained in everyone’s upbringing whether that’s ‘white racism’ or racism of another kind. However, it is white racism that has been most harmful to me and my peers who are also poc because I grew up feeling inferior due to the colour of my skin, feel the need to work harder to be taken seriously, am not taken seriously because I don’t fit a stereotype. Racism definitely goes both ways in my experience but the racism I experienced from black people due to being of fairer complexion didn’t limit my opportunities.

This is pretty much exactly what I was getting at. Racism is more than 'come on you have to treat black people the same as everyone else' its something that I feel sticks to you. Even if you take someone like myself that would rather get the **** beaten out of me than treat someone in an inferior manner because of their skin I will admit myself that I have had moments of racial bias even if it was to a small extent; it still contributes to the institutional problem we have. My dads still racist and that will never change, but I can't exactly beat my own dad up for being racist or disown him can I?

Perhaps what needs to happen is for communities to join; oh and mixed race kids.
Original post by Guy481
But what if racism was biological?

If you wanted to make a anti-racism thread, maybe you should have started with a less divisive statement.
Reply 16
Original post by TheStarboy
If you wanted to make a anti-racism thread, maybe you should have started with a less divisive statement.

I didn't start with that, I mentioned it half way through starboy
'it is systemically manifested in the minds of whites from some relatively early point in life. The feeling of superiority can be masked but never truly forgotten.

I think there’s even more whites out there who have some degree of racism in their bones; I’m not saying a white cannot be free from racial bias; but I do think it’s a much different matter than we are commonly led to believe'

This is the divisive statement i'm talking about

Original post by Guy481
I didn't start with that, I mentioned it half way through starboy
It's easy for non-Whites to preach about racism, when you gain everything while we losing everything we have...
Original post by bravespeakout
It's easy for non-Whites to preach about racism, when you gain everything while we losing everything we have...

It's really not easy. You know how many BAME have lost their jobs for speaking out against racism? We haven't gained as much as you think we have.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending