The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

benwellsday
Meh, they're better than my grades at GCSE. Besides Oxbridge I've never heard of a uni complain about GCSE results. Unfortunately a degree from anywhere except Oxbridge is likely to end you up in a very low paying job, if any job at all that is, and its basically pointless even applying unless you feel like running yourself into debt with student loans...
You should worry about your A-levels, I've seen people with amazing GCSE's completely ruin their A-levels, probably because they think it'll be a pushover. The sooner you learn that A-level > GCSE the better.
Thinking about it, I'm wondering if students with high GCSE results are being pressured by their family and school. It would explain the amount of threads like this, and it seems a pretty typical tactic. Our school tried pushing uni on us at A-level, so maybe they're starting to prepare the year 11's for their degrees. Before we know it you'll get your complementary UCAS account when you join high school.

er..not true. my sister went to UCL and she gets paid an awful lot as a doctor so you're wrong there.

that was ridiculous actually; it's like saying there is absolutely NO hope for people who don't go to oxbridge :frown:
Reply 121
Mrs_Sylar
er..not true. my sister went to UCL and she gets paid an awful lot as a doctor so you're wrong there.

that was ridiculous actually; it's like saying there is absolutely NO hope for people who don't go to oxbridge :frown:

Don' be :frown:..trust me, for someone who says that it shows what an absolute pillack they are. that statement is the most foolish I've come across in a while. pfft.
Reply 122
benwellsday
Meh, they're better than my grades at GCSE. Besides Oxbridge I've never heard of a uni complain about GCSE results. Unfortunately a degree from anywhere except Oxbridge is likely to end you up in a very low paying job, if any job at all that is, and its basically pointless even applying unless you feel like running yourself into debt with student loans...
You should worry about your A-levels, I've seen people with amazing GCSE's completely ruin their A-levels, probably because they think it'll be a pushover. The sooner you learn that A-level > GCSE the better.
Thinking about it, I'm wondering if students with high GCSE results are being pressured by their family and school. It would explain the amount of threads like this, and it seems a pretty typical tactic. Our school tried pushing uni on us at A-level, so maybe they're starting to prepare the year 11's for their degrees. Before we know it you'll get your complementary UCAS account when you join high school.

Very true. That's why all doctors graduate from Oxbridge.

Oh, wait a minute...
Go away
malsi101
Don' be :frown:..trust me, for someone who says that it shows what an absolute pillack they are. that statement is the most foolish I've come across in a while. pfft.

thanks i should have used the ":mad:" icon instead lol :smile:
and i totally agree with you. i don't know why that poster wrote that but it sure annoyed me esp. how its a load of rubbish :p:
Woah SARCASM people, learn it!
Oxbridge is highly respected but I think too many people get in a fuss over it, theres no shame in going to any uni. Its mostly the threads on here that influenced that, so many people worry about Oxbridge when a degree somewhere thats a lot easier to get into has basically the same prospects.

Anyway I know it was a stupid point, I wasn't being serious though, I was hoping the blatant exxaggeration would clear that up!
benwellsday
Woah SARCASM people, learn it!
Oxbridge is highly respected but I think too many people get in a fuss over it, theres no shame in going to any uni. Its mostly the threads on here that influenced that, so many people worry about Oxbridge when a degree somewhere thats a lot easier to get into has basically the same prospects.

Anyway I know it was a stupid point, I wasn't being serious though, I was hoping the blatant exxaggeration would clear that up!

you made me binge/comfort eat on a whole tub of Ben 'n' Jerry's for nothing?! :eek:
that is so going to my thighs :p:
Reply 127
somewhere thats a lot easier to get into

Hmmm..I hope that is also sarcasm.

Seriously where do you get this rubbish from.
You are so ****ing stupid!
I didn't meet all my targets but I'm not moaning about in on a public forum. Get over it! It's only ****ing gcse's. It's not the end of the world.
Reply 129
RobbieH
Distinction for BTEC is not the same as 2 A* for GCSE. Especially for the course you took. Universities won't recognize this. So you got 2As, 7Bs and 1C plus a distinction for BTEC P.E.

Quoted for truth! I hate these people who say "oh yeah I got a blabla in so and so, this is worth 50 A*s at GCSE!" The truth is, you can't realistically convert it, so stop saying you got a GCSE and just say what it really is.
Reply 130
Selkarn
Quoted for truth! I hate these people who say "oh yeah I got a blabla in so and so, this is worth 50 A*s at GCSE!" The truth is, you can't realistically convert it, so stop saying you got a GCSE and just say what it really is.

it get worse when you get to A Level, there people try to compare BTEC Travel and tourism with three A Levels!!!!

its like BTEC Travel and Tourism can not be compared to any A Levels let alone 3

its like Saying a Distinction in Travel and Tourism is equal to an A in Maths, Physics and English Literature!

Its insane!
Reply 131
Listen guys,

If you don't like threads like these why bother posting in them?

Also I didn't meet my predictions/expectations so thats why I am feeling kind of down! Also it makes it kind of worse that my School pressured us alot and some family members did aswell,this makes me feel like CRAP & I have brought dishonour to my family!

All you people who say that you didn't get grades like mine(which may be higher or lower) and are happy with them,this is because you probbley met your predictions! But I didn't :/!

Also all you people who negative repped me,it just shows that your jealous of my grades and your probbley ticked off that im not happy with them?

I come from an British Indian family where I have strict targets to meet or I feel like a failure for the family and this is how I am feeling! My Mum is really happy with my GCSEs and is even giving me a reward of £180+ but my Dad he is another story! He goes "He is happy with my GCSE grades" but whenever I look at him,he looks at me with disappointment and like ive let him down or something! When i ask him "I did good didn't I Dad in my GCSEs?", He doesn't even reply! My Mum has to do all the talking so it doesn't make me feel bad. But I know what the truth is and it doesn't feel very nice at all! When I tell my Dad I didn't even get 2A*s,it was a Distinction instead,I don't know what his reaction will be! :frown:

Think before you do your actions!
Reply 132
Amit92
Listen guys,

Also I didn't meet my predictions/expectations so thats why I am feeling kind of down! Also it makes it kind of worse that my School pressured us alot and some family members did aswell,this makes me feel like CRAP & I have brought dishonour to my family!

All you people who say that you didn't get grades like mine(which may be higher or lower) and are happy with them,this is because you probbley met your predictions! But I didn't :/!

Also all you people who negative repped me,it just shows that your jealous of my grades and your probbley ticked off that im not happy with them?

how can u bring dishonour to ur family that ridiculous, if anything they should be happy that u have ur GCSEs (as most people ur age or older dont even have them) and u atleast have more than 5 A-C grades, (which is what unis are really interested in). and ur not the first person who never met their predictions so stop acting like its the end of the world!
Reply 133
silk192
how can u bring dishonour to ur family that ridiculous, if anything they should be happy that u have ur GCSEs (as most people ur age or older dont even have them) and u atleast have more than 5 A-C grades, (which is what unis are really interested in). and ur not the first person who never met their predictions so stop acting like its the end of the world!

I come from an British Indian family where I have strict targets to meet or I feel like a failure for the family and this is how I am feeling! My Mum is really happy with my GCSEs and is even giving me a reward of £180+ but my Dad he is another story! He goes "He is happy with my GCSE grades" but whenever I look at him,he looks at me with disappointment and like ive let him down or something! When i ask him "I did good didn't I Dad in my GCSEs?", He doesn't even reply! My Mum has to do all the talking so it doesn't make me feel bad. But I know what the truth is and it doesn't feel very nice at all! When I tell my Dad I didn't even get 2A*s,it was a Distinction instead,I don't know what his reaction will be!

Best thing to do for me now is study hard at A-level and prove him wrong by getting good grades and going to a good University in the Top10 hopefully or Top20! :biggrin:
Reply 134
EierVonSatan
I'm sorry to hear that your family is so hung up on academic achievement. Do well in A-levels for yourself not for your parents, you don't have anything to prove to anyone else. Best of luck :smile:

Nicely put! - Couldn't put it any better!

Good luck my friend!:smile:
Reply 135
Amit92
Listen guys,

I come from an British Indian family where I have strict targets to meet or I feel like a failure for the family and this is how I am feeling! My Mum is really happy with my GCSEs and is even giving me a reward of £180+ but my Dad he is another story! He goes "He is happy with my GCSE grades" but whenever I look at him,he looks at me with disappointment and like ive let him down or something! When i ask him "I did good didn't I Dad in my GCSEs?", He doesn't even reply! My Mum has to do all the talking so it doesn't make me feel bad. But I know what the truth is and it doesn't feel very nice at all! When I tell my Dad I didn't even get 2A*s,it was a Distinction instead,I don't know what his reaction will be! :frown:

I know how families can be strict on your academia but count yourself lucky..some parents don't even care if their kids do well and yours obviously do.

I am sorry how you didn't meet your expectations but you were letting yourself into a lion cage by being sad over 2 A* (and numerous A's)which many people would die for.

That said it seems on some grades you exceeded your predictions like on some where you were predicted B's and got A's, so concentrate on them...and think about worse you would feel if you had come out with not getting anything above your predictions!!!Don't worry too much now and concentrate on your A Levels.

I am in a similar situation with my parents now, in that I have done really good in my GCSE's and now I feel so much pressure to do good in my a levels...which I hate!!

By you saying we are jelous of your grades or probably jelous..that is false..we're not jelous we just want you to recognise they are good and other people hate that you can't thus why they probably negged you. By saying you think they're jelous shows that you know they're good as why else would others be jelous if they weren't good-so what does that tell you.

Like I said before concentrate on your A Levels now...and if you feel that you will never be happy with some of your grades(even though you should be)then you can retake some next year in your AS year but don't expect it to be easy as doing GCSE's plus your AS's will be a struggle. But remember your A levels are so much more important now that not getting an A at GCSE but getting it at A level is so much more better by a mile so remember that!!!

:smile:
Reply 136
jjkkll
it get worse when you get to A Level, there people try to compare BTEC Travel and tourism with three A Levels!!!!

its like BTEC Travel and Tourism can not be compared to any A Levels let alone 3

its like Saying a Distinction in Travel and Tourism is equal to an A in Maths, Physics and English Literature!

Its insane!

People really say that? :rofl:

Funny how you should put English Lit "up there" with Maths and Physics though! I thought the general consensus around here was that anything non-scientific or mathematical was "soft" :rolleyes:

I'm taking a mix anyway. :yep:
Reply 137
Selkarn
People really say that? :rofl:

Funny how you should put English Lit "up there" with Maths and Physics though! I thought the general consensus around here was that anything non-scientific or mathematical was "soft" :rolleyes:

I'm taking a mix anyway. :yep:

some are some are not but it depends what your good at!
Reply 138
Lol sob story. The point remains, it'd be like getting 5 numbers on the lottery and complaining you didn't get all 6. The general fact of you still have more than enough while other people struggle to do well. It's not jealousy. If you're family are so harsh, get THEM to sit the gsce's and get nice high grades. appreaciate you did well, and still better than most other's.

Latest