The Student Room Group

Race protests in London

What is the big deal with having protests about race in London? I understand it in America, their system is so flawed, especially the police force. But in the U.K. we don’t really have that issue. People protesting just slows traffic and business in London, harming the economy. And it spreads coronavirus, which isn’t good.

It also causes violence and if you’re a white person you then get hated on, like one of my local churches got rid of the kids choir because it wasn’t “black enough” despite being diverse and having a lot of the local black people be Muslim or Hindu so they wouldn’t do a church choir. The kids were so upset, especially when they can’t do school or see their friends. Things have become beyond extreme here for no reason except to “look cool”. I wish America the best of luck, and hope that people here don’t protest and if they feel they must, wear a mask and socially distance.

Scroll to see replies

There could be black privilege now. I agree that George FLoyd didn't deserve anything close to what he received but for Rayshard Brooks, it was unfortunate but not the same situation as he did resist arrest.
there is exactly the same problem in england, the difference is that its not as obvious. we still have extreme racism in the Police.

im sure if you gave the british police the same fire arms as the american police, you would hear about police shootings quite often.
Original post by Anonymous
There could be black privilege now. I agree that George FLoyd didn't deserve anything close to what he received but for Rayshard Brooks, it was unfortunate but not the same situation as he did resist arrest.

what do you mean there could be black privilege now?
the issue is relevant across the world, especially in America. There is also racial discrimination in the UK. Just because you don’t see it everyday, doesn’t mean it isn’t happening :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
America is full of racism due to its long history, just look at trump and you will see for yourself.british ppl are generally nicer.
What is the big deal with having protests about race in London? I understand it in America, their system is so flawed, especially the police force. But in the U.K. we don’t really have that issue. People protesting just slows traffic and business in London, harming the economy. And it spreads coronavirus, which isn’t good.

It also causes violence and if you’re a white person you then get hated on, like one of my local churches got rid of the kids choir because it wasn’t “black enough” despite being diverse and having a lot of the local black people be Muslim or Hindu so they wouldn’t do a church choir. The kids were so upset, especially when they can’t do school or see their friends. Things have become beyond extreme here for no reason except to “look cool”. I wish America the best of luck, and hope that people here don’t protest and if they feel they must, wear a mask and socially distance.

I agree with you, police brutality isn't that big of a deal here
Original post by beyond21
America is full of racism due to its long history, just look at trump and you will see for yourself.british ppl are generally nicer.

no they are not, have you heard about the Windrush scandal?
Original post by fattyguen
what do you mean there could be black privilege now?

now police will have to think twice about their actions if they are dealing with a black person. On the one hand this is good news as it means more justice for innocent lives... but on the other hand, it means more guilty black people can get away with their crimes.
I agree with you, police brutality isn't that big of a deal here

just because you dont see it and its not in the news doesnt mean it isnt there. on social media you can find various videos of police brutality
Any reason why there are anon's in this thread?
now police will have to think twice about their actions if they are dealing with a black person. On the one hand this is good news as it means more justice for innocent lives... but on the other hand, it means more guilty black people can get away with their crimes.

No they won’t? It means that police shouldn’t automatically result to shooting people. There are other ways to restrain and arrest people rather than shooting and killing them. Tasers for example.
Reply 12
now police will have to think twice about their actions if they are dealing with a black person.

you mean they'll have to use their brains? unthINKABLE
Original post by fattyguen
just because you dont see it and its not in the news doesnt mean it isnt there. on social media you can find various videos of police brutality

Yes, I know that, but its extremely rare. It isn't big enough to protest about, at least not during this time(coronavirus). There is police brutality/discrimination in almost every country, I'm sure, but now isn't the time to go out into the streets with no social distancing to protest about it.

well thats just stupid.

the police are meant to treat everyone equally either way this isn't 'black privilege' this should be equality.

and do you know the amount of white people who get away with there crimes?? man get some sense into your head.
Original post by beyond21

How is Trump racist?
Meh I don't think that people should be protesting during a pandemic.
Yes, I know that, but its extremely rare. It isn't big enough to protest about, at least not during this time(coronavirus). There is police brutality/discrimination in almost every country, I'm sure, but now isn't the time to go out into the streets with no social distancing to protest about it.

its not extremely rare mate especially if you've seen it.

you guys really need to open your eyes, just cuz you havent had friends affected by being pushed to the ground by police doesnt mean it isnt happening everyday.

yes it does happen in every counrty but england is meant to be some developed country with great human rights but that doesnt show with police brutality does it
Original post by 1st superstar
Meh I don't think that people should be protesting during a pandemic.

They did try using social media and nothing happened. At the end of the day, most protestors understand the severity of COVID and wear masks etc. Issues such as human rights need to be discussed. If the police and government don’t want the protests, they should do something about police brutality and racism.
Original post by sang-jun
How is Trump racist?

how is trump racist?

he calls black people 'the blacks'
hes asked for the 'total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the US'
hes said 'laziness is a trait in blacks'
he calls japanese people 'the japs' (which is known to be offensive to japanese folk)

there could be more, you do your research

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending