The Student Room Group

Honestly what is the big deal about wearing masks whenever you are out?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by donnyF
cases have gone up since they were made.mandatory. it's not about a virus, it's about control.

the number of guitars owned per capita has gone up with the number of passenger flights made, what will you conclude about that?
Reply 21
Original post by deadroseex
I can't wear one. As soon as I try to put them on, my head starts to hurt and I struggle to breath. I don't know why? I have tried loads of masks and different things, but it just doesn't work for me. Wherever I have to I do put it on though!

Please speak to your GP. A mask should not be suffocating you.
I mean it worsens my social anxiety a lot but what can I do? I’m also part of the vulnerable people so I just have to. It is hard to breathe and it hurts my ears
Original post by LovelyMrFox
Please speak to your GP. A mask should not be suffocating you.

My blood test got cancelled because of Covid! The GP said I have signs of anemia but she couldn't diagnose me because I needed to go to the hospital for the blood test. They haven't rescheduled yet so I don't know. It may be something else, so I will try getting my mum to get me an appointment as soon as possible because I agree a mask should not be suffocating me.
Original post by xsowmix
I have the same problem as well because of my asthma. Try the silk ones, they are a bit more breathable.

I will order one right now. Thank you so much! This has made my life so much more easier! x
Reply 25
Original post by Moonlight rain
I mean it worsens my social anxiety a lot but what can I do? I’m also part of the vulnerable people so I just have to. It is hard to breathe and it hurts my ears

You can get masks with longer ear loops and toggles to adjust, or get ones that tie round your head.
Original post by Surnia
Where's your evidence for this? I'm seeing lockdown in cities, not rural areas, and personal experience says people are wearing masks, and correctly. Where else is the problem about where they supposed to wear masks other than shops and public transport?

Lockdowns are necessary in the cities because of its population density and that it’s harder to track and trace when it’s so crowded everywhere. When cases rise again, which they now are, it will become disastrous even in rural areas where there’s more open areas. Properly handling/disposing of the mask is also important, and sadly from personal experience people just grab their masks and put it in their pockets, reusing old masks that are clearly used (half broken). It’s to just avoid excess handling of the masks which might increase the risk of catching the virus.
Original post by Mesopotamian.
I am fully aware of the incubation period for Covid-19. You seem to think I'm refuting asymptomatic spread - I am not. I said that there is no evidence (that I am aware of) that simply talking can spread the virus (asymptomatically). As I've already pointed out, becoming infected with any pathogenic agent is dependant on several factors such as transmissibility, infectivity and invasiveness. For respiratory spread in particular which is relevant to Covid-19, it depends on infective discharge and aerosol droplet size additionally - how big are aerosol droplets produced when talking, and what is the infective discharge?

This is in response to your suggestion that mask wearing should be mandatory at all times outside, including open air spaces, because you think people can spread Covid-19 through talking.
My point is, unless evidence comes to light that Covid-19 is spread via talking, then I do not support that suggestion.

Furthermore, the first piece of research says "First, the incidence of asymptomatic compared with symptomatic SARS-CoV-2 infection needs to be determined" - yes that would be a good idea. It then also goes on to say "Second, given that a large proportion of infections probably result from transmission from asymptomatic or presymptomatic persons" - the world "probably" means nothing in the scientific world and is just an assumption until further evidence comes to light I'm afraid. This article talks a lot about asymptomatic spread, but doesn't mention specific mechanisms.

The second article is more promising, as it discusses "shedding" which is true enough and mentions some of the factors I was referring to. However again, asymptomatic spread via shedding is not the same as talking, (asymptomatic persons could touch their face/mouth which transfers sheddings onto their hands which they then go on to touch something else, somebody else than touches that object and becomes infected etc etc.).

More research is needed to find out whether Covid-19 can be spread via talking before implementing laws to address that, is my point.

Strictly speaking I did not say that talking alone is the main reason for why I proposed the idea that everyone should wear a mask even on the streets. The main reasons for that are the problem with mask handling and when social distancing doesn’t seem to be happening on the streets at all.

A law shouldn’t be implemented for that purpose, I agree, as it could pose a lot of controversy in the UK due to cultural reasons. The point I am trying to make is that perhaps people that are able to do so can further speed things up and protect people around them and themselves by actively wearing masks and be more aware of their hygiene. So that lockdown can end earlier.
Reply 28
Original post by Anonymous
Lockdowns are necessary in the cities because of its population density and that it’s harder to track and trace when it’s so crowded everywhere. When cases rise again, which they now are, it will become disastrous even in rural areas where there’s more open areas. Properly handling/disposing of the mask is also important, and sadly from personal experience people just grab their masks and put it in their pockets, reusing old masks that are clearly used (half broken). It’s to just avoid excess handling of the masks which might increase the risk of catching the virus.

That doesn't answer my question in relation to your statement that "It’s just that in a lot of more rural parts of the UK, unfortunately, people are still skeptical about mask wearing and only reluctantly and incorrectly wear it in shops/public transport." What are you basing that on?
Original post by Surnia
That doesn't answer my question in relation to your statement that "It’s just that in a lot of more rural parts of the UK, unfortunately, people are still skeptical about mask wearing and only reluctantly and incorrectly wear it in shops/public transport." What are you basing that on?

Personal observation and anti-mask protests
Reply 30
Personal observation and anti-mask protests

Anti-mask protests are happening in rural areas? Source?

I'm not seeing any problems in rural areas; just the opposite. They've been following the rules, but that's what you get in the small friendly market towns etc.
One good thing about masks is it has fecked up any government plans to roll out facial recognition technology. Even when CV is back in the box (hopefully) there will still be plenty of people wanting to wear masks, just as with Asians after SARS.
For many years now, in summer, you haven't been able to move on the Bowness to Ambleside ferry for Japanese people wearing masks.
I think some people believe that all these efforts to protect this minority of people are largely futile anyway, because the fact that the virus is so easy to spread and difficult to detect implies that almost every person is bound to end up being infected by it regardless; trying to avoid it is like trying to avoid the common cold.

Some people are also philosophically opposed to the idea that the lives of a few outweigh the freedom of the many (given that it's only a minority of people who will actually die due to contracting Covid-19, and believe that inconvenient and apparently indefinite change to our usual way of life isn't worth the proportionally few lives that might be saved by it.

Many also doubt the efficacy of masks, given that there used to be a time when detection of a Covid infection would warrant full on evacuations of buildings and deep-cleaning by people in hazardous materials suits, when we were told that the virus can live on surfaces for several days, and when the official advice from the government was that the average cloth mask is not particularly effective.

There is also doubt over the extent to which the intention of these measures is to actually reduce the spread of the virus, versus simply "looking like we're doing something". There appears to be more of an emphasis on seemingly low efficacy, high visibility measures such as wearing a mask (even if it's a very low quality one) on public transport or having one's temperature checked immediately before entering a shop (using very unreliable equipment) - perhaps to give people confidence to continue their economic activities, or to promote confidence in the idea that the government is doing a good job. Whereas measures which are more effective but perhaps less visible or which have higher economic impact are less encouraged.
Original post by Just my opinion
One good thing about masks is it has fecked up any government plans to roll out facial recognition technology. Even when CV is back in the box (hopefully) there will still be plenty of people wanting to wear masks, just as with Asians after SARS.
For many years now, in summer, you haven't been able to move on the Bowness to Ambleside ferry for Japanese people wearing masks.

I'd say it's also a positive thing that the people who used to cry "ban the burka" seem to have gone awfully quiet during this pandemic. I do wonder what happened to "face coverings are a security risk!" and "facial expressions are crucial for communication!" and "it's oppressive because they're forced to wear it!"...
Reply 34
Original post by tazarooni89
I'd say it's also a positive thing that the people who used to cry "ban the burka" seem to have gone awfully quiet during this pandemic. I do wonder what happened to "face coverings are a security risk!" and "facial expressions are crucial for communication!" and "it's oppressive because they're forced to wear it!"...

There have been some deliciously ironic stories of people being continued to be prosecuted in places like France et al. for wearing face coverings at the same time the government is ordering people to - the optics on it being decidedly poor :lol:
Original post by tazarooni89

I still find myself smiling at shop workers even though I am wearing a mask then realising how stupid I am.
Original post by DiddyDec
I still find myself smiling at shop workers even though I am wearing a mask then realising how stupid I am.

They will see by your eyes that you're smiling.
For the first 12 weeks of all this were were told by all the experts from Dr Faucci in America to Dr Hillary on GMB, that wearing a mask was a waste of time, in fact it was worse than that as it made you more likely to catch the virus. Then they admitted that they were lying all along because they were afraid we would run out of stocks for front line workers.
Now people don't trust what the authorities say they only have themselves to blame.
You can easily make an effective mask out of a sock. There are numerous tutorials on YT.
Now I wear a mask to protect others in case I have it because that's what the government has told me is the right thing to do, but I don't know if it true or not.
It’s not like you have to wear it at home 24/7, and definitely wearing a mask does not make you become a criminal that will go rob shops. I seriously don’t get why people are still debating about masks.

It’s not even going to suffocate you to death. Doctors wear it all the time and they are still alive and well. So either you “can’t breathe” now or won’t be able to breathe in the future/forever.

It protects other people and yourself when most people wear masks on the streets. On the other hand, wearing a mask does not mean you’re completely immune. Basic hygiene and cleaning habits also count.

I’m just wondering how many more waves do we have to have in order for people to change their habits and accept that this will be a part of our lives until there’s a vaccine/cure and that wearing a mask should not be stigmatized. Instead, it is just a common practice to prevent infectious diseases from spreading and not only ill people should wear it in times of an epidemic/pandemic.

Freshers flu will no longer be a huge thing if people actually wear masks to avoid spreading it to others and stay home if they are sick.

I get some people find discomfort in things being on their face, or a feeling of being suffocated because they have material strapped over their face. I think its a really controversial topic, because at the beginning of lockdown, the media implied that masks were useless, and now they seem to be mandatory. However, any policy enforced by the government will be criticised. The thing that frustrates me the most, is that its people our age who are being blamed for the spread, when the majority of us are following the rules.
Reply 39
Original post by leiawrightzy
I get some people find discomfort in things being on their face, or a feeling of being suffocated because they have material strapped over their face. I think its a really controversial topic, because at the beginning of lockdown, the media implied that masks were useless, and now they seem to be mandatory. However, any policy enforced by the government will be criticised. The thing that frustrates me the most, is that its people our age who are being blamed for the spread, when the majority of us are following the rules.

People will feel more uncomfortable if they contract Covid and need an oxygen mask!

When you say 'our age' have you seen which age group is seeing the biggest rise in the number of infections?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending