The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why are people so nasty towards Trump supporters?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Drewski
Based on your many years experience of investigating terrorism, this means a lot to all of us.

Oh no, wait. The opposite. Yes, the exact opposite of that.

Useful reply.

You should calm down a bit, or take a break from the site - your not usually this nasty on here.

Otherwise, your welcome to explain why they are correct in their choice to define the terms in the way they have, and why I am wrong in wanting to include, Antifa + Antifa inspired violence the category of far-left terrorism. But don't just appeal to authority.. it doesn't leave us anywhere to go..
Original post by fallen_acorns
its not surprising that they find more far-right terrorism when they refuse to include violence carried out by the far left. They found once example of far-left violence? really.. I can think of more than that without needing to crack out google. The far left have litterally spent 2020 burning down buildings and businesses and asulting people for political/ideological reasons.. and yet, nope - doesn't count.

Why do you want the thread locked?

your first paragraph has the intellectual content of a damp fart

but I'll happily answer your question: TSR should not legitimise/encourage climate change denialism and far-right dog-whistles
Original post by barnetlad
You can be a Republican and not like Trump. Not all Republicans are like him.

Then they should spend more time calling out his monumentally dangerous and destabilising behaviour and less time whining about leftists infringing on their rights
Because in the modern world people are incapable of accepting the idea that it is perfectly valid for people to hold different opinions and in this specific instance that there are perfectly reasonable reasons to support Trump, so in their minds those who support Trump have something wrong with them, likewise Brexit supporters and to a lesser extent Tory voters.
Original post by StrangeBanana
your first paragraph has the intellectual content of a damp fart

but I'll happily answer your question: TSR should not legitimise/encourage climate change denialism and far-right dog-whistles

I'm not going to take the bait on the first bit.

For the second - you know you've stumbled into the 'debate' section of the site right? This is precisely the place for debates around climate denial, and far right violence. The debate rather fades if you shut one of the sides down from contributing. I'm not a climate denalist, but if they want to come and defend their possition - so be it. I'm sure there will be a massive thread of people making them look like an idiot. All the better for it.
Original post by Jammy Duel
Because in the modern world people are incapable of accepting the idea that it is perfectly valid for people to hold different opinions and in this specific instance that there are perfectly reasonable reasons to support Trump, so in their minds those who support Trump have something wrong with them, likewise Brexit supporters and to a lesser extent Tory voters.

give me one "reasonable reason" (excellent turn of phrase, by the way) to support him

don't conflate brexiteers and trump-supporters - the analogy can be interesting but leavers aren't actively trying to overthrow democracy
For the second - you know you've stumbled into the 'debate' section of the site right

In fairness, this thread began life in Chat.
Original post by TheStarboy
He’s a troll anyway. Messaged me about sending inappropriate messages to his gf, despite me not being active for a while and not knowing who the hell he or his gf even are. Definitely a weird person

dont ask people for nudes on instagram then, and if you aren’t starboy0143 on there, and its a coincidence let me know
Useful reply.

You should calm down a bit, or take a break from the site - your not usually this nasty on here.

*You're not normally this thick, but here we are.
Original post by Drewski
In fairness, this thread began life in Chat.

fair point - Good modding job then
Original post by weightlifting98
dont ask people for nudes on instagram then, and if you aren’t starboy0143 on there, and its a coincidence let me know

Why would I use the same username on Instagram that I do on here? Sorry for taking this off topic but WTF? And why would I even message random people?
Original post by TheStarboy
Why would I use the same username on Instagram that I do on here? Sorry for taking this off topic but WTF?

off to uni now - so no time to talk.

thanks for clarifying, see you!
Original post by Drewski
*You're not normally this thick, but here we are.

I mean I'll try and take that as a compliment in a backhanded kind of way - but still.. why are you keeping going with the personal crap. Were both older posters on here not trolls or people who have any history of insulting each other. What's the deal with being so personal today?
Reply 73
Original post by Rakas21
It's quite alarming that over two pages a lot of people seem to be defending these actions by pointing out that support for Trump is not logical to them.

This arguably speaks to the answer to your question OP. The modern liberal movement has been infested by illiberal progressives who believe in things like censuring arguments they disagree with, no platforming or calling people they disagree with idiots.

To those of you in this thread the OP is not arguing that you should support Trump, he is asking why he is subject to abuse because of that. You disagreeing with his opinion is not justification if you believe in basic liberties like free speech.

For shame several of you.

I agree, but please don't call me a he.
Original post by weightlifting98

decent trolling tbf

I'm not going to take the bait on the first bit.

For the second - you know you've stumbled into the 'debate' section of the site right? This is precisely the place for debates around climate denial, and far right violence. The debate rather fades if you shut one of the sides down from contributing. I'm not a climate denalist, but if they want to come and defend their possition - so be it. I'm sure there will be a massive thread of people making them look like an idiot. All the better for it.

it's an observation not a provocation

no, some things are not up for debate in a civilised society. let me give you a few thread titles that should warrant deletion:
- "why should I change my carbon output when there is no evidence for climate change?"
- "why do Jews control so much wealth?"
- "why do homosexuals make bad parents?"
- "why are trans women so aggressive and violent?"

none of these "debates" are honest or legitimate
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 75
Original post by StrangeBanana
some opinions are bad, and the people who hold them and corporations who sponsor them absolutely deserve to be silenced/ridiculed/punished/fined/de-platformed

this isn't new: society is allowed to decide what speech is valid disagreement and what is dangerous - most of Trump's rhetoric is the latter

People like you are the reason why people like Trump and Boris Johnson are in power.
Reply 76
Original post by Drewski
Also noting that OP's been a hit and run poster. They've buggered off.

No. I've been busy. I have a life.
Original post by Fruli
People like you are the reason why people like Trump and Boris Johnson are in power.

you will be the first in the guillotine when the revolution comes
If you wanna be a Trump supporter, I won't hate you for it. You're entitled to your opinion and choices. But if you behave like the stereotypical backwater Trump supporter that you often see on the news, yeah I'm not going to think highly of you.
Reply 79
its not surprising that they find more far-right terrorism when they refuse to include violence carried out by the far left. They found once example of far-left violence? really.. I can think of more than that without needing to crack out google. The far left have litterally spent 2020 burning down buildings and businesses and asulting people for political/ideological reasons.. and yet, nope - doesn't count.

Why do you want the thread locked?

I can't believe @StrangeBanana wants this thread locked and is also calling for posters to be banned over non-issues. George Orwell warned us about this.

Latest

Trending

Trending