The Student Room Group

Mechanics - acceleration

So there is one question where a straight-line graph is plotted and I am asked to find the acceleration using it. ( on the y-axis is time^2 in seconds^2 and on the x-axis is the distance in m)

The gradient of the line is 0.21 (this question was on a test and I do not have a picture of the question, but I remember this)

the equation is:

t = 2s/g

using the gradient and points from the graph, calculate what g is.
(I do not remember any points from the results table, lets called any given points a and b)

How would you find out what g is using the gradient any points from the graph/results table?
Original post by Thanquinho
So there is one question where a straight-line graph is plotted and I am asked to find the acceleration using it. ( on the y-axis is time^2 in seconds^2 and on the x-axis is the distance in m)

The gradient of the line is 0.21 (this question was on a test and I do not have a picture of the question, but I remember this)

the equation is:

t = 2s/g

using the gradient and points from the graph, calculate what g is.
(I do not remember any points from the results table, lets called any given points a and b)

How would you find out what g is using the gradient any points from the graph/results table?

s=ut+at22s=ut+\frac{at^2}{2}

A straight line would imply u=0. y=t2=..\therefore y=t^2=..
Reply 2
Original post by RogerOxon
s=ut+at22s=ut+\frac{at^2}{2}

A straight line would imply u=0. y=t2=..\therefore y=t^2=..

So it would be s = 0.5a * t^2
and if I arrange it I would get a = 2s/t^2?
How is the gradient involved because it asks me to use the gradient as well, which is t^2/s (seconds^2/meters)
Original post by Thanquinho
So it would be s = 0.5a * t^2
and if I arrange it I would get a = 2s/t^2?
How is the gradient involved because it asks me to use the gradient as well, which is t^2/s (seconds^2/meters)

Put it in y=mx form to get the gradient.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by RogerOxon
Put it in y=mx form to get the gradient.

So I worked out the gradient to be 0.21
y = mx + c
any value for y = 0.21* value for x + c
then I find out what c is
now I got the line y = mx + c (where c is a worked-out number)
Then how do I use it to find out what the acceleration is?

Sorry for asking so many questions but I need to make sure I understand the process in order to solve the problem, thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest