The Student Room Group

AS Level Mathematics Unit 2 WJEC

Hi I just finished my unit 2 exam and it was pretty easy, there was only one question that I think I'm right but not really sure, it was the number 10 Mechanics question, where we were asked about the tension, acceleration and time taken. It was something like this:
a light inextensible string connects two boxes. Object A is 4.5kg and Object B is 7.5kg. Object A is held down on a horizontal platform. B is held 1.8m above from the ground. What is the tension between the two objects.
Object A is then released what is the magnitude of the acceleration of A
How long will it take for A to reach the same height as b from the ground

Does anyone have an answer??? And also how did you guys find it?
Reply 1
Original post by iamour
Hi I just finished my unit 2 exam and it was pretty easy, there was only one question that I think I'm right but not really sure, it was the number 10 Mechanics question, where we were asked about the tension, acceleration and time taken. It was something like this:
a light inextensible string connects two boxes. Object A is 4.5kg and Object B is 7.5kg. Object A is held down on a horizontal platform. B is held 1.8m above from the ground. What is the tension between the two objects.
Object A is then released what is the magnitude of the acceleration of A
How long will it take for A to reach the same height as b from the ground

Does anyone have an answer??? And also how did you guys find it?

I found it quite hard tbh, the stats bit was nicer than the mechanics. I struggled on that question too, what did you get for your acceleration of you remember?
Reply 2
Original post by btom200
I found it quite hard tbh, the stats bit was nicer than the mechanics. I struggled on that question too, what did you get for your acceleration of you remember?

I'm sorry you found it hard. Yeah definitely, the stats was way easier than the mechanics. My acceleration was 6.53 approximately. Because my tension was the weight of B (7.5*9.8)
Original post by iamour
I'm sorry you found it hard. Yeah definitely, the stats was way easier than the mechanics. My acceleration was 6.53 approximately. Because my tension was the weight of B (7.5*9.8)

My acceleration was also around 6ms-2. But it was a nice exam. Much better than last year's in my opinion.
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest