The Student Room Group

Help with mechanics please

"A bus sets off from stop A and accelerates uniformly for (t1) seconds covering 300m. It then travels at a constant speed (v) for (t2) seconds covering another 1250m. It decelerates for (t3) seconds to come to rest at stop B. Given that the total time for the journey is 3 minutes and that 2(t1) = 3(t3), find (t1), (t2), (t3), (v) and the distance AB."
I know that I need to use SUVAT, but I've spent ages trying to do this question and nothing I've done has gotten me anywhere. I also don't feel like I have enough information to draw a velocity time graph..
Where do I start?
Reply 1
Original post by 218249.18
"A bus sets off from stop A and accelerates uniformly for (t1) seconds covering 300m. It then travels at a constant speed (v) for (t2) seconds covering another 1250m. It decelerates for (t3) seconds to come to rest at stop B. Given that the total time for the journey is 3 minutes and that 2(t1) = 3(t3), find (t1), (t2), (t3), (v) and the distance AB."
I know that I need to use SUVAT, but I've spent ages trying to do this question and nothing I've done has gotten me anywhere. I also don't feel like I have enough information to draw a velocity time graph..
Where do I start?
You should be able to sketch the trapezium and mark on the information. The question doesnt ask for either acceleration, so using the suvat without it or equivalently thinking about the area under the velocity curve seems to be the way to go.
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest