The Student Room Group

Trigonometry or Pythagoras

Hey, I have the question below and I was just wondering if someone could help me out, I'm confused because I don't think you use trigonometric functions to solve it, but I wanted to know if my answer using Pythagoras is correct.

a^2+b^2=c^2
150^2+120^2=c^2
36900=c^2
(Square Root of) 36900 = c
c = 192m (to the nearest metre)
?
if a,b,c are the sides of a right angled triangle and c is the longest side then it looks good
Original post by the bear
if a,b,c are the sides of a right angled triangle and c is the longest side then it looks good

Capture.PNG this is the triangle, it isnt right angled so I'm unsure?
Original post by Kakakaty
Capture.PNG this is the triangle, it isnt right angled so I'm unsure?

there is not a right angle, so Pythagoras won't help you
FB = 150m
BG = 120m
FG^2=150^2+120^2-2(150)(120) cos(86)
FG^2= 34388.7696
FG = (Square Root Of) 34388.7696
FG = 185 (Rounded to the nearest metre)
Is this correct?
^?
Anyone?
Reply 7
Looks ok (right method and ~ans), but not typed the numbers into my calc.
Original post by mqb2766
Looks ok (right method and ~ans), but not typed the numbers into my calc.

Thankyou.
For a question like this one would I have to use the Cosine Rule to find angle x?
Capture.PNG
Anyone able to help with ^
Thankyou.
For a question like this one would I have to use the Cosine Rule to find angle x?
Capture.PNG

the sine rule would be best here
the sine rule would be best here

How do you figure out which rule would be best to use?
Google it, it's a common question.

Cos works when you have a "<", i.e. know two sides and the angle between them and you want to find the third side. Or you know all three sides and want to find an angle.

Sin works when you know an angle and the opposing side, a and A, say. You also know another side or angle and want to find its opposing angle or side.
(edited 3 years ago)
How do you figure out which rule would be best to use?

you can always try the sine rule first.... if it does not work then switch over to the cosine rule.
you can always try the sine rule first.... if it does not work then switch over to the cosine rule.

Since the angle of 83° isn’t an included angle, you apply sine rule may lead to ambiguous cases. You should test whether an obtuse angle solution is valid.

Quick Reply

Latest