The Student Room Group

Official Veterinary Medicine Applicants thread 2024 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by Euapp
Without having checked the RVC website it seems good to me. I👍🏻

Thankyou for your help! The specific farmer was willing to sign my reference forms, but doesn't have a company stamp, so I'll ask him to email my universities when the time comes
Reply 181
Original post by Flappy
Thankyou for your help! The specific farmer was willing to sign my reference forms, but doesn't have a company stamp, so I'll ask him to email my universities when the time comes

Not having a stamp is common for farming placements. The most important thing is to have the reference with the correct details in terms of hours/ days/ weeks etc with a name and contact information.
Pleased you got it sorted out.😊
Hi everyone!! I am an international student studying the IB (going into final year) in Germany I am applying this year for 2024 entry, probably to the RVC, Edinburgh, Glasgow and something else. I really want to study vetmed at the RVC but am not sure if I would be able to get in so am thinking about applying to the graduate accelerated program postgraduate. Is anyone else planning to apply for other degrees first (e.g., zoology) too?
Hi guys! I know it's a quiet time as applications are still a little while away, but I have decided to start a 'grow your grades' blog for my third year as a Liverpool vet student to help keep me motivated but have also added a lot of my common advice I give out here on the first post which may be useful to have a read of. The link is here. If you don't know me, I'm Ramble and I do help a lot on the vet forum so I'm sure you'll see me posting around if anyone has any relevant questions on here, and if you want to ask me anything feel free to tag or PM me :smile:
Hi guys! I know it's a quiet time as applications are still a little while away, but I have decided to start a 'grow your grades' blog for my third year as a Liverpool vet student to help keep me motivated but have also added a lot of my common advice I give out here on the first post which may be useful to have a read of. The link is here. If you don't know me, I'm Ramble and I do help a lot on the vet forum so I'm sure you'll see me posting around if anyone has any relevant questions on here, and if you want to ask me anything feel free to tag or PM me :smile:
Original post by clozapine
Hi! I'm actually currently in year 13 undergoing the application process rn but I've applied for 2024 entry at 3/4 of my unis and will withdraw from the uni that won't let me defer---however I want to see if I'll be offered an interview and I'll go to it for the experience (and if I get an offer for foundation but not the 5 year I might consider not taking a gap year) so I can decide if I want to include them when applying again if I don't get in. I wasn't originally planning on applying until next year but was told I would regret it and am so glad that I have bc I've grown tremedously from the experience!!
Currently studying A levels- bio, chem, psych
And I've applied to RVC (interview), Bristol (Hold), Nottingham (interview) and Uclan (acknowledged),, if theres anyone in my position pls let me know bc I couldn't find anyone on the thread for my year whos defering and taking a gap year!! If I end up reapplying I'll be right back on this thread next year :smile:

Hi have you already submitted your UCAS application then? I'm year 13 and am submitting it this week. I had no clue you could hear back about if you got an interview already when most people haven't even put in their application yet.
Thanks Ramble. Very kind of you. I'm a mum of an applicant and have lurked a few months learning lots from you and others. I'm sure we will have lots of questions especially this term. Good luck with your 3rd year. My daughter will be applying to Liverpool, she really loved her visit there.
Just wanted to pop on as the new cycle begins soon that if anyone has any questions regarding applying/reapplying, access courses, interviews etc my dms are open. Any Bristol specific questions I’ll also do my best to answer alongside @Euapp, I move Friday and so will be brutally honest on my adjustment to vet school 😁
Best of luck to everyone applying this year.
Reply 188
Hi, I am re sitting my A levels (I got a B and 2 C's) and re applying in this cycle so I will be in touch if that's ok for some guidance :biggrin: Thanks.
(Original post by ALEreapp)Just wanted to pop on as the new cycle begins soon that if anyone has any questions regarding applying/reapplying, access courses, interviews etc my dms are open. Any Bristol specific questions I’ll also do my best to answer alongside @Euapp, I move Friday and so will be brutally honest on my adjustment to vet school 😁

Original post by ALEreapp
Just wanted to pop on as the new cycle begins soon that if anyone has any questions regarding applying/reapplying, access courses, interviews etc my dms are open. Any Bristol specific questions I’ll also do my best to answer alongside @Euapp, I move Friday and so will be brutally honest on my adjustment to vet school 😁
Original post by Anna.joy.charles
Hi have you already submitted your UCAS application then? I'm year 13 and am submitting it this week. I had no clue you could hear back about if you got an interview already when most people haven't even put in their application yet.

hi!! I actually applied last year (2022!!) when I was in year 13 I wrote that post at some point during the application process,, I'm on a gap year now taking some time off before I start at nottingham next year!! good luck with your UCAS form its such an overly stressful thing to submit and only one of the unis i applied to looked at my personal statement!!

And I dont think you can hear back from unis in most cases before everyones got their oct 15th (is it 16th this year??) application in since they have that deadline for equal consideration so dont worry :smile:
Original post by RambleAmple

I'm just finalising my UCAS application today. I've picked 4 vet med courses and wanted to choose vet physio as my 5th but not sure if that's allowed as I know there's a limit on how many vet courses you can pick. Does anyone know if my options will be OK?
Reply 191
Hi, I'm Courtney and I'm in Year 13 (equivalent to Year 11 in England I think). I'm from Northern Ireland.
I'd like to do veterinary medicine as well as going on to be a surgeon too.
I'd like to apply to Edinburgh or Glasgow
I'm currently studying Biology, Chemistry, English Literature and Psychology
I received 4 A's in Maths, Biology, Geography and English Language; 6 B's in R.E., Chemistry, Furthermaths, Physics, English Literature, Agriculture and land use,
Original post by Anna.joy.charles
I'm just finalising my UCAS application today. I've picked 4 vet med courses and wanted to choose vet physio as my 5th but not sure if that's allowed as I know there's a limit on how many vet courses you can pick. Does anyone know if my options will be OK?

Vet physio will be fine, it's just a limit on the actual vet med courses. I actually read somewhere you can put a gateway vet med as your 5th too? I'm not sure if that's true though I'm just sure I read it somewhere on here before.
Original post by cpotts259
Hi, I'm Courtney and I'm in Year 13 (equivalent to Year 11 in England I think). I'm from Northern Ireland.
I'd like to do veterinary medicine as well as going on to be a surgeon too.
I'd like to apply to Edinburgh or Glasgow
I'm currently studying Biology, Chemistry, English Literature and Psychology
I received 4 A's in Maths, Biology, Geography and English Language; 6 B's in R.E., Chemistry, Furthermaths, Physics, English Literature, Agriculture and land use,

My daughter is year 14 and applying this year. Scottish unis are very hard to get into as have a quota for non Scottish (England, Wales, NI and ROI). It's only about 30-35 I believe. We were advised to only to apply to one Scottish uni to maximise your chances. Of course it's up to you but be aware of the numbers as they are popular and consequently it's very competitive. The vet school council publish a document on each vet school with a summary and the entry requirements. It gives you stats on number of applicants per place. It is a great starting point. Do look at the university website to ensure you have the update info.

I'd also advise starting to do your work experience. If you haven't already. You can get vet practice experience in half terms then line up lambing in March or April. Next summer you could get kennels/cattery/dairy. Living in NI means you are always close to a farm!

Good luck, it's great you are getting organised now as there is a lot to do to make a competitive application.
Is there any graduate students on here applying for GAB or 5 year undergrad?
Hi, I’m a mum of a standard Y13 applicant who is starting at Nottingham next week.
She’s just an average student who went through the traditional application process and received 2 offers, was put on hold by her 3rd university and then rejected by the 4th choice. She’s dyslexic but other than that sat 3 A levels, biology, chemistry and English lit. So pretty standard stuff but it’s not often that you hear of ‘normal’ A level to vet med journeys on the chat. We were very methodical about the process (which was the only way we stayed sane and calm 😂)
I suppose what I’m saying is that if any parents want any help through the process just message me. I’m happy to chat through what worked for us.. I know it helped me immensely to speak to other parents who had just had successful Y13 applicants.. just to understand how the process went and how we tackled every stage.
I’m definitely NOT an expert by any means but I’m a good listener! And it’s a stressful time which I feel incredibly grateful that we don’t have to repeat 🥹
Original post by karishma979
Is there any graduate students on here applying for GAB or 5 year undergrad?

Hiya! I am applying to both GAB and 5 year undergrad for vet med too. :smile:
Does anyone know the dates for the Bristol SAQ please - specifically when it will need to be returned?
Hi I am hoping to apply for Bristol, Harper-keele, UCLAN, bio veterinary science at harper adams and a vet nursing course. I have experience at a kennels, small animal vet, zoo, abattoir, canine hydrotherapy unit and stables. I am really excited about the vet course but I don’t know many people how are applying to vet schools and I am really worried about not having lambing experience or dairy farm experience does anyone know any places I could go to as I live in the West Midlands.
Thanks for your help
Grace xxx
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 199
Original post by happyplace11
Hi, I’m a mum of a standard Y13 applicant who is starting at Nottingham next week.
She’s just an average student who went through the traditional application process and received 2 offers, was put on hold by her 3rd university and then rejected by the 4th choice. She’s dyslexic but other than that sat 3 A levels, biology, chemistry and English lit. So pretty standard stuff but it’s not often that you hear of ‘normal’ A level to vet med journeys on the chat. We were very methodical about the process (which was the only way we stayed sane and calm 😂)
I suppose what I’m saying is that if any parents want any help through the process just message me. I’m happy to chat through what worked for us.. I know it helped me immensely to speak to other parents who had just had successful Y13 applicants.. just to understand how the process went and how we tackled every stage.
I’m definitely NOT an expert by any means but I’m a good listener! And it’s a stressful time which I feel incredibly grateful that we don’t have to repeat 🥹

When you read all the comments on TSR it does sometimes look like the standard A level to uni route is rare, but in fact the majority of students at vet school do follow this schéma even if gap year students, retake students and mature students are not rare either.
Maybe it’s because it’s the students that are less confident or have less family support that look to TSR to fill the gap, something it does very well. With people like @ALEreapp , @flamingolover, @RambleAmple and @aliaa03 and now you, TSR is a great support network.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending