The Student Room Group

Official Veterinary Medicine Applicants thread 2024 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Milliemum17
Can I ask what course you are considering for your 5th non-vet course on your ucas application? Wondering if its best to choose a vet related bioscience type course, possibly access course, or go with a 3yr degree ? Trying to have the best chance of getting into vet school if A levels, interviews etc don't come off 1st time. Any advice?

Just be aware that if you do a 3 year degree 1st you can’t get loans for a 2nd degree. Also if you are unsuccessful in interviews for vet schools they may offer you an alternative course anyway. Definitely choose one vet school with lower grade requirements (one of the newer ones) and don’t bother with the 5th choice unless you think you might have a wobble and take another course.
Original post by Milliemum17
Can I ask what course you are considering for your 5th non-vet course on your ucas application? Wondering if its best to choose a vet related bioscience type course, possibly access course, or go with a 3yr degree ? Trying to have the best chance of getting into vet school if A levels, interviews etc don't come off 1st time. Any advice?

I applied to something completely different. I went for marine biology at Liverpool. My idea was that I didn’t know if I could go through the application process all over again the next year if I didn’t get in. I know a lot of people don’t go for a 5th unless they aren’t planning to apply the year after. I know people who did a degree first as there isn’t as many places for access courses. Something to keep in mind is that if you go for a 3 year course the funding is different for the 5 year vet course as you will have already done you first degree
Reply 82
It’s the end of March!! It’s almost over!!
First of all for those where things didn’t go to plan, don’t think that you can’t do this because you can!! For some, selling themselves at interview comes easily, others are more reserved and find it harder, but it can be worked on, and not just through interview practice. Get yourself a job this summer where you have to interact with clients, and not just nice ones!! If you look at all the reapplicants on here, you’ll find that they all have this in common. They took themselves out of their comfort zone and forced themselves to interact with complete strangers, which after all is what vets are doing all day long!! It also makes making new friends and integration at uni a lot easier.
For those still waiting on replies and wait lists, I’m wishing you the best of luck, it’s almost over but there are places still to be had!!
And for everyone who has that or those valuable offers, CONGRATULATIONS 🎉, but don’t relax yet!! Some of you have exams still to pass, so make sure you get those grades!!
Good luck to everyone!! If you want it badly enough there is always a way!!
Hi, switching threads as just received my fourth vet med rejection so will be taking a gap year and reapplying in October. Not particularly looking forward to the process again but hoping it’s not as brutal now I know what to expect! Rejected post 3 interviews and finally just rejected from Bristol after being on hold since October. On wait list for HK but not holding out hope for that and have now decided to concentrate on getting the grades in a few weeks, getting a bit more ‘top up’ work experience for the new applications and then travelling and volunteering. Kind of looking forward to it now I have stopped being absolutely gutted!
Hello peeps, my name's Mohana, im currently in year 12 and im hoping to do Vet med in 2024!

Little things you should know :
- Unfortunately, due to health conditions, i didn't get the grades i was expecting in gcse chem and instead got a 6 (2 marks of a 7 !!) So, ill be resitting this year
- dream unis ? Harper and Keele vet school, uni of nottingham
- i do maths,bio and chem at a level, and im also undertaking the EPQ this year
- My hobbies include playing the piano, flute, singing and skincare? (if that counts as a hobby :/ )

Really nervous about whats coming, but im ready !
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Blahajbites
Hi all, Im a current y13 offer holder for both RVC gateway and Nottingham;
if there's any questions you guys have about the application process I'll try my best to help out :tongue:

When applying I had 235+ hrs work experience, including;

- 2 weeks at 2 different mixed practises
- A summer working in a boarding kennel (approaching 1 year now :biggrin:)
- 1 week's mornings at a cattery
- 1 week dairy
- 1 day pork abattoir
- 1 day vet labs
- 3 days after school volunteering at a stable

Usually you'd have lambing and more farm work in general, but I was under covid time restraints :redface:

I got rejected from my other 3 applications for;
- Nottingham Gateway (automatic as I met D100 criteria)
- RVC D100
- Bristol D100

Any questions, just let me know! :smile:

Oooh you got onto the gateway!
could you tell me a little bit more about the gateway course (i think i tick off a few criteria, i also am going to the summer school at rvc )

also is work experience more quality over quantity? Ive got around 3 weeks worth, but the place i live isnt very bustling with opportunities if you get what i mean.

Is it okay if you just explain a little bit about the ucas process in general? thanks :smile:
Original post by Anna.joy.charles
-A chance for 2024 vet med applicants to chat about work experience, applying to uni, uni visits and general vet med

Hello peeps, my name's Mohana, im currently in year 12 and im hoping to do Vet med in 2024!

Little things you should know :
- Unfortunately, due to health conditions, i didn't get the grades i was expecting in gcse chem and instead got a 6 (2 marks of a 7 !!) So, ill be resitting this year
- dream unis ? Harper and Keele vet school, uni of nottingham
- i do maths,bio and chem at a level, and im also undertaking the EPQ this year
- My hobbies include playing the piano, flute, singing and skincare? (if that counts as a hobby :/ )

Really nervous about whats coming, but im ready !
-A chance for 2024 vet med applicants to chat about work experience, applying to uni, uni visits and general vet med

I wanted to ask if anyone had any experience of applying for deferred entry? I'm considering taking a gap year after year 13 but still want to apply in October 2023 so I'm not preoccupied with uni application stuff in my gap year. I'm not sure if stating you're applying for deferred entry would affect your chances of getting in? I wouldn't want to do a gap year if I think it will mean I won't get an offer.
If anyone has experience with deferred vet school entry please share your knowledge haha!
(edited 1 year ago)
Hello!

So since I haven't yet received my interview feedback (I have emailed to ask for it :wink:) there's not too much I can say about say the interview process, as I performed well enough for gateway, but apparently not for D100; ill let you know when I hear back though!

As for the general application process, I qualified for entry due to home income, which automatically gives you the minimum points. On top of this, I had also done an online "course" of sorts on Sutton trust online, which further proved my criteria.

As for the summer school; is that the Sutton trust one or the regular £3000 one? Because I had gotten a place when I applied last year to the costly one, and chose not to go for plenty of reasons- mostly including the insane cost (really, 2 weeks activities for a third of a years tuition?) and the fact they've explicitly stated they do not show preference to those who've done the 'summer school that's really a glorified holiday', but hey, if you can afford to, and accept that it won't affect your chances, go ahead :tongue: @RambleAmple did go however, so feel free to ask them about it.

For work experience, the gateway actually has no required hours. Im sure it doesn't hurt though, as its endlessly helpful for your statement, interview and general approach. Im so much wiser about the whole thing than I was before all those hours of hard work! :smile:

Generally, vet schools prefer variety/quality over quantity, though in saying this, a long term commitment (say, volunteering after school once or twice a week for a few months) shows dedication, and is looked well upon. Best approach; get a bit of everything; abattoir, lab and exotic can really help stand out, but understandably they're difficult to arrange! I emailed 10+ abattoirs, but only got to one via a contact :redface: You really do have to just suck it up and be annoying for once though in putting yourself out there- I chanced my luck emailing the government labs and they actually said yes- so it gets results...eventually!

The UCAS process itself is...stressful! Id say don't worry too much over your statement- just avoid cliches like 'I've always wanted to be a vet since age 4' and 'I love animals and science' (both are a given for every applicant!) but really put your all into, and think carefully before answering your SAQ questions! If I recall correctly, I don't know if gateway applicants need to do one, I only remember filling out my "why I meet criteria" form, but this could be as they used my D100 essay for both applications :redface:

If you'd like to talk more personally, please let me know :fluffy:

Original post by momo_basket
Oooh you got onto the gateway!
could you tell me a little bit more about the gateway course (i think i tick off a few criteria, i also am going to the summer school at rvc )

also is work experience more quality over quantity? Ive got around 3 weeks worth, but the place i live isnt very bustling with opportunities if you get what i mean.

Is it okay if you just explain a little bit about the ucas process in general? thanks :smile:
Reply 89
I wanted to ask if anyone had any experience of applying for deferred entry? I'm considering taking a gap year after year 13 but still want to apply in October 2023 so I'm not preoccupied with uni application stuff in my gap year. I'm not sure if stating you're applying for deferred entry would affect your chances of getting in? I wouldn't want to do a gap year if I think it will mean I won't get an offer.
If anyone has experience with deferred vet school entry please share your knowledge haha!

Liverpool tend to make a large number deferred offers even if you don’t request it, and Bristol have no problem with it as long as you inform them before a date that is normally given each year on their web site.( Around the beginning of February if I remember correctly)As for the other schools you’ll have to check either on their web sites or e mail the admissions teams directly. I’d recommend doing this around June/ July when they’ve finished the bulk of work associated with the current application cycle but haven’t got A level results in yet so aren’t dealing with as much admin and will be a bit more available for answering questions.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Ozzymcfc
Hi, switching threads as just received my fourth vet med rejection so will be taking a gap year and reapplying in October. Not particularly looking forward to the process again but hoping it’s not as brutal now I know what to expect! Rejected post 3 interviews and finally just rejected from Bristol after being on hold since October. On wait list for HK but not holding out hope for that and have now decided to concentrate on getting the grades in a few weeks, getting a bit more ‘top up’ work experience for the new applications and then travelling and volunteering. Kind of looking forward to it now I have stopped being absolutely gutted!

I am sorry! That must be really hard. I'm a current nottingham april student so feel free to reach out if you have any questions or need any help!
Hello!

So since I haven't yet received my interview feedback (I have emailed to ask for it :wink:) there's not too much I can say about say the interview process, as I performed well enough for gateway, but apparently not for D100; ill let you know when I hear back though!

As for the general application process, I qualified for entry due to home income, which automatically gives you the minimum points. On top of this, I had also done an online "course" of sorts on Sutton trust online, which further proved my criteria.

As for the summer school; is that the Sutton trust one or the regular £3000 one? Because I had gotten a place when I applied last year to the costly one, and chose not to go for plenty of reasons- mostly including the insane cost (really, 2 weeks activities for a third of a years tuition?) and the fact they've explicitly stated they do not show preference to those who've done the 'summer school that's really a glorified holiday', but hey, if you can afford to, and accept that it won't affect your chances, go ahead :tongue: @RambleAmple did go however, so feel free to ask them about it.

I did also go to the Sutton Trust one - wouldn’t catch me paying for a summer school and especially not a 3k one 😂 If the paid one is anything similar to the free one, definitely don’t pay for it. Not worth it at all. If you can go for free then you can decide if it’s worth it vs doing more work exp etc, it won’t take away from anything but I didn’t really gain anything from going beside getting more hyped up for vet school which open days do in the same way.
(Original post by flamingolover)I am sorry! That must be really hard. I'm a current nottingham april student so feel free to reach out if you have any questions or need any help!
Thanks so much. I may take you up on that help when I come to reapply! Nottingham April cohort was my ideal!
Hello!

For work experience, the gateway actually has no required hours. Im sure it doesn't hurt though, as its endlessly helpful for your statement, interview and general approach. Im so much wiser about the whole thing than I was before all those hours of hard work! :smile:

Generally, vet schools prefer variety/quality over quantity, though in saying this, a long term commitment (say, volunteering after school once or twice a week for a few months) shows dedication, and is looked well upon. Best approach; get a bit of everything; abattoir, lab and exotic can really help stand out, but understandably they're difficult to arrange! I emailed 10+ abattoirs, but only got to one via a contact :redface: You really do have to just suck it up and be annoying for once though in putting yourself out there- I chanced my luck emailing the government labs and they actually said yes- so it gets results...eventually!

The UCAS process itself is...stressful! Id say don't worry too much over your statement- just avoid cliches like 'I've always wanted to be a vet since age 4' and 'I love animals and science' (both are a given for every applicant!) but really put your all into, and think carefully before answering your SAQ questions! If I recall correctly, I don't know if gateway applicants need to do one, I only remember filling out my "why I meet criteria" form, but this could be as they used my D100 essay for both applications :redface:

If you'd like to talk more personally, please let me know :fluffy:

woah thanks for the details!

lolz no im not doing the £3,000 summer school, ive applied for the sutton trust one (ive also received an email saying ive also been accepted onto their online course)
Did your school give any support during the application process? Im just a bit worried because im the only aspiring applicant for vet med in y12, and they haven't had a person from the college who's gone on to do vet med in the last 10 years or so :/

Just one last question, which government labs did you email ? I have been looking for some clinical experience but struggled to find some

thank you so much for replying, it really helps! Please do update me on the interview feedback when you her back :smile:
Original post by Euapp
Liverpool tend to make a large number deferred offers even if you don’t request it, and Bristol have no problem with it as long as you inform them before a date that is normally given each year on their web site.( Around the beginning of February if I remember correctly)As for the other schools you’ll have to check either on their web sites or e mail the admissions teams directly. I’d recommend doing this around June/ July when they’ve finished the bulk of work associated with the current application cycle but haven’t got A level results in yet so aren’t dealing with as much admin and will be a bit more available for answering questions.

Ooh thanks for the info! I'll be asking when I'm at open days too so that should give me a good idea
Original post by momo_basket
woah thanks for the details!

lolz no im not doing the £3,000 summer school, ive applied for the sutton trust one (ive also received an email saying ive also been accepted onto their online course)
Did your school give any support during the application process? Im just a bit worried because im the only aspiring applicant for vet med in y12, and they haven't had a person from the college who's gone on to do vet med in the last 10 years or so :/

Just one last question, which government labs did you email ? I have been looking for some clinical experience but struggled to find some

thank you so much for replying, it really helps! Please do update me on the interview feedback when you her back :smile:

Heya, honestly my school gave no support on my application process; I'd known I wanted to do veterinary since 2nd/3rd year, so I've known for years what subjects, grades ect I needed to apply so it's never been an issue. However, others were not so fortunate in their foresight, as barely anyone in my school gets veterinary for this reason.

My careers teacher even tried telling me I didn't meet criteria for the notts gateway, and I had to explain to her I actually did. The only other girl who applied decided this year she wanted to definitely do vetmed, and so far she's gotten no offers unfortunately :frown: likely due to the schools she picked being half Scottish schools with a bias towards applicants. No support from school for her! So I'm afraid you'll have to brave it on your own.

The government labs I emailed were the AFBI (Agri-Food Biosciences Institute) DEARA farm labs in Stormont, Belfast- relatively local to me as an NI applicant. They did say it was highly unusual to take non vet students on, but were welcoming nonetheless. If you check for AFBI/DEARA on Gov.UK sites, or just look up "farm labs" you should find official contacts. Try giving them a shout- I'd also recommend emailing any/every abattoir within an hours drive just to see, but again it's hard as they've a lot of safety/insurance issues so may decline.

Again, if you'd like to dm me for any extra guidance I can give you, my doors are open!

Either way, hope this helps :wink:
Hi all! I am Jennifer, and I will be graduating next year from my degree and planning to apply for 2024 entry. My current options are Nottingham 5 year, RVC 4 and 5 year and Bristol 4 year. Currently got two weeks of SA clinic work experience and working at a farm every week (around 20 hours worth now). Hopefully to get more planned for the summer like equine and more SA clinic. Good luck everyone!
Hi I joined this thread when my daughter got her 3rd vet med rejection this year but then she has just had an offer from her final vet med choice. So my advice is don’t give up hope- it’s a long, drawn out and brutal process but I’ll stick around to offer help and advice where I can
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Vetmum13
Hi I joined this thread when my daughter got her 3rd vet med rejection this year but then she has just had an offer from her final vet med choice. So my advice is don’t give up hope- it’s a long, drawn out and brutal process but I’ll stick around to offer help and advice where I can

Congratulations to you're daughter! Where is she going? I am so pleased she got an offer!
Original post by flamingolover
Congratulations to you're daughter! Where is she going? I am so pleased she got an offer!

Ah thankyou x She is going to UCLan 😃. Very happy and very relieved!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending