The Student Room Group

Official Veterinary Medicine Applicants thread 2024 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Original post by rrstar
hey guys, im getting a bit nervous. I've seen a lot of people get interview invites from Harper and Keele and I've got nothing ☹️ I'm worried that they are leaving the reject batch till last with me in it. has anyone else still not heard back from HK or is it just me

I've also not heard back! I'm being pretty calm about it though as I know with the other uni's the responses are quite staggered. Also not heard back from Edinburgh, but I am keeping the same mindset :smile:
Original post by ALEreapp

Im currently a first year here at Bristol so happy to help with any queries etc, I’m having the best time! X

Hey! Do you remember when you heard back from Bristol? Was it early December?
Original post by Abbilucas02

First time applying I got my offer in February and second time I got it early November. However from both years I seem to remember they did release a batch end of November time however last year it was all over the place in all honesty x
Anyone got offers from HK or Bristol yet? Had my HK interview on 15th Nov but heard nothing yet
Reply 984
Original post by Abbilucas02

We didn’t get to the Bristol open day and would be interested to hear how your finding the set up ?
To those who are currently studying vet med, I was just wondering what modules/topics you learn in first year and what those contain? I've been trying to find a specification or breakdown of the modules but none of the places I've looked at really seem to have one hahaha
Original post by sakuraswirls
i got a bristol offer! idk if it has anything to do with my current school tho, cuz it’s in bristol and many of my schoolmates have been getting bristol offers for their respective courses… anyways i’m sure bristol keeps giving out offers for a long time so no worries :smile: (p.s. does anyone know when nottingham stops giving out interview offers? haven’t got one and i’m getting kinda distracted worrying about it…)

Wow, well done! Did you apply for the undergraduate or for the accelerated course (4 years?) 🙂
Original post by gygfgjhgj
Anyone got offers from HK or Bristol yet? Had my HK interview on 15th Nov but heard nothing yet

i got a bristol offer on wednesday! idk if it has anything to do with my current school tho, cuz it’s in bristol and many of my schoolmates have been getting bristol offers for their respective courses… anyways i’m sure bristol keeps giving out offers for a long time so no worries (p.s. does anyone know when nottingham stops giving out interview offers? haven’t got one and i’m getting kinda distracted worrying about it…)
Original post by itsablandlife
To those who are currently studying vet med, I was just wondering what modules/topics you learn in first year and what those contain? I've been trying to find a specification or breakdown of the modules but none of the places I've looked at really seem to have one hahaha

It differs, each school has its own curriculum and it varies a lot by if they are spiral or modular. At Liverpool with a spiral curriculum we do 'normal structure and function' which is like the biology and physiology bits with the first 6 weeks being cell biochemistry and then fortnights of each body system (e.g. cardiovascular, respiratory + urinary, reproductive + endocrine, gastrointestinal, forelimb, hindlimb, head, central nervous system). Alongside this we do 'animal health and welfare' which is mostly the husbandry aspect of looking after animals, 'professional skills' like consultation models etc, 'infectious diseases' which is what it says on the tin, 'epidemiology and public health' so like controlling disease outbreaks etc, and we also have a certain number of new clinical skills per year which is kind of self-taught in groups with videos and we have weekly 2-hour slots to practice. We have practicals for every NSF fortnight and some of the other subjects occasionally. Alongside we have continuous assessment tasks to do which goes towards our final grade and usually link to a subject we are doing.
Reply 989

At UCLAN 3 weeks blocks
Cellular Structure and Function
Cardio Respiratory
Gastrointestinal
Then 1-2 weeks
Senescence and Death
Assessments
Urinary
Reproductive
Self Defence and Disease
IMR
Neurology and Behaviour
Assessments
Special senses
Musculoskeletal
Assessments
i got a bristol offer on wednesday! idk if it has anything to do with my current school tho, cuz it’s in bristol and many of my schoolmates have been getting bristol offers for their respective courses… anyways i’m sure bristol keeps giving out offers for a long time so no worries (p.s. does anyone know when nottingham stops giving out interview offers? haven’t got one and i’m getting kinda distracted worrying about it…)

Omg congratulations!!! That's amazing!!! Im still waiting on bristols , would love to go there 😭
Original post by gygfgjhgj

Last year, someone I know got interviewed mid December and they got their offer mid Jan. So I'm guessing it's an months time. No idea tho, I'm just using others timeline from last year and guessing it

Hi! Surrey has a breakdown of all the modules on their website (can't seem to link it directly here but it's on the course page of the university) but as a summary 1st year is all about learning the 'normal' for different body systems so there are 5 different modules which consist of groups of related systems (eg alimentary & integument, urinary & repro, cardiovascular & musculoskeletal) as well as a module for core animal handling and husbandry, a module of biochemistry and another module about being a professional spread over 2 semesters. Surrey has a modular system so you learn 4 modules in the first semester, do exams for those in January and then move onto 4 completely new modules in the second semester with exams for those in June. Hope that helps!
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 993
Original post by alb8544
Got mine yesterday as well!

Still waiting - is anyone else? Panicking as the thread seems to suggest Nottingham send their interview offers all at once ..
Original post by Rachou
Still waiting - is anyone else? Panicking as the thread seems to suggest Nottingham send their interview offers all at once ..

been stressing about this all weekend 🥹 they’re the only uni that hasn’t replied to me at all…

Bristol also does ‘the healthy animal’ and that is for us in 6 week blocks. We have the foundation block which is like a massive recap block and covers loads of cell bio, basic anatomy, basic husbandry, and lots of intros to things such as parasitology, behaviour and disease. We then have cardio respiratory until Xmas, endo/repro/urinary and then finish first year with GI… the body systems for us go into second year with neuro and musculoskeletal. Throughout first year you have the ongoing themes of professionalism, public health, clinical skills, histology and they will include clinical relevance A LOT - this is emphasised heavily in our CBL. We do case based learning 3x a week (6hrs of our timetable so it’s a chunk).
We have lots of ‘must pass’ bits and pieces like reflection journals, abstracts, group work etc but we only have 2 summative exams and they will be in summer. We have an end of block quiz but that’s to do in your own time and they are revision materials for us they are not assessed.
Bristol now follow a sprial curriculum but have ongoing themes through all modules.
Original post by Jo007
We didn’t get to the Bristol open day and would be interested to hear how your finding the set up ?

I assume this may have been for me? I’ll be really honest I think Bristol do a shoddy job of selling themselves at open days and offer holder days lol
Langford isn’t overly flashy but it is a really good learning environment and students are of the most priority, they’ve already made multiple changes as a result of feedback from a few weeks ago. It’s such a supportive environment with this overwhelming feeling they just want the best for you!
Bristol campus again is great, everything is so central and there’s so many places to chill between lectures. School of anatomy is great for revision as they just have so many skeletons and specimens and that’s accessible 24/7. Langford clinical skills labs are also open 24/7 so you can practise whenever- generally more bus dependent but very easy to get to.
Most of our lectures are in ‘other’ science buildings but that isn’t an issue tbh, they all have recording facilities and the dissection set up is fab (probably my fav sessions of the week). We have a dissection every single Friday and honestly they make lectures that sound like a different language make sense. The dissections also incorporate a lot of clinical skills eg last week we have 2 severed horse heads (as graphic as it sounds) to learn about respiratory anatomy and learned to place respiratory tubes which really grounds you and makes you remember exactly why you are putting yourself through those lectures 😂😂
Wow, well done! Did you apply for the undergraduate or for the accelerated course (4 years?) 🙂

thank you haha i applied for undergrad ^^
thank you haha i applied for undergrad ^^

Congratulations, do u already have your grades or are you still studying
Reply 999

Congratulations!!! Is this for D100? Did you hear via email? 🤗

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending