The Student Room Group

Physics help : Magnetic Field practice q's

When a β particle moves at right angles through a uniform magnetic field it
experiences a force F. An α particle moves at right angles through a magnetic field of
twice the magnetic flux density with velocity one tenth the velocity of the β particle. What
is the magnitude of the force on the α particle?

I really need help on this question, please someone.
I tried setting an equation but I'm not sure where to go from here.
Original post by dwrfwrw
experiences a force F. An α particle moves at right angles through a magnetic field of
twice the magnetic flux density with velocity one tenth the velocity of the β particle. What

So, start with force on beta particle. What do you have for that?
Reply 2
Original post by BlueChicken
So, start with force on beta particle. What do you have for that?

Sorry I tried to use f equal bqv but I don't know them all. Not sure how to simplify this
Reply 3
Wait do you need to take into account of beta and alpha properties just thought they were variables
Original post by dwrfwrw
Sorry I tried to use f equal bqv but I don't know them all. Not sure how to simplify this

Yes, that's the equation to use in both cases. You just need to adjust B, q and v according to info in question, to get F for alpha particle in terms of F originally determined for beta particle.
Reply 5
Original post by dwrfwrw

Okay I fuly understood this now thanks I just thought beta and alpha were just variables didn't read the question properly thanks so much
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by BlueChicken
Yes, that's the equation to use in both cases. You just need to adjust B, q and v according to info in question, to get F for alpha particle in terms of F originally determined for beta particle.

Quick question though in an uniform field will the field strength be constant so therefore will the force acting on the particles be constant
Original post by dwrfwrw
Quick question though in an uniform field will the field strength be constant so therefore will the force acting on the particles be constant

In a uniform field, B will be constant (magnitude and direction), but that doesn't mean that the force will be (see equation - force will only be constant if product qv is also constant).

Quick Reply

Latest