The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why don't strict asian parents want their kid to marry a white person

I'm Indian and I've been on dates with all races
Why do a lot of Indian/Asian parents mind/seem against their kind marrying a white person?

Scroll to see replies

I'm asian and I've been on dates with white men and other races. I think if you grow up as a minority in a country it seems close minded if you aren't willing to go on a date with someone in the country you live in or other races.
I know a few asian people who want to stick to their own solely and it seems backward to me.
I also have been on dates with other asians. I know asians who have dated white people only. Also seems odd to me/like they aren't happy with their own race as even now interracial dating isn't that common so how come they didn't go on a date with someone the same race as themselves
Original post by stickylikehoney
I'm asian and I've been on dates with white men and other races. I think if you grow up as a minority in a country it seems close minded if you aren't willing to go on a date with someone in the country you live in or other races.
I know a few asian people who want to stick to their own solely and it seems backward to me.
I also have been on dates with other asians. I know asians who have dated white people only. Also seems odd to me/like they aren't happy with their own race as even now interracial dating isn't that common so how come they didn't go on a date with someone the same race as themselves

I don't agree with parents telling their kids who they should date but people are allowed to have their own preferences when it comes to dating.
I'm Indian and my mum gave me the "you'll-be-dead-and-disowned" glare just for suggesting Pakistani guys are hot... Idk what she'd do if I date a white person.
Original post by summerbirdreads
I'm Indian and my mum gave me the "you'll-be-dead-and-disowned" glare just for suggesting Pakistani guys are hot... Idk what she'd do if I date a white person.

if you fell in love with a white man and he loved you to pieces and you loved him, why would she mind?
if you fell in love with a white man and he loved you to pieces and you loved him, why would she mind?

All I can say is: RIP me if that happens
Original post by summerbirdreads
All I can say is: RIP me if that happens

This isn't answering the thread, why would she care?
I'm Asian and I've been on dates with white and asian men. Realistically, I think who I end up with in the end might be another asian cos even now interracial marriage isn't that common. Also there can be culture clash. If you fall in love with someone of your own culture that might be easier in the long-run. But if I fell in love with a white man and it worked I don't understand why people would be against it/what is the problem?
This isn't answering the thread, why would she care?
I'm Asian and I've been on dates with white and asian men. Realistically, I think who I end up with in the end might be another asian cos even now interracial marriage isn't that common. Also there can be culture clash. If you fall in love with someone of your own culture that might be easier in the long-run. But if I fell in love with a white man and it worked I don't understand why people would be against it/what is the problem?

I don't understand that either... it's ******** like most of our culture ngl
Reply 8
In my culture the only reason I can think of is because of language.
The girl or boy would only be able to communicate with their partner in English, this means if they have future children, then they won’t learn their mother tongue or father tongue. There are some who do but that’s because the parents actually cared and went to the doctors to see how to raise their kids to be multilingual.
That’s the only reason I won’t marry out of my ethnicity. I love my language and it’s so sweet too so I can’t just imagine speaking English with my kids and husband.
I have a family member who married a Eritrean woman, she’s very sweet but even though they both speak two beautiful languages, their kids just speak in English.
Language is culture, if you don’t know it then you won’t fit in with the family.
There are many reasons including language barrier and cultural traditions
Original post by Honey57
The girl or boy would only be able to communicate with their partner in English, this means if they have future children, then they won’t learn their mother tongue or father tongue. There are some who do but that’s because the parents actually cared and went to the doctors to see how to raise their kids to be multilingual.
That’s the only reason I won’t marry out of my ethnicity. I love my language and it’s so sweet too so I can’t just imagine speaking English with my kids and husband.
I have a family member who married a Eritrean woman, she’s very sweet but even though they both speak two beautiful languages, their kids just speak in English.
Language is culture, if you don’t know it then you won’t fit in with the family.

I might lean towards another hindu - because even now interracial dating isn't that common and sometimes I think, if I can already marry a great guy of my own culture then why not. I know some asians who date white only and it seems a bit suspect to me - the stereotypical "coconut" type... But if I connected with someone of a different culture and it worked, I don't think it matters.
Original post by Honey57

Agreed.
I might lean towards another hindu - because even now interracial dating isn't that common and sometimes I think, if I can already marry a great guy of my own culture then why not. I know some asians who date white only and it seems a bit suspect to me - the stereotypical "coconut" type... But if I connected with someone of a different culture and it worked, I don't think it matters.

Yehhhh same, tbh If I met a guy that we instantly got along with each other and truly loved each other, I’d teach him my language like bits and pieces and I’d still plan for my kids to learn the language too. But I know two other languages besides English so that’s going to be hard and my husband might know another or two beside English too. That’s where it gets tricky.
Otherwise I don’t mind but like you said, if there is a guy in my own ethnicity that speaks the same language as me and is great then I’m going to defo pick them.
Original post by Honey57

That's bull****. My spouse of 9 years is Russian and speaks Russian around family. I only know a little. It hasn't got in the way of our relationship at all. We plan on raising our kids to speak Russian and English because language is such a gift but it definitely doesn't get in the way of relationships.
Original post by Sabertooth
That's bull****. My spouse of 9 years is Russian and speaks Russian around family. I only know a little. It hasn't got in the way of our relationship at all. We plan on raising our kids to speak Russian and English because language is such a gift but it definitely doesn't get in the way of relationships.

That’s subjective. For me it will get in the way of relationships and other will Asians agree. But there are also people like you who disagree.

Also not knowing the language may not get in the way of relationships but it’s the culture that’s most important, if you don’t know the language it’s very hard to immerse yourself in the culture and
Asians don’t want to lose the culture. It’s great that you’re planning to raise your kids to be multilingual, I applaud you but there are unfortunately many that don’t know how or don’t care so their kids don’t learn anything beyond English.
Some asian parents are staunch traditionalists that expect the next generation to comply with centuries of family customs, ancient religious practices/scriptural content and their favourite cultural traditions.
Many genuinely believe that they have found the ideal template for life and all alternatives or other lifestyles are absolutely horrifying to them.

This often involves placing huge emphasis upon: caste, an arranged marriage, religious endogamy, prohibiting/strong disapproval of intimate pre-marital sexual activity and only considering a potential spouse whose background & asset level is deemed suitable by parents/grandparents/most extended family members.
Plenty of non-asian traditionalists and conservatives take a similar stance as regards their own family traditions, cultural customs and religious teachings.
Original post by Honey57
Yehhhh same, tbh If I met a guy that we instantly got along with each other and truly loved each other, I’d teach him my language like bits and pieces and I’d still plan for my kids to learn the language too. But I know two other languages besides English so that’s going to be hard and my husband might know another or two beside English too. That’s where it gets tricky.
Otherwise I don’t mind but like you said, if there is a guy in my own ethnicity that speaks the same language as me and is great then I’m going to defo pick them.

Well even now interracial marriage isn't that common, so I suppose most people share your view in the end. But there's nothing wrong with two people of different cultures falling in love and dating is there!
Original post by Sabertooth

I don't think she meant that you'd have bad relationship if you didn't speak the same language rather that you'd have a better and closer bond. It's also nice for children to adopt that language. It may also strengthen the relationship between the two families with better communication which is important.
On the flip side I know asian people who date white people only. Like this asian guy I know married a white girl and only dated white girls before he married her. He was from one of those stereotypical "coconut" families, he thought he was too good for brown girls/wanted to marry out of his race into a white family. I don't think this about other brown guy/white girl couples I know, but I think he always just wanted a white woman and would never have married another brown girl
Original post by londonmyst
Some asian parents are staunch traditionalists that expect the next generation to comply with centuries of family customs, ancient religious practices/scriptural content and their favourite cultural traditions.
Many genuinely believe that they have found the ideal template for life and all alternatives or other lifestyles are absolutely horrifying to them.

This often involves placing huge emphasis upon: caste, an arranged marriage, religious endogamy, prohibiting/strong disapproval of intimate pre-marital sexual activity and only considering a potential spouse whose background & asset level is deemed suitable by parents/grandparents/most extended family members.
Plenty of non-asian traditionalists and conservatives take a similar stance as regards their own family traditions, cultural customs and religious teachings.

There's nothing wrong with that. Some people have their own cultures which need to be valued and respected. It's no greater or lesser than any other culture.
It's also sometimes that the child themselves will choose according to these values. It also may be part of their religion and important for them to follow. For example, its crucial that parents approve of their child's choice within Islamic traditions.

Latest

Trending

Trending