The Student Room Group

vectors

Confused as to why the area of the shape is just area of APQ + area of PCQScreenshot 2022-06-15 at 00.41.13.pngScreenshot 2022-06-15 at 00.42.03.jpg
(edited 1 year ago)
APQC is a quadrilateral and theyve just listed how its area is the sum of the two triangles, where the quadrilateral is split down a diagonal.
Presuming your question is a typo as the repeated side is not a diagonal, so area relationship is not correct.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by mqb2766
APQC is a quadrilateral and theyve just listed how its area is the sum of the two triangles, where the quadrilateral is split down a diagonal.
Presuming your question is a typo as the repeated side is not a diagonal, so area relationship is not correct.

So is the question wrong or am I wrong?
Original post by Student 999
So is the question wrong or am I wrong?

Just draw a sketch of a quadrilateral. You can obviously split it down either diagonal and the sum of the two triangles equals the original quadrilateral (so worked solution is correct). The repeated side is the diagonal. Your
area of APQ + area of PCQ
creates two triangles where PQ is the repeated side. PQ is a side of the quadrilateral, not a diagonal, so in general the sum of the two areas won't equal the quadrilateral area.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by mqb2766
Just draw a sketch of a quadrilateral. You can obviously split it down either diagonal and the sum of the two triangles equals the original quadrilateral (so worked solution is correct). The repeated side is the diagonal. Your
area of APQ + area of PCQ
creates two triangles where PQ is the repeated side. PQ is a side of the quadrilateral, not a diagonal, so in general the sum of the two areas won't equal the quadrilateral area.

My apologies, I messed it the notation, thanks
Original post by Student 999
My apologies, I messed it the notation, thanks

No problem. Its usually worth sketching problems and making sure (in this case) the vertices are labelled in a clockwise/anticlockwise fashion.

Quick Reply

Latest