The Student Room Group

Vectors

How do you find the angle of the position vector (5,2,3) makes with the x y and z axis
Reply 1
Use a.b = |a||b| cos t, where t is the angle between a and b.
Original post by realed
How do you find the angle of the position vector (5,2,3) makes with the x y and z axis

Do you have another vector or just this one? if there is another one calculate with the formula for the angle between two vectors (DFranklin showed you).
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Kallisto
Do you have another vector or just this one? if there is another one calculate with the formula for the angle between two vectors (DFranklin showed you).

Spoiler

Reply 4

I have just one
Reply 5
Original post by DFranklin
Use a.b = |a||b| cos t, where t is the angle between a and b.

Also what is a and what is b
Reply 6

When I just on YouTube To find a method it was cos-1(5/square root of 38) but I,m very unsure where that came from
Reply 7
Original post by realed

These are 2 arbitrary vectors whose included angle you're trying to find - what DFranklin gave you was essentially the definition of the dot product for 2 vectors. So in your case, 'a' could be the vector you've quoted and 'b' would be a unit vector along one of the coordinate axes.
Original post by realed

Davros already gave you the answer. Did you finally solve the question or are another things not clear?

Quick Reply

Latest