The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Do you class yourself as British or by your actual country (English, Scottish etc?)

Scroll to see replies

I'm English.
Reply 81
I'd consider myself an Anglo-Viking Norman. Heh.
Reply 82
im asian, and was born here in the UK and all.. but i dont think ive ever actually said
'Im british'

i normally say, im from england.. and thats it.

but on forms i HAVE to say im british, eurgh.

4 years and God willing ill be outta this place!
I'm Earthish. Middle-Earthish. Less of this evil discrimination between humans. More of the Orc slaying.

Seriously, English. It's not about me thinking England is great but about hating Welsh, Scottish and Irish people and not wanting to be associated with them whatsoever :wink:.
Reply 84
I guess I class myself as British, because I love Britain as a whole. I live in England and have no problem with that; I have family in Scotland, going to uni up there and would quite like to live there in the future; I'm part Welsh and well.. yeah, nice country n'all that; Northern Ireland.. ehh, I'll get round to that at some point.
Reply 85
Scottish
Reply 86
FTC199
??? just ever so slightly confused over that 1

It is a derogatory term often used by us gods from across the border in reference to the fact that you are Scottish.

Scot = Sweaty Jock, get it?
British ftw :smile:
PhilMc
Catholics say: Irish
Protestants: British

I tend to call myself Northern Irish like yourself, but I object to having the Union Jack as the flag beside my name so I went for the Tri-colour.

I don't consider myself Catholic or Protestant normally but I know that I am more a Protestant lol :s-smilie: I just don't like to classify myself as either because hardly anyone knows what a Catholic or Protestant even means when they say it these days if you get me :s-smilie:

Anyway...

I have a British passport does that make me British?

I'm Northern Irish I don't really want to be called British or Irish :s-smilie:
I always class myself as English.
Scotland all the way!

On one hand I dont want Scotland independance and I do like to be part of the whole.

But on the other hand I like a little bit of separation from the whole UK and GB
Reply 91
100% English.

don't like to tick Asian British on forms
Reply 92
chappy
It is a derogatory term often used by us gods from across the border in reference to the fact that you are Scottish.

Scot = Sweaty Jock, get it?

ahh but there i would say i am an "english infidel" as i do not accept that you are gods but instead mere fakes to our scottish supremacy (our men have the balls to wear skirts) :p:
Reply 93
English
It depends. I live in Scotland but was born in England, I'm living elsewhere in the EU and trying to explain that to Europeans is nigh on impossible. I'd generally say that I am British, as I'm not Scottish but I don't feel totally English either as I consider my home to be in Scotland.
Weirdly had this conversation with someone on Xbox Live while playing the new Call of Duty beta. She was from Northern Ireland and calls herself British, I said I'd call myself English if someone asks but if I was referred to as British it's all the same to me.
Reply 96
British. Never have and never will call myself English as England isn't an internationally recognised country, and fails on 5/7 or 6/7 requirements to be a country, according to about.com
Reply 97
jenny_jingles
I tend to associate British with English. Even if you look at the "national" news etc its pretty much English news. e.g. its all GCSEs and no Standard Grades they talk about and other kind of stuff. It's not that I have anything against the English but I would definitely always refer to myself as Scottish and am proud of coming from Scotland.

That's because most British people come from England...

Geog_Magz
The day people say Haggis is one of Britains national dishes is when Ill call myself a brit. Until then Im more than happy being Scottish where I can celebrate my culture and not the culture of areas I have never lived in.

But that's ridiculous. Scottish culture, for example, centres around a lot of Gaelic and Highland stuff that, frankly, has no relevance to me or most of the Scottish people that I mix with. Equally, Scottishness includes other influences from, say, the various different cultures of the Isles. Scotland is as diverse as Britain is.
Reply 98
meenu89
100% English.

don't like to tick Asian British on forms

I don't agree with that. You're English if you're descended from the Angles, if you are, as Bede and Alfred the Great said, 'Angelcyn' (Angle Kin).
Reply 99
FTC199
ahh but there i would say i am an "english infidel" as i do not accept that you are gods but instead mere fakes to our scottish supremacy (our men have the balls to wear skirts) :p:

Over here your infidelity would be punished through the form of merciless subjugation, we would, as being's of a higher standard, consistently oppress your so called culture and when we have finished berating and humiliating the sense of self importance that eminates from your land, we would force you to parade around Peckham, attrired by a ginger wig and your custom skirt while singing 'Scotland the Brave'. :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending