The Student Room Group

Differential equations help isaac physics

https://isaacphysics.org/questions/diff_eq_SHM2?board=ec8bd2da-3986-4299-acd4-e618167c47e6&stage=a_level
Could you please help me figure out where I went wrong?
I'm really struggling with this topic
Thank you!
This is what I got :smile:
Original post by MayaVellichor
This is what I got :smile:

Not really going to work.. For shm, you should expect sinusoidal displacement, veloity, acceleration expressions. Think about seperation of variables and integrating wrt q
1/sqrt(a^2 - q^2)
which has a pythagoras/sinusoidal feel
I thought I could just do this cause I can treat everything except q and t as constants
16825357442034757577827923963566.jpg
I thought I could just do this cause I can treat everything except q and t as constants
16825357442034757577827923963566.jpg

Beware when doing u-sub. You need ALL the terms in q to be transformed into u - nothing left behind! (That's why it is advised to do substitution all in one go).

That said, is u-sub useful here? Probably not. as mqb hinted, the integral on the left has a "sinusoidal feel" to it (it's a case of where you've done enough integral, you'll notice it). Have you learned integration by trig sub?
Original post by tonyiptony
Beware when doing u-sub. You need ALL the terms in q to be transformed into u - nothing left behind! (That's why it is advised to do substitution all in one go).

That said, is u-sub useful here? Probably not. as mqb hinted, the integral on the left has a "sinusoidal feel" to it (it's a case of where you've done enough integral, you'll notice it). Have you learned integration by trig sub?

no we have only done it by substitution- do I need it for this question?

Dont know what isaac "allows" you to use, but its a given result in the edexcel formula sheet (further)
https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Mathematics/2017/specification-and-sample-assesment/Pearson_Edexcel_A_Level_GCE_in_Mathematics_Formulae_Book.pdf
(edited 1 year ago)

Well, it is an integration you do by substitution, it's just a different substitution that the one you were trying.

As mqb says, it should also be in your formula booklet.

Also, I'd say this particular result is one where it doesn't matter too much if you don't derive it, as long as you can look at the answer and go "Oh yeah, I can see that works". If you're happy with that, here's a fairly large hint:

Spoiler

(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest