The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

KCl or University of Manchester

I have an offer from King's College London and University of Manchester for my Masters in Organisational Psychology.
KCL's Institute of Psychology, Psychiatry and Neuroscience will be providing the course which means the focus is more on general mental health, whereas in UoM...the course is under Alliance Manchester Business School...which means there are more organisational/business concepts that would help me pursue a career in HR. (the course at UoM is more intriguing )

seems like employability rates are higher for UoM than KCL but again...would being in London help in any way?

Apart from that I wanted to know which city is better for networking and job opportunities? London or Manchester?
London is more expensive which is a factor i want to consider but I am also conflicted about whether the reputation of the uni matters or not?
As an International Student, I want to be at a university/city that wouldn't drain me out.

Kcl is ranked higher than UoM in Psychology but UoM's business school is much better the King's Business School.

Is KCL the obvious choice or should I go ahead with UoM?
Hi there :smile:

I certainly wouldn't say KCL was the obvious choice if you think you prefer the course at Manchester and it works better for you financially. They are both key things to consider when making your choice. I wouldn't say there was a significant difference in reputation between the two institutions for it to influence your choice you'd be much better served looking at who's in the faculty and whether they work and teach on areas of the subject that you're interested in.

London is obviously significantly bigger than Manchester and so has a much larger economy, but Manchester is still the third city in England and is hardly small or lacking in networking or job opportunities. Depending on where you are in life you wouldn't necessarily have to stay in Manchester or London afterwards anyway.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by Saracen's Fez
Hi there :smile:

I certainly wouldn't say KCL was the obvious choice if you think you prefer the course at Manchester and it works better for you financially. They are both key things to consider when making your choice. I wouldn't say there was a significant difference in reputation between the two institutions for it to influence your choice you'd be much better served looking at who's in the faculty and whether they work and teach on areas of the subject that you're interested in.

London is obviously significantly bigger than Manchester and so has a much larger economy, but Manchester is still the third city in England and is hardly small or lacking in networking or job opportunities. Depending on where you are in life you wouldn't necessarily have to stay in Manchester or London afterwards anyway.

Hello, thank you for responding!
Just wanted to ask...when applying for jobs..do recruiters look at the reputation of your uni? Would graduating from KCL give me any kind of priority since it has better reputation?
Original post by dedeepya06
Hello, thank you for responding!
Just wanted to ask...when applying for jobs..do recruiters look at the reputation of your uni? Would graduating from KCL give me any kind of priority since it has better reputation?

Generally, no albeit there are a small number of industries/companies who do. Do you know what you were looking to go into after this course?

(Also I'm not sure I'd say that KCL necessarily has a better reputation. Manchester is also a very reputable university!)
Reply 4
Generally, no albeit there are a small number of industries/companies who do. Do you know what you were looking to go into after this course?

(Also I'm not sure I'd say that KCL necessarily has a better reputation. Manchester is also a very reputable university!)

Yeah. I would like to apply for HR roles. Talent Acquisition, Consulting roles also are something I would be interested in.
(Oh ookay! Gotcha)
Yeah. I would like to apply for HR roles. Talent Acquisition, Consulting roles also are something I would be interested in.
(Oh ookay! Gotcha)

It's not a sector that is known for being picky about reputation of the uni, to my knowledge.

And yes, unless there's something very specific to the individual courses you're looking at, any difference between the reputation of KCL and Manchester is so marginal as to be meaningless.
Hi! I am facing the same problem 🤣Having a hard time choosing between University of Manchester and KCL (same program). May I know if you’ve made a decision? I’m also an international student from Taiwan. Thanks!
Reply 7
Original post by fififxckincute
Hi! I am facing the same problem 🤣Having a hard time choosing between University of Manchester and KCL (same program). May I know if you’ve made a decision? I’m also an international student from Taiwan. Thanks!

Oh hey!! Congratulations on your offer.
Yeah, I have decided to go ahead with Uni of Manchester after a lot of research. I have reached out to current students from both the universities and the ones at KCL are not that satisfied with their curriculum in particular. The course at UoM is much more interesting and it actually incorporates core Organisational Behaviour topics whereas according to the feedback that i got from KCL students, the course at KCL focuses very little on the organisational aspects and more on the generic mental health concepts.
Reply 8
It's not a sector that is known for being picky about reputation of the uni, to my knowledge.

And yes, unless there's something very specific to the individual courses you're looking at, any difference between the reputation of KCL and Manchester is so marginal as to be meaningless.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. This was v helpful.
Oh hey!! Congratulations on your offer.
Yeah, I have decided to go ahead with Uni of Manchester after a lot of research. I have reached out to current students from both the universities and the ones at KCL are not that satisfied with their curriculum in particular. The course at UoM is much more interesting and it actually incorporates core Organisational Behaviour topics whereas according to the feedback that i got from KCL students, the course at KCL focuses very little on the organisational aspects and more on the generic mental health concepts.

Hi!! Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts🥰
I chose UoM as well so looking forward to seeing you in fall!!

Wish you the best~~

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending