The Student Room Group

physics question on moments, help needed

I just dont understand why the forces would stay the same here. if the ruler is now tilted then surely one force increases whiles the other decreases right? but the mark scheme says the forces remain the same
Capture9.JPG
image_2023-05-15_124917414.png
mark scheme:
image_2023-05-15_125041650.png
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
Assuming that Supports A and B are both Newton Meters, the only thing that they will be measuring is the vertical component of each force at the position they are at. As the angle of tilt is the same for A, B and the Weight the vertical component of all the forces don't change so I think they would be the same as before.
Original post by FM1/FP1
I just dont understand why the forces would stay the same here. if the ruler is now tilted then surely one force increases whiles the other decreases right? but the mark scheme says the forces remain the same
Capture9.JPG
image_2023-05-15_124917414.png
mark scheme:
image_2023-05-15_125041650.png

Have you tried to work out the maths? It is not a difficult exercise to do. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Eimmanuel
Have you tried to work out the maths? It is not a difficult exercise to do. :smile:

ahhh i see, thanks guys, you just divide by cos theta and end up with original equations/values
Original post by FM1/FP1
ahhh i see, thanks guys, you just divide by cos theta and end up with original equations/values

Indeed.

Quick Reply

Latest