The Student Room Group

Chances of investement banking after two gap years

Hello, I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this question.

I scored a perfect 45/45 in the IB, could attend St Andrews for economics, but the caveat is that they have offered a place for 24/25 entry, and I have already taken a gap year (was actually a medical school student but left, essentially). So it would be 2 gap years and nothing done finance wise in the first year.

Would it still be possible to score summer internship interviews / spring weeks / enentual job offers or will investement banks (BB's) instantly not consider me due to the recruiter seeing two gap years on the CV and just rejecting. Of course, I will line things up for the second coming gap year if I decide to go -- other offers are Edinburgh and Durham for 2023 entry.

Also, I don't expect it will, but will my IB score carry any weight in the recruitment process?

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by Joepowell
Hello, I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this question.

I scored a perfect 45/45 in the IB, could attend St Andrews for economics, but the caveat is that they have offered a place for 24/25 entry, and I have already taken a gap year (was actually a medical school student but left, essentially). So it would be 2 gap years and nothing done finance wise in the first year.

Would it still be possible to score summer internship interviews / spring weeks / enentual job offers or will investement banks (BB's) instantly not consider me due to the recruiter seeing two gap years on the CV and just rejecting. Of course, I will line things up for the second coming gap year if I decide to go -- other offers are Edinburgh and Durham for 2023 entry.

Also, I don't expect it will, but will my IB score carry any weight in the recruitment process?

Thanks!

Just to check - are you starting a undergrad degree (4 years?) at St Andres for 24/25?

What have/ will you do in your gap years?

I think you should assume that some/ most recruitment processes will check your IB scores and that this will be in your favour.
Reply 2
It’s worth trying. St Andrew’s is NOT a target and neither Durham or Edinburgh are, compare it to the likes of UCL or LSE, or Oxbridge not really..
St Andrew's isn't bad tho. I'd say the gap year would be fine as long as you show you weren't sitting at home; doing nothing. For example, I'm on my gap year doing a traineeship at a top bank and starting uni in September. Also, you can always get into finance after doing medicine if you don't wanna drop out.
Reply 4
Original post by CWharfian
It’s worth trying. St Andrew’s is NOT a target and neither Durham or Edinburgh are, compare it to the likes of UCL or LSE, or Oxbridge not really..

Durham is a target

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending