The Student Room Group

Gap year banking internships.

I am currently in year 13 and expecting to take a gap year next year as I haven't recieved the offers that I want. I don't mind taking a gap year but I would like to do some sort of internship or placement during that year. I am expecting 4 A* at a level and all 9s at gcse. I have looked online but can't find any. I am particularly interested in investment banking so there are barely any online so would it be better for me to message people on linked in or something?
the formal IB spring week and summer internship track is pretty closely tied to the university system tbh. You do spring weeks in the easter of first year (if its a 3 year course) and basically have to apply at the start of the academic year. then you do summer internships in the summer before your final year.

I don't think you can apply for either of those on a gap year, but you could email around and try to get some shadowing. What degree did u apply for?
Reply 2
Original post by pagetsuckstoes
the formal IB spring week and summer internship track is pretty closely tied to the university system tbh. You do spring weeks in the easter of first year (if its a 3 year course) and basically have to apply at the start of the academic year. then you do summer internships in the summer before your final year.

I don't think you can apply for either of those on a gap year, but you could email around and try to get some shadowing. What degree did u apply for?

Thanks for the reply. Shadowing would be great if possible. I applied for a BSc in economics, but because I'm taking a gap year I might research further whether I want to move into finance etc. Do you know ways I can get any sort of IB shadowing or anyways of contacting the right people?
Reply 3
Not sure about year-long placements or summer internships/spring insights as these are reserved for current uni students but there are definitely summer programs available for year 13s who are holding uni offers after finishing exams, offered by both bulge bracket and boutique investment banks. Maybe look at applying to some of those and try to get more info about getting gap year experience while on a program. Eligibility can vary for these as many are intended as diversity programs and you may need to meet certain socio-economic background criteria. There's also independent training providers like City Investment Training who may be able to help - perhaps take a look at them on linkedin. Hope some of this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest