The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Will i get into LSE.

I have achieved 4A*s 5As and 1B in my GCSEs. I went on to achieve 3As in my As but got treated unfairly with my predicted grades of 3As. I did work as finance manager of our class group in a school wide project which I also mentioned in my PS. Can I get into LSE. If you want to read my PS just tell me and I will post it as well. The LSE standard requirements are 3As as well for accounting and finance. Thank you
(edited 2 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Do NOT post your PS under any circumstances. If you post it then it will be cached by google and you'll need to rewrite the entire thing...

In any event, assuming you have A-level Maths as one of those, then you in principle meet the stated requirements and probably have as good a chance as anyone. Which to be fair, is still somewhat slim - it's a very, very competitive course (17 applicants per place last year) so it's always going to be a bit of a gamble.

But you meet the standard requirements so should be considered, and it's only 1 out of 5 of your choices :smile:
(edited 2 months ago)
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Do NOT post your PS under any circumstances. If you post it then it will be cached by google and you'll need to rewrite the entire thing...

In any event, assuming you have A-level Maths as one of those, then you in principle meet the stated requirements and probably have as good a chance as anyone. Which to be fair, is still somewhat slim - it's a very, very competitive course (17 applicants per place last year) so it's always going to be a bit of a gamble.

But you meet the standard requirements so should be considered, and it's only 1 out of 5 of your choices :smile:

ok now If God forbid I get rejected from LSE, I already have an offer from Manchester. So should I take a break year and come back stronger or, go for Manchester for the same programme.
Original post by afraz ahmed
ok now If God forbid I get rejected from LSE, I already have an offer from Manchester. So should I take a break year and come back stronger or, go for Manchester for the same programme.

That's really up to you and depends on your goals and interests!

If your aim is to go into accountancy at a big 4 firm for example, where you go to uni isn't really a factor so if you're happy otherwise with the course at Manchester and prospect of living in Manchester, then I can't see much reason to turn them down to reapply in a gap year (with no guarantee for the new application!).

If your aim is to go into investment banking or management consulting though then LSE will make a difference as it's a target uni, although it's equally not impossible to achieve from Manchester which is reasonably well placed relative to other non-target/semi-target unis, I gather.

You have plenty of time to think about it as you don't need to make any decisions until after you receive your last decision from UCAS and then you have usually at least a month and a half or longer before you need to choose your firm and insurance choices. Also you can still set whichever unis as your firm and insurance choices and then on results day if you change your mind, you can let them know you aren't going to enroll in the end and take a gap year.

Basically - you don't need to make any fixed decisions for quite a while so just see how things turn out in terms of offers and then on results day :smile:
Reply 4
That's really up to you and depends on your goals and interests!

If your aim is to go into accountancy at a big 4 firm for example, where you go to uni isn't really a factor so if you're happy otherwise with the course at Manchester and prospect of living in Manchester, then I can't see much reason to turn them down to reapply in a gap year (with no guarantee for the new application!).

If your aim is to go into investment banking or management consulting though then LSE will make a difference as it's a target uni, although it's equally not impossible to achieve from Manchester which is reasonably well placed relative to other non-target/semi-target unis, I gather.

You have plenty of time to think about it as you don't need to make any decisions until after you receive your last decision from UCAS and then you have usually at least a month and a half or longer before you need to choose your firm and insurance choices. Also you can still set whichever unis as your firm and insurance choices and then on results day if you change your mind, you can let them know you aren't going to enroll in the end and take a gap year.

Basically - you don't need to make any fixed decisions for quite a while so just see how things turn out in terms of offers and then on results day :smile:

One last thing. I might look up for unis on clearing. Can you recommend unis for investment banking. And is Manchester not a good choice to go to for investment banking?
One last thing. I might look up for unis on clearing. Can you recommend unis for investment banking. And is Manchester not a good choice to go to for investment banking?

I doubt there will be better options than Manchester for investment banking in clearing, at least in that subject area. It's a decent enough option for a non-target (I think some might consider it semi-target?).

Target unis for investment banking are conventionally held to be Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, UCL, and Warwick. Semi-target lists vary and I think really depend on the bank in question to some extent.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 6
I doubt there will be better options than Manchester for investment banking in clearing, at least in that subject area. It's a decent enough option for a non-target (I think some might consider it semi-target?).

Target unis for investment banking are conventionally held to be Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, UCL, and Warwick. Semi-target lists vary and I think really depend on the bank in question to some extent.

Ok thank you so much
Ok thank you so much

To tag on, generally agreed semi-targets are KCL, Bristol, Bath, Durham, Edinburgh, and St Andrews. Beyond this it is much more debatable, but other universities commonly included in the discussion are Nottingham, Manchester, and Exeter.
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous #1
To tag on, generally agreed semi-targets are KCL, Bristol, Bath, Durham, Edinburgh, and St Andrews. Beyond this it is much more debatable, but other universities commonly included in the discussion are Nottingham, Manchester, and Exeter.

ok If I got to UoM and then oxbridge or lse for postgrad, can I get into investment banking?
(edited 2 months ago)
ok If I got to UoM and then oxbridge or lse for postgrad, can I get into investment banking?

Cambridge isn't a target at PG. PG targets are LBS, LSE, Oxford (distinct top 3), and then Imperial and Warwick. But yes, if you get into one of their finance programmes you will have a good shot at landing an internship. Whether or not you actually break in depends on your performance during a grad scheme/SA internship.
Reply 10
Cambridge isn't a target at PG. PG targets are LBS, LSE, Oxford (distinct top 3), and then Imperial and Warwick. But yes, if you get into one of their finance programmes you will have a good shot at landing an internship. Whether or not you actually break in depends on your performance during a grad scheme/SA internship.

So basically if I got to UoM and then for postgrad go to the ones u mentioned above then I have a hood chance to get into IB. So it's ok to go to UoM if god forbid LSE rejects me right?
So basically if I got to UoM and then for postgrad go to the ones u mentioned above then I have a hood chance to get into IB. So it's ok to go to UoM if god forbid LSE rejects me right?

Well, yes? Not exactly sure what you are asking. Of course it is 'OK' to go to Manchester because its not like you have another option. Manchester is still very decent.

Also don't get hung up on investment banking. The competition is now incomprehensibly intense and you can find many other high paying careers in financial services. You can do everything right and not make it to IB, there is no guarantee of making it. Especially difficult if you are international.
Reply 12
For what it's worth, as someone having been involved in investment banking for some years, it's been my experience that excellent candidates coming from a university such as Manchester- which is highly respected- will have a reasonable chance of going into the industry. As far as so called "target unis" are concerned perhaps graduating from oxbridge might (and I stress upon "might") have a slight advantage, all else being equal. However, any of the very good universities mentioned such as imperial, lse, St andrews, ucl, Edinburgh are generally seen in the same light. Much of what comes after depends on the individual candidate.
Reply 13
Original post by khalmarx
For what it's worth, as someone having been involved in investment banking for some years, it's been my experience that excellent candidates coming from a university such as Manchester- which is highly respected- will have a reasonable chance of going into the industry. As far as so called "target unis" are concerned perhaps graduating from oxbridge might (and I stress upon "might") have a slight advantage, all else being equal. However, any of the very good universities mentioned such as imperial, lse, St andrews, ucl, Edinburgh are generally seen in the same light. Much of what comes after depends on the individual candidate.

Ohh **** damn bro. Tysm bro for the reply. Like I was really considering a gap year but you have really helped me here
Reply 14
Well, yes? Not exactly sure what you are asking. Of course it is 'OK' to go to Manchester because its not like you have another option. Manchester is still very decent.

Also don't get hung up on investment banking. The competition is now incomprehensibly intense and you can find many other high paying careers in financial services. You can do everything right and not make it to IB, there is no guarantee of making it. Especially difficult if you are international.

What other careers might there be for me?
Reply 15

what about bayes business school?
Original post by nath22
what about bayes business school?

Definitely took a hit after being renamed. Either at the lower end of semi-target or not a target. Can definitely still make a good career after having attended there. All this target/semi-target business can be a little bit over-emphasised than it is in reality.
Reply 17
Definitely took a hit after being renamed. Either at the lower end of semi-target or not a target. Can definitely still make a good career after having attended there. All this target/semi-target business can be a little bit over-emphasised than it is in reality.

anything you would suggest to maximize my chances for a good career because I'm looking to firm bayes for this September? thank you very much
Original post by nath22
anything you would suggest to maximize my chances for a good career because I'm looking to firm bayes for this September? thank you very much

Great, still a very respectable university. Depends on what career you're looking at. But generally for FO (excluding trading) finance roles you need to have accounting proficiency (very comfortable with 3 statements, can understand how line items interact and impact the CFS). A first or high upper second is also kind of necessary for the most competitive roles. Also doesn't usually get spoken about, but just being a personable and well rounded person is extremely valuable.
Reply 19
Great, still a very respectable university. Depends on what career you're looking at. But generally for FO (excluding trading) finance roles you need to have accounting proficiency (very comfortable with 3 statements, can understand how line items interact and impact the CFS). A first or high upper second is also kind of necessary for the most competitive roles. Also doesn't usually get spoken about, but just being a personable and well rounded person is extremely valuable.

i see, im looking to firm the BSc Business with Finance course, looking for a financial role after uni and I'm hoping to put in the work for a first, some of the units are -
Financial and management accounting, Business economics, Quantitative methods and analytics

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending