The Student Room Group

Complex ions showing optical isomerism question

Hi so I’m revising complex ions and have learnt that for an optical isomer to form they need to have 3 bidentate ligands or 2 bidentate ligands and 2 monodentate of the cis isomer. I was just wondering if all the bidentate ligands have to be the same or if they can be different. Same with the monodentate ligands do they have to be both the same ? As for all the examples I have seen they have been the same . Thank you :smile:
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
having drawn some on the back of an envelope, I think they could be different - for me, I have to draw it all out and visualise it on a case-by-case basis anyways. the other thing is, (on OCR at least, my spec) I don't think they'd ask you about a load of the different bidentate ligands. most (if not all) of the time it will just be en (1,4-ethanediamine) so you don't really need to worry, and they'll always give you loads of hints about shape and type of isomerism. if this is more of a 'i know it won't be in the exam i was just wondering' question.... good question!!
Reply 2
Original post by basilpl4nt
having drawn some on the back of an envelope, I think they could be different - for me, I have to draw it all out and visualise it on a case-by-case basis anyways. the other thing is, (on OCR at least, my spec) I don't think they'd ask you about a load of the different bidentate ligands. most (if not all) of the time it will just be en (1,4-ethanediamine) so you don't really need to worry, and they'll always give you loads of hints about shape and type of isomerism. if this is more of a 'i know it won't be in the exam i was just wondering' question.... good question!!

Thank you so much !!! My spec is OCR too and yes it is completely one of those questions . I just couldn’t seem to wrap my head around it but that helps so much thank you !!!

Quick Reply

Latest