The Student Room Group

AQA, do you need to sit AS level exams to get A level or are A level exams enough

I'm interested in doing A-level Biology in around a year but know that with international edexcel exams, you need to sit six exams (3 AS and 3 A) which make up your end A Level grade. Is this also the case with national AQA? or do I only have to sit the 3 A Level exams and can skip AS exams?
Original post by SebastianH
I'm interested in doing A-level Biology in around a year but know that with international edexcel exams, you need to sit six exams (3 AS and 3 A) which make up your end A Level grade. Is this also the case with national AQA? or do I only have to sit the 3 A Level exams and can skip AS exams?

When you say "national AQA", is the nation to which you refer the UK? If so, then it depends on where in the UK you are.

In England, AS levels do not form part of the A level - so you take A level exams only. You'd normally do so after two years of study.

Elsewhere in the UK, you would take AS exams (which provide 40% of your A level mark) at the end of one year, and then A2 exams (which provide the remaining 60%) a year later.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
When you say "national AQA", is the nation to which you refer the UK? If so, then it depends on where in the UK you are.

In England, AS levels do not form part of the A level - so you take A level exams only. You'd normally do so after two years of study.

Elsewhere in the UK, you would take AS exams (which provide 40% of your A level mark) at the end of one year, and then A2 exams (which provide the remaining 60%) a year later.

Thanks for your reply.
And yes, by national AQA, I was referring to the UK or, more specifically England.
So that would mean I can, if I do my exams in England, study the material, and then only do the exams for A level? skipping AS entirely.
Original post by SebastianH
Thanks for your reply.
And yes, by national AQA, I was referring to the UK or, more specifically England.
So that would mean I can, if I do my exams in England, study the material, and then only do the exams for A level? skipping AS entirely.

Correct.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending