The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

History entry 2024

The course I’m interested in has standard entry requirement of AABB, I just got ABBBB in my highers. Hoping for an appeal, but if not would I even be considered for conditional? Doing 2 adv highers and another higher in S6. Looks like the history course is in clearing just now too
Reply 1
Hi well done on your great results. I know quite a few people who applied to Aberdeen for 2023 and received an offer with similar or lower grades to you. Eg: ABBB s5 got offer of one further B. BBBB s5 got offer of one further B (so below the published) and also read that they are flexible in clearing so sounds like it is definitely worth applying
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
Original post by Anonymous
The course I’m interested in has standard entry requirement of AABB, I just got ABBBB in my highers. Hoping for an appeal, but if not would I even be considered for conditional? Doing 2 adv highers and another higher in S6. Looks like the history course is in clearing just now too

This is the University of Aberdeen rep account, thanks for your interest! We obviously can't guarantee whether we will be able to provide you with an offer as it will depend on how many applications are made, but with you having those results and looking at another year of results then receiving a conditional offer is certainly possible. Only thing I will say is that we only look at one qualification from a subject; for instance if you received an A in both Higher and Advanced Higher History we would look at the Advanced Higher since it's the highest level of attainment you have. Hope this makes sense but let us know if you want some more clarification as it can be tricky to explain in messages sometimes.
That being said, if you already have those results and are sitting another Higher as well as Advanced Highers (which are a higher level of qualification) then you're well on your way to meeting the entry requirements! If you're looking to apply through Clearing you can find more details here: https://www.abdn.ac.uk/clearing/degrees/index.php

As a side note, I actually studied history at Aberdeen a couple of years ago, so I'm very happy to answer any questions you might have about being a student at Aberdeen or the subjects you are able to study. Any particular period or area of history you're interested in? If you want to chat about that just let me know but also no worries if you don't have any questions like that just yet!

- Matthew, Enquiry Team
Reply 3
Original post by gilmore33
Hi well done on your great results. I know quite a few people who applied to Aberdeen for 2023 and received an offer with similar or lower grades to you. Eg: ABBB s5 got offer of one further B. BBBB s5 got offer of one further B (so below the published) and also read that they are flexible in clearing so sounds like it is definitely worth applying

Thanks, that’s really helpful to know 🙂
Reply 4
Original post by UoA Enquiry Team
This is the University of Aberdeen rep account, thanks for your interest! We obviously can't guarantee whether we will be able to provide you with an offer as it will depend on how many applications are made, but with you having those results and looking at another year of results then receiving a conditional offer is certainly possible. Only thing I will say is that we only look at one qualification from a subject; for instance if you received an A in both Higher and Advanced Higher History we would look at the Advanced Higher since it's the highest level of attainment you have. Hope this makes sense but let us know if you want some more clarification as it can be tricky to explain in messages sometimes.
That being said, if you already have those results and are sitting another Higher as well as Advanced Highers (which are a higher level of qualification) then you're well on your way to meeting the entry requirements! If you're looking to apply through Clearing you can find more details here: https://www.abdn.ac.uk/clearing/degrees/index.php

As a side note, I actually studied history at Aberdeen a couple of years ago, so I'm very happy to answer any questions you might have about being a student at Aberdeen or the subjects you are able to study. Any particular period or area of history you're interested in? If you want to chat about that just let me know but also no worries if you don't have any questions like that just yet!

- Matthew, Enquiry Team

Thanks. I’ve heard about not counting adv higher and higher, so that’s helpful to know that Aberdeen use that rule. Might get back to you with questions after the open day 🙂
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks. I’ve heard about not counting adv higher and higher, so that’s helpful to know that Aberdeen use that rule. Might get back to you with questions after the open day 🙂

Yeah of course, just let us know if you have any questions and hope you enjoy the open day!

- Matthew, Enquiry Team

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending