The Student Room Group

Studying 'A Cavendish Quantum Mechanics Primer'

Considering that I am still a school student, is it possible to gain a deep understanding of the quantum mechanics in the book 'A Cavendish Quantum Mechanics Primer' just by studying it, or should I accompany it with lectures for help, like Feynman's lectures?
Reply 1
Original post by Sricheta
Considering that I am still a school student, is it possible to gain a deep understanding of the quantum mechanics in the book 'A Cavendish Quantum Mechanics Primer' just by studying it, or should I accompany it with lectures for help, like Feynman's lectures?

Also, sorry if this is the wrong forum. 😅I was a bit confused whether this should be in the Physics forum or the Physics, Chemistry and NatSci university courses forum.
Reply 2
Haven't read it but itseems ike its a decent book and it looks like there's lots of cheap secondhand copies around. Why not give it a try and if it seems to be written in double dutch you can try something else.

Deep understanding is IMO probbly a tall order. Iirc One of Feynmans funny stories is lightly mocking an undergraduate who said he understood electromagnetism (the point being that feynman or anybody else doesnt really understand what's going on with quantum stuff)
Reply 3
Original post by Joinedup
Haven't read it but itseems ike its a decent book and it looks like there's lots of cheap secondhand copies around. Why not give it a try and if it seems to be written in double dutch you can try something else.

Deep understanding is IMO probbly a tall order. Iirc One of Feynmans funny stories is lightly mocking an undergraduate who said he understood electromagnetism (the point being that feynman or anybody else doesnt really understand what's going on with quantum stuff)

That makes sense, I’ll give it a try.
And yeah, quantum mechanics is too weird to understand properly 🥲

Quick Reply

Latest