The Student Room Group

A level physics- Engineering topic question (3)

A refrigerator is designed to make ice at –10 °C from water initially at room temperature. The energy needed to make 1.0 kg of ice at –10 °C from water initially at room temperature is 420 kJ. The refrigerator has a coefficient of performance of 4.5.
(i) Calculate the power input to the refrigerator if it is required to make 5.5 kg of ice every hour.

Can someone please explain what info I’m just not seeing because I cant even think of s formula to link all the info ?
Original post by 1234kelly
A refrigerator is designed to make ice at –10 °C from water initially at room temperature. The energy needed to make 1.0 kg of ice at –10 °C from water initially at room temperature is 420 kJ. The refrigerator has a coefficient of performance of 4.5.
(i) Calculate the power input to the refrigerator if it is required to make 5.5 kg of ice every hour.

Can someone please explain what info I’m just not seeing because I cant even think of s formula to link all the info ?

Do you know what coefficient of performance is or the meaning behind coefficient of performance?

If not, go to the previous thread that you have created which I placed a link for Engineering Physics content from AQA. You can find the coefficient of performance of a refrigerator on page 33.

Quick Reply

Latest