The Student Room Group

picking a levels

i’m currently doing gcses and i would said i have pretty average gcses, many more than average in my school. i’m now choosing to do a levels and i have some idea what i want to do but i want to make it so my a levels can be open to lots of uni/ career options. i’m thinking about doing maths, english lang and economics because i maybe want to do something to do with finance.. generally because i like money ha… i want to just have open a levels in case i change my mind. i’m thinking to maybe go into accountancy or become a solicitor who deals with money in business. or i was thinking of going into engineering, because it sounds interesting. i’m very stuck atm . it’s hard to decide your whole future at the age of 16.. i think i definitely want to do maths just because i enjoy it but i don’t know whether to do physics for engineering.. my father says ‘do a job that can make you money and something your good at , so you can do stuff you enjoy’ . ultimately i want to go into something that i enjoy but also gets a good salary. i’m torn.
Take the three you said and physics as a fourth one then drop your least favourite at the end of your first term or year
Reply 2
Original post by Username123ab
Take the three you said and physics as a fourth one then drop your least favourite at the end of your first term or year

you can drop a levels? i didn’t know that
Reply 3
Original post by evietttt07
i’m currently doing gcses and i would said i have pretty average gcses, many more than average in my school. i’m now choosing to do a levels and i have some idea what i want to do but i want to make it so my a levels can be open to lots of uni/ career options. i’m thinking about doing maths, english lang and economics because i maybe want to do something to do with finance.. generally because i like money ha… i want to just have open a levels in case i change my mind. i’m thinking to maybe go into accountancy or become a solicitor who deals with money in business. or i was thinking of going into engineering, because it sounds interesting. i’m very stuck atm . it’s hard to decide your whole future at the age of 16.. i think i definitely want to do maths just because i enjoy it but i don’t know whether to do physics for engineering.. my father says ‘do a job that can make you money and something your good at , so you can do stuff you enjoy’ . ultimately i want to go into something that i enjoy but also gets a good salary. i’m torn.

Hiya, I’m in yr 13 now and I’ve been doing lots of research into universities, I think I may be able to offer some insight into what I’ve found out!! Maths is definitely a great one to go for, especially if you are thinking about engineering. Lots of engineering courses require maths but even if you don’t end up going down that route, maths is usually considered a very good a-level to have! I would definitely recommend looking into some of the courses you’ve been thinking of taking at uni (though it looks like you’ve already done this!). Engineering may also want a science-based subject as well as maths so physics would be good in that case but it depends which unis you look at! A heads up for physics though, it is a tough subject so you do have to really want to do it, if you’re willing to put in the work though it is a great subject.

Whichever a-levels you chose though, my best advice is to make sure you have looked at everything you do in that course. Don’t pick an a-level because you like one topic but at the same time, don’t be put off of an a-level because of one topic. It’s so important to know what you’re getting yourself in for, speaking from personal experience (I chose physics for the astrophysics topic and ended up missing the whole topic due to a medical issue!!).

Also, remember, it’s better to pass (and pass well) on a subject less related to your future job ideas than to fail (or not do as well at) one that’s more related. So when choosing, consider whether you think you can pass with the grades universities ask for!

If you have any other questions I can try and answer them for you - for reference, I do maths, computer science and physics a-levels! Best of luck making your choices, I’m sure you’ll make the right ones and remember, there are always other routes you can take so try not to stress too much about uni :smile:
Reply 4

You can but it depends on the sixth form you’re going to!! I’d check with them first because some don’t allow that :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Kt_123

Hiya, I’m in yr 13 now and I’ve been doing lots of research into universities, I think I may be able to offer some insight into what I’ve found out!! Maths is definitely a great one to go for, especially if you are thinking about engineering. Lots of engineering courses require maths but even if you don’t end up going down that route, maths is usually considered a very good a-level to have! I would definitely recommend looking into some of the courses you’ve been thinking of taking at uni (though it looks like you’ve already done this!). Engineering may also want a science-based subject as well as maths so physics would be good in that case but it depends which unis you look at! A heads up for physics though, it is a tough subject so you do have to really want to do it, if you’re willing to put in the work though it is a great subject.

Whichever a-levels you chose though, my best advice is to make sure you have looked at everything you do in that course. Don’t pick an a-level because you like one topic but at the same time, don’t be put off of an a-level because of one topic. It’s so important to know what you’re getting yourself in for, speaking from personal experience (I chose physics for the astrophysics topic and ended up missing the whole topic due to a medical issue!!).

Also, remember, it’s better to pass (and pass well) on a subject less related to your future job ideas than to fail (or not do as well at) one that’s more related. So when choosing, consider whether you think you can pass with the grades universities ask for!

If you have any other questions I can try and answer them for you - for reference, I do maths, computer science and physics a-levels! Best of luck making your choices, I’m sure you’ll make the right ones and remember, there are always other routes you can take so try not to stress too much about uni :smile:

ah thank you so much for this advice, i will do further research into this.. i think i have a basis of stuff i want to do at uni, i’ve looked at some courses but i’ll be sure to look at more!!

if you don’t mind me asking, what gcses grades did you get? i don’t know why but im slightly worried about gcses even though i think i’ll do well..

i think physics is something i’ll think about again and do further research into for doing it for a level.

but good luck on whatever your doing in uni!!
Reply 6
Original post by Kt_123

You can but it depends on the sixth form you’re going to!! I’d check with them first because some don’t allow that :smile:

ohh okay thank you!
Reply 7

Even most competitive schools usually allow you to drop 4th A Level in Year 12 but will expect you to do at least 3 A levels.
Reply 8
Original post by blluefish

Even most competitive schools usually allow you to drop 4th A Level in Year 12 but will expect you to do at least 3 A levels.

ah okayy
Reply 9
ah thank you so much for this advice, i will do further research into this.. i think i have a basis of stuff i want to do at uni, i’ve looked at some courses but i’ll be sure to look at more!!

if you don’t mind me asking, what gcses grades did you get? i don’t know why but im slightly worried about gcses even though i think i’ll do well..

i think physics is something i’ll think about again and do further research into for doing it for a level.

I got nine 9s and two 8s :smile:
Genuinely though I have friends doing very well at maths after getting 7s or 8s at GCSEs, below that, as long as you do the work, you ask the teacher if you don’t understand something and you are willing to do work outside of lessons, you would likely still be fine. The problems only start when people don’t do the work and don’t ask for help!

If you’re worried about your grades, as long as they are high enough to take the subject, you’ll be able to do well, it may just take a bit more work depending on your grade!! Physics is defo a hard subject too, it usually needs slightly higher gcse grades (my sixth form wanted a 7 in maths and a 6 in physics!), so as long as you have that you should be good.

:smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Kt_123

I got nine 9s and two 8s :smile:
Genuinely though I have friends doing very well at maths after getting 7s or 8s at GCSEs, below that, as long as you do the work, you ask the teacher if you don’t understand something and you are willing to do work outside of lessons, you would likely still be fine. The problems only start when people don’t do the work and don’t ask for help!

If you’re worried about your grades, as long as they are high enough to take the subject, you’ll be able to do well, it may just take a bit more work depending on your grade!! Physics is defo a hard subject too, it usually needs slightly higher gcse grades (my sixth form wanted a 7 in maths and a 6 in physics!), so as long as you have that you should be good.

:smile:

ah okay! tyvm for all the advice 😄

Hi @evietttt07

When choosing A Levels, if you are yet unsure of the career you want to do and you want to keep your options open then the best idea is to simply choose ones you enjoy. If you enjoy your A levels then you are likely to be able to do better in them than if you simply are doing it because you think you should. If you apply yourself and have good grades then this is the best way to keep all doors and future employment options open 🙂 Don't worry about trying to "decide your whole future" now, in reality lots of people change careers at may different stages of their education/job. For example, if you want to be a Solicitor you do not need to study law at A level and you don't even have to do a law undergrad but can do a conversion course after a different undergrad degree to begin your qualification process. If you enjoy maths then 100% do maths and choose 2/3 more which you are interested in.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Sophie 🙂
Reply 12
Original post by UniofLaw Student

Hi @evietttt07

When choosing A Levels, if you are yet unsure of the career you want to do and you want to keep your options open then the best idea is to simply choose ones you enjoy. If you enjoy your A levels then you are likely to be able to do better in them than if you simply are doing it because you think you should. If you apply yourself and have good grades then this is the best way to keep all doors and future employment options open 🙂 Don't worry about trying to "decide your whole future" now, in reality lots of people change careers at may different stages of their education/job. For example, if you want to be a Solicitor you do not need to study law at A level and you don't even have to do a law undergrad but can do a conversion course after a different undergrad degree to begin your qualification process. If you enjoy maths then 100% do maths and choose 2/3 more which you are interested in.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Sophie 🙂

thank u for the advice !! :smile:)

Quick Reply

Latest