The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why are ginger people offended when you call them ginger?

Scroll to see replies

I prefer auburn :yep:
Why the hell are ginger people disliked though?
Reply 62
It's more about how people say it. But now I've grown up a bit from the days where people would yell "GING-ERRR" at me, I actually don't take offence. I bloody love my hair colour so people can say it offensively and I just laugh!
What? I love being ginge.. When I was at school I was made to feel like it was some kind of disability, but now I wouldn't have it any other way.. I love being ginger and I actually like it when people point it out.. Strange eh?
What's the difference between taking the proverbial out of being ginger and taking it out of someone who's black/brown?
Reply 65
Hm.
"Haha you're ginger"
"Careful, your brains going to fall out"

It's a pretty silly insult. I don't get it and never bothered with it, but then again that's probably because I'm in the ethnic minority myself.

Oh... I guess there have been a couple of tools that come up to you saying "haha you're chinese"
because more often than not, the words preceding 'ginger' are those which would be offensive to them. an example of such a remark would be: 'oi'
Reply 67
you wouldn't walk up to someone black and be like HAHAHAHAHA YOU'RE BLACK HAHAHA would you?!

this thread makes me angry.
gingers stand out.

and are we not supposed to call them ginger? is that politically corrrect? any gingers to answer me?
Reply 69
I'm not offended by people calling me ginger.

It depends on the context.

I have had ginger hair for twenty years, so I'm not sure to what extent I need people to point it out for me. Especially strangers shouting from cars
Reply 70
Depends whether it's a middle aged guy shouting it at me from a car window, or perhaps a girl spitting on me for being ginger.

When my friends call me 'ginger' as a term of affection, doesn't bother me at all.

But this explains it best.
Reply 71
I think ginger hair is really striking, in a good way!
Reply 72
Is ginger actually a colour in its own right or is it like blonde and only applies to hair colour?
Reply 73
I'd like to know the history of the word "ginger" itself.

Its a really ugly word - and I think thats made it a problem.

I swear in the old days they called it "red hair". A lot of old people still do
My best friend is ginger and if anyone insults her pre-fixed by the word ginger (e.g. ginger bitch) she replies with something like "you blonde *******" because she really sees it as only a hair colour. Plus her hair is long, thick and beautiful - she could do hair ads Im sure, I'd kill for hair of that thickness and quality :smile:
dddd
I'd like to know the history of the word "ginger" itself.

Its a really ugly word - and I think thats made it a problem.

I swear in the old days they called it "red hair". A lot of old people still do

red hair sounds very american, and thus unnatural, to me.
Danielle89
My best friend is ginger and if anyone insults her pre-fixed by the word ginger (e.g. ginger bitch) she replies with something like "you blonde *******" because she really sees it as only a hair colour. Plus her hair is long, thick and beautiful - she could do hair ads Im sure, I'd kill for hair of that thickness and quality :smile:

normal straight ginger hair looks fine to me, but curly frizzy ginger hair looks particularly freaky.
rakata
you wouldn't walk up to someone black and be like HAHAHAHAHA YOU'RE BLACK HAHAHA would you?!

this thread makes me angry.

Exactly! I asked someone that exact question and they responded with, "It's different..."

How?!
Reply 78
I think this thread is a stroke of genius. :smile: Who else agrees?
Reply 79
P.S "Strawberry Blondes" are gingers in denial.... :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending