The Student Room Group

the lazer beam..

hey everyone! i'm just wondering...should i get laser eye surgery? i've heard of some of the risks (probably not all of them) but i think that it would be worth it to beable to see without getting up everymorning and putting in contacts!! but then my friend told me that i could go blind from it and i'm like hmmm...so what do you think? just wondering:P
Reply 1
Its quite a lot of money, there are quite a few risks (including blindness) and they won't let you have it til you are 18 anyway.
Reply 2
The risk is non-existent nowadays, I read about laser surgery three years ago and it said the risk of damage was 1 in 20000, and obviously the technology has progressed since.

I'm hoping to get the surgery done in the Christmas holiday. Begone you ugly "you should've gone to Specsavers" spectacles! Do it I say.
Reply 3
Chicken
they won't let you have it til you are 18 anyway.

maybe the rules are different in the US
Reply 4
elpaw
maybe the rules are different in the US

Oh yeah didn't read the location bit.
Reply 5
hmm...well thanx you guys!! yeah i'm not sure about the rules and stuff...but i can definitally find that out! lol! hey good luck with your surgery!!

xoxo
Reply 6
ZJuwelH
The risk is non-existent nowadays, I read about laser surgery three years ago and it said the risk of damage was 1 in 20000, and obviously the technology has progressed since.

Very, very naive. Opinion is split on the risks of laser eye surgery. As for 1 in 20000...... absolute rubbish.
Reply 7
Bigcnee
Very, very naive. Opinion is split on the risks of laser eye surgery. As for 1 in 20000...... absolute rubbish.

Plus once its done, its not reversible, since it involves actually changing the shape of your eyeball to correct long sighted/short sighted-ness.
Reply 8
Is it really worth it?

I wear contacts and it takes about 30 seconds out of my day putting them in and taking them out.

Sure in an ideal world I'd be able to see clearly without them but for the sake of 30 seconds I'm not bothered in the slightest. It takes me much longer to do my hair each day let's put it that way :smile:
Reply 9
*not sure if this is the same thing. but.

my ex girlfriend had laser eye surgery at the age of 16, she had a slight cateract in one eye and had little depth perception, hence not good at tennis.

after the op she sed it was amazxing how much it helped, ! i was happy for her as i can imagine how anoying it must be to always see ur nose ect.

i heard about the risk but she sed it was over before it started, the op isnt long at all.
Reply 10
i've thought about having it done, but i'm sticking with my glasses for now.

Latest

Trending

Trending