The Student Room Group

Radiography and danger

I'm looking into picking an undergraduate course in radiography but I'm really worried about increasing my risk for cancer. Is a career is radiography dangerous?
Reply 1
Hi, I work in a radiology department. hospitals have many measures in place to ensure that members of staff are kept safe. when taking general x rays and ct staff members stay behind a lead screen. where this is not possible ie during theatre members of staff wear lead coats and thyroid shields. some specialties have no exposure to any x rays ( ultrasound and MRI). There is almost no increased danger.
Original post by Oilspill
I'm looking into picking an undergraduate course in radiography but I'm really worried about increasing my risk for cancer. Is a career is radiography dangerous?
@HellomynameisNev Can you add your experience of safety procedures?
Original post by normaw
@HellomynameisNev Can you add your experience of safety procedures?

Not much to add to what genharg said. But from a radiotherapy POV you are never in the room when the radiation is on - older departments with less space have a physical barrier that stops you entering, and radiation leaving, such as a thick door. Newer departments with more space (such as mine) have a maze to enter the room, with laser trip wires that instantly cut out the beam if triggered. There are two "last man" buttons that have to be pressed, consecutively, within a time limit, as you leave the treatment room that act as safety interlocks, otherwise it won't let you beam on. The walls are extremely thick concrete, with barium plaster, which the radiation can't penetrate. You wear a dose badge at all times, which is regularly sent away to check you haven't been exposed. Periodic monitoring of the control rooms is performed to check there's no "leakage" of radiation.

Radiation safety is taken VERY seriously, and I have absolutely zero doubts that working in radiotherapy is safe for the staff. Manual handling is a far bigger health risk than radiation! :biggrin:
Original post by HellomynameisNev
.... Radiation safety is taken VERY seriously, and I have absolutely zero doubts that working in radiotherapy is safe for the staff. Manual handling is a far bigger health risk than radiation! :biggrin:

PRSOM

Quick Reply

Latest