The Student Room Group

Why is psychology so popular?

Hi everyone! :biggrin:
At my sixth form college so many people seem to do AS and A level psychology and I just wanted to know why this subject is so popular, not just at my college, but in general for AS and A level. To be honest, I don't really see the attraction of the subject, it seems so boring to me! Therefore, I'd be interested to know why so many people choose it!

Scroll to see replies

its one of those subjects to make up your numbers, like sociology :smile: in my eyes anyway

cue neg reps.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
because to them it isn't boring
They think it will be interesting, or they think it will be easy.
Because people link it to Freudian psychoanalysis and it's obsession with sex and assume it'll be one big sexy romp.
They want to be like Derren Brown
(edited 12 years ago)
It sounds cool? :smile:
Reply 7
Because it's interesting, and it really is an easy A. :smile:

EDIT: Neg rep? Does someone find it hard? :confused: This is just my personal opinion, I find Psychology really easy and enjoyable.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by The Cornerstone
They want to be like Darren Brown

*Derren
Reply 9
Because it is a change from the subjects that they have been taugt since they were little :tongue:
Reply 10

It's funny how they think psychology will teach them how to hypnotize people, when such skills are usually the result of a master degree perhaps.
Reply 11
Many people (such as myself) take it out of interest. The majority take it because they think it'll be easy though..And fall flat on their faces :p:
Reply 12
i find threads like these boring, but you don't see me making a thread about why so many people make pointless threads and why so many people do it. Do you.

shhhhhh.
Reply 13
Because to some people it sounds way more exciting than maths or history etc :smile:
Reply 14

yep, they're probably derren brown fanboys. Gotta admit though, he is so cool!
1. Some think it is easier (i am not sure this is true)
2. Some think it is interesting and fascinating how our brains work
3. It can link in to most jobs (e.g studying how to motivate people in business, how sportsmen should prepare for a major event, how we think, how dyslexia works etc).
4. Some think it is more than just studying for an exam.
5. There are some well paid jobs in psychology
Reply 16
Original post by madders94
Because it's interesting, and it really is an easy A. :smile:

O rly? :eyeball:
Reply 17
Original post by RinniieX
i find threads like these boring, but you don't see me making a thread about why so many people make pointless threads and why so many people do it. Do you.

shhhhhh.

If you don't like then don't look at it. Your opinion as to what is pointless will be different to that of someone else. Shhhhhhhh
Reply 18
Why is any subject as popular as it is? Because that amount of people find it interesting and want to study it...
All the people who scraped Cs and Ds at GCSE at my school take it, so that says it all really...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending