The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Whilst the interview is perhaps slightly less important at Cambridge, the difference is small and that is still the most important part of the application.

I also think you underestimate the standard of GCSEs for Oxbridge medicine. Yours would be, believe it or not, about average for an offer-holder.

You would be able to put in a strong application to both universities though. I'd say look at other factors like the course etc, before making a decision.

Original post by BulgeBracket
I never understood something; arent all medicine degrees equal when applying to hospitals? (unlike law, economics degrees etc.)

What is that advantages of breaking your back to enter this already extremely competitive course in Oxbridge other than prestige?

How about, the unique course structure, the great historic surroundings, some of the cheapest (and most unique) accommodation available, the short terms, opportunities for travel and sport, good location, college life, subsidized food, among many other things? Just guessing :dontknow:

Besides, it not like other unis are much less competitive, if at all. It certainly isn't by some measures, and indeed Oxford was the only offer i received (receiving pre-interview rejections from the other 3). Cambridge had the second fewest applicants per place last year (not that that is a great indication, but still).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9781
Original post by The Mr Z
9 GCSEs is plenty, I know you hear stories of the people who got 15A* and so on but they're really few in number.
6A* and 3As is fine, it's good enough for Oxbridge (with good performance on aptitude tests and interview of course) and good enough for everywhere else.

Thanks! I love you guys, you are so supportive!
I am very happy going to somewhere not as good as oxbridge, for example, Exeter, York, Warwick, you think it will be enough for those?
Reply 9782
Hi.. I just found out my GCSE results and i got:

1 A* (potentially 2 as I'm getting a paper remarked) 8 A's and 2 B's.

Are these grades good enough for dentistry?

And also, my a level choices are Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Geography.. what do you make of these taking into consideration my wanted profession?
Reply 9783
Original post by oli_G
Don't worry the results are great. They'll be fine for all unis bar a couple.

Thanks mate, I generally feel I will do better at A-level. I struggled with organising my time for so many exams :s-smilie: so hopefully will be better with less. Would it count me out for any except oxbridge ? Thanks, your so supportive!
Reply 9784
Hey all, I was wondering what you think my chances are of getting into Cambridge to study economics. My grades are as follows.

GCSE : 6A* 3A
AS : AAA ( Chem, phy, econ)
A2 : A* (Maths a year early)
However I'm quite dissapointed because I only average 88% across the four and understand that most successful applicants have around 95%. Thanks
Original post by stephie184
I knew I was never going to go to Oxbrigde anyway, not even in my dreams lol
My parents said that I should apply for the same university my older brother went to which was St Georges.

That would be a good idea - they interview lots and i believe have relatively low academic requirements.

Do lots of research and find the unis which value things other than GCSEs. Play to your strengths, do well in AS etc, and you could easily end up getting in to medicine. The reason i say your chances are small is mainly because bad GCSEs usually means that the AS?UKCAT will also not be good. There are plenty of exceptions though, so prove me wrong!

Key to any medicine app' is work experience also - get plenty of it and look up how to make that impact on the personal statement etc also.
Your 'girlfriends' are not going to be there forever, and going to university is independent of 'having a normal life'. If you really don't want to go to university, then i admire that resolve. However, do bear in mind that you should have other plans lined up. Hoping things will continue as they are forever is just naiive.
Original post by Az_016
Hey all, I was wondering what you think my chances are of getting into Cambridge to study economics. My grades are as follows.

However I'm quite dissapointed because I only average 88% across the four and understand that most successful applicants have around 95%. Thanks

is it 95% now? No one told any of us actually here that! Our grades have clearly improved since we arrived!

88% is absolutely fine, you're still a perfectly strong applicant. Also, Cambridge only look at the 3 most relevant, which probably pushes your average up a bit.

Also, you already have an A*.

Your chances are absolutely fine, it will be dependant on interview performance, but from a grade-standpoint you're a strong candidate.
Original post by astro67

It's possible (we can't know so apologies if this is wide of the mark) that when you mention being happy leading a normal life, what you're really thinking of is the life you have now. If that's the case, the bad (actually it's not bad but it may be unwelcome) news is that you don't have the option to preserve the status quo - your life will change (and so it should) and the only question is exactly how it will change.

Most pertinent thought I've read on this thread. However much you may like your current situation, it is transient. Not wanting Oxford is fine. Not wanting university is fine. But don't make the decision to avoid either for the wrong reasons.
Original post by singe95
Thanks! I love you guys, you are so supportive!
I am very happy going to somewhere not as good as oxbridge, for example, Exeter, York, Warwick, you think it will be enough for those?

I just told you it's good enough for Oxbridge, it's certainly good enough for York, Warwick etc.
You should still be aiming for Oxbridge, it's completely within your reach.
Reply 9790
Original post by The Mr Z
is it 95% now? No one told any of us actually here that! Our grades have clearly improved since we arrived!

88% is absolutely fine, you're still a perfectly strong applicant. Also, Cambridge only look at the 3 most relevant, which probably pushes your average up a bit.

Also, you already have an A*.

Your chances are absolutely fine, it will be dependant on interview performance, but from a grade-standpoint you're a strong candidate.

Thanks for your reply, feel much better now because I thought I was effectively ruled out.
Original post by Az_016

88% is great you shouldn't be disappointed!! Plus well done with the A* in maths already. That will help you out a lot with your application this year because they will consider you a lower risk applicant. Meaning because you have already achieved the A* they know you are realistically going to get the two other As next year. Apply with confidence!! :biggrin:
Reply 9792
Original post by the real viper
88% is great you shouldn't be disappointed!! Plus well done with the A* in maths already. That will help you out a lot with your application this year because they will consider you a lower risk applicant. Meaning because you have already achieved the A* they know you are realistically going to get the two other As next year. Apply with confidence!! :biggrin:

Thanks! Also, is there any advantage in carrying all my subjects to A2 or should I drop one of chemistry or physics because then I could spend more time reading around my subject etc
Original post by Az_016
Thanks! Also, is there any advantage in carrying all my subjects to A2 or should I drop one of chemistry or physics because then I could spend more time reading around my subject etc

I think you should check carefully before you do; while I have seen people with AA offers, I have also heard of others being asked for three A levels in the same sitting, so I am not sure that you should drop one.
Original post by V95
Hi.. I just found out my GCSE results and i got:

1 A* (potentially 2 as I'm getting a paper remarked) 8 A's and 2 B's.

Are these grades good enough for dentistry?

And also, my a level choices are Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Geography.. what do you make of these taking into consideration my wanted profession?

I'm not sure either institution actually offers Dentistry :nah:
Original post by Dianysus
That is utter rubbish. My uncle is an admissions tutor at Bristol for medicine, and he says you need 5 A grades at GCSE...

Glad to hear it, I heard it through my biology teacher and her experiences of people trying to get in :-P I thought it sounded a bit rich too!
Original post by singe95
Thanks for your help. Although, I will be perfectly content going somewhere like Exeter, York, basically top good russel group uni's! still good enough? I am so worried I haven't take enough GCSE's
Quality over quantity ?
Is it true for Durham you'll be 9A*s? :s-smilie:

This probably isn't very helpful but I can't resist the pedantry of pointing out that none of the three Universities mentioned are in the Russell Group. It's a minor point and it's probably just a personal bugbear that it bothers me that some people assume that 'Russell Group' is a synonym for 'best' when it comes to Universities when it's more complicated than that.
Reply 9797
Hey I just got my results a few days back and this very question came to my mind, so here I am.

In GCSE's I got:

Maths (One year early) A*
Additional Maths A*
Chemistry A*
Physics A*
Biology A*
English Language A*
English Literature A*
ICT A*
Religious Studies (RS) A*
History A
Economics A
French A

So basically it's 9A*s 3As but I do have a feeling that my history will go to an A* as i have gotten high A*s for every single exam, but my CW which was meant to be 90 ums was moderated down to 70 (and i only need about 80 ums for an A*), so i will be making an appeal for that.

Anyways, on top of this, my only other achievement is that I got a Gold in the the intermediate UKMT (UK Maths Trust) Challenge.

My A levels are currently Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics and History (but i am thinking of not doing History anymore as I have been told that 5 may be too much burden on me specially with this type of combination).

So here is a question, my passion has always been maths and my aim is to do Pure Maths at university but i have been told that it is very tough to be accepted for that at good universities, hence I am not even that sure about it. Maybe doctor (as thats what my parents tell me)?

So do I have a chance to be accepted at the prestigious OxBridge for pure maths, or anything else at all?

Thanks
Original post by Az_016

Personally i would advise taking all 3 onto A level. A large number of applicants will have 4 A Levels furthermore you would only be taking 3 onto A Level having already done Maths. I have decided to keep my 4 onto A2 due to the fact i enjoy them all and believe i can achieve good grades in them. So as long as you enjoy both chemistry and physics and think you can get A/A* then GO FOR IT!!! :colonhash:
Reply 9799
I'm a languages applicant (French, German & Russian) for Cambridge. Are my GCSE grades likely to set me back, assuming I get AAAAA at AS and A*AA or more at A2 and do an awesome PS etc? I'm thinking of applying through CSAS because I broke my arm during year 11 and needed two operations so a lot of disruption and also my school has been declared inadequate by Ofsted.
My grades are A*A*AAAAAAAAPPP (A*s in French and German, so the relevant subjects)

And yes this is a repost because nobody replied earlier :emo:

Latest

Trending

Trending