The Student Room Group

Finalising my personal statement. Help wanted.

Is it okay to use the word 'vet' in the personal statement?
Reply 1
Hiya :smile: Sadly, no, you need to use 'veterinary surgeon' instead. 'Vet' is a bit informal for a personal statement. Which is a shame because it uses up so many less characters!
I thought that if you use Veterinary Surgeon or Veterinarian once at the begining that it would be okay to abbriviate it to Vet for the rest of the statement. This is what I've done and I got it check by a Vet Student and she said that it was okay to do so.
Reply 3
I have used vet in mine and I used it last year and got 2 interviews so I guess it doesnt make that much difference?!
Reply 4
I used veterinary surgeon the first time and vet every time after that and I got 3 interviews when I applied :smile:
Reply 5
you'll sound repetitive if you keep using veterinary surgeon! mix it up a bit but keep it formal. at the end of the day i don't think it'll be a deciding factor as to whether or not you get an interview :smile:
Reply 6
Obviously it would be ideal to have everything written out in full but if you're really struggling for characters, evidence would suggest that you'd be fine to use the word "vet" a few times!
Reply 7
I asked a tutor in my college and she has close links with liverpool uni in the vet med and medicine bit and she said its alright to use vet seen as most vets will refer as themselves as a vet.
vet is fine :smile:
Reply 9
the first reply is insane?? of course you can write vet!!
WHOA. I almost got a heart attack after reading the first response! :eek:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending