The Student Room Group

Has anyone ever been invited to DESG assessment centre?

I've applied two years running.

I graduated in 2010 with a 1st in maths from Exeter, didn't get invited to an assessment centre that year even though I was told I passed the online test (and was told to wait for further information).

I thought '.. fair enough, I don't have much job experience apart from Sainsburys, and I'm sure the field is tough'

Since then I worked 8 months in a full time finance job, before realising finance isn't my thing and I would much rather do something more technical, so I am back at uni now doing an MSc in Math.

So I reapplied to DESG this year thinking my chances were much higher and just recieved an email today saying 'We have been overwhelmed by the number of applications received for this particular scheme and although you performed well at your situational judgement exercise, you did not meet the standard required to be invited to an assessment centre on this occasion.'

I don't get it, at least last year I was told to hold on for an invite (but didn't get one) and since then I've enhanced my CV ten-fold and it seems as though I've gone backwards! Perhaps I failed the online test this year and I've misunderstpod the email?

Or am I not right for DESG? Do they want an engineering degree?

It sucks because I literally live right next to their offices in Bath and it would have been perfect for me!
Reply 1
I know nothing about this scheme but it does seem harsh. I see that they're only taking on 80 graduates this year. Do they take people with post grad qualifications? It might be like the NHS clinical scientist scheme, where you have people with BScs up against others with MScs and PhDs. If there's a fancy point scoring system (which the public sector loves :biggrin:) then you could lose out to people who are no better than you in the tests but have higher qualifications. The MSc is probably a good move and you've had paid work experience which always helps when starting out.
http://targetjobs.co.uk/uk300/desg
Reply 2
Yep, i emailed them and their response was:

'Further to your email. You did scored highly on the online test, however we have received over 1000 applicants for the DESG Graduate scheme this year, with only just over 100 places at the assessment centre. candidates are placed in order of merit based on their score and degree discipline.'

I think I'm just against people with degrees in Engineering, so it seems as though I'll never get a place!
Reply 3
I saw on the DESG page a recent maths graduate they'd taken on but the others were all engineers. So may be they only take a limited number of mathematicians each year. If not doing engineering may be physics would be the best bet.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending