The Student Room Group

Why is everybody so anti tall women dating short men?

Im just wondering this as a 5ft11 girl whose dating a 5ft9 guy constantly im facing people being nasty about it making snide comments taking the piss out of us.

I read somewhere that women over 6ft who will only date men taller than themselves reduce the dating 'pool' by 80%, considering the average height of a man in the uk is about 5ft8/9 and im clearly way over that height Ive realised that height is irrelevent. Yes it can be pretty awkard not being able to wear heels and yes i do feel like the giant troll as im taller than him but we hardly notice it anylonger.

Ive dated 'taller guys' ive been with my boyfriend since i was 18 im now 20 and before i met him i was worried about dating a shorter guy incase people took the piss so ive dated taller guys who were dicks and ********s who treated me like ****. So when my boyfriend came along he was funny, gorgous smart friendly and has a heart of gold I really had to question why would I reject somebody who could be my perfect man because he's lacking a few inches in the height deparment.

I understand that somepeople physically cant find a shorter person attractive and thats fair enough however I dont get why people feel the need to be nasty about my relationship. The only things my friends said when they met my boyfriend was 'god he is short' bearing in mind he comes to above my ears its not like hes not even above my shoulder. My mum told me that the realtionship wont last and sdhe wont take it seriously i cant possibly stay with him and marry him because he is shorter than me.

I just dont get this attitude why is it so wrong or frowned upon for a tall women to date a shorter man as long as they treat each other right and make each other happy thats all that should count

Scroll to see replies

Because some people still live in the 19th Century.
Reply 2
Do you SERIOUSLY give a phuck what other people think ?
Reply 3
Because it goes against all gender stereotypes, the concept of strength of masculinity and freudian concepts such as penis envy.

I personally would not date a taller girl. end of.
Reply 4
I am taller than my boyfriend, and haters can shut the **** up :h:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by manty
Because it goes against all gender stereotypes, the concept of strength of masculinity and freudian concepts such as penis envy.

I personally would not date a taller girl. end of.

How does it affect you being masculine my boyfriends heavier than me got alot of muscle is very broad just because hes not taller than me doesnt mean hes not manly or strong hes far stronger than me
Reply 6
I'm a guy and i've been with a girl who was alot taller than me, and one who is a good bit shorter than me (my current gf) and I didnt have any height related issues with either, I think its just a petty shallow thing people made up some time ago

Why should it matter if you love/like/fancy the person? It should'nt, if anyone does find it a problem they should probably tackle their own insecurities rather than judging, belitteling or just taking the piss out of others :smile:

Im 6ft 1 btw, my girlfriend before was 6'4 and my current is like 5'4 so a wee bit of a difference, but it never bothered me :smile:...as it should'nt
Who cares? If they're happy together and the height thing doesn't bother them then it shouldn't matter what anyone else thinks. Some people are just dickheads.

I have no personal experience of this though, I'm only 5ft 2.5 so I'd be pretty hard pressed to find a guy that was shorter than me :P
Reply 8
It's just awkward.
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
How does it affect you being masculine my boyfriends heavier than me got alot of muscle is very broad just because hes not taller than me doesnt mean hes not manly or strong hes far stronger than me

Well i guess if you think having lots of muscle makes you manly then fair enough, others would argue its a turn off, difference of opinion. I personally, wouldn't want to be smaller than the girl, it's awkward, doesn't feel right. Means she can't wear heels etc

Btw what you just described i have an image of a guy with small mans syndrome..
Purely because it's a bit different. That's what we humans are like, if someone's not doing something that everyone else is doing then they're a freak, weirdo, whatever. This is just the way our stupid monkey brains are programmed unfortunately. You're not conforming (urgh, can't help cringing at talk of "conforming", it's a tainted word now) to this expectation so you're gonna get **** for it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
To be perfectly honest though, you and your boyfriend have a height difference of 2 inches, which is next to nothing. Yes it's noticeable, but not very noticeable. It's not like your boyfriend is short either, in terms of the average height in the UK, so I don't think he's 'lacking a few inches' in the height department. That said, I'm happy that there are some girls out there with brains so you have partially restored my faith in humanity OP. :smile:
Reply 12
I do feel bad for short guys, the way society seems to work is that every single thing they do is somehow trying to compensate for their lack of height. Get a nice car - oh yer but he is short. Get big - yes but he is short. You get the idea. Unfortunately it is just natural, being tall makes you seem more powerful and commanding, traits that would often be deemed to be attractive in men. Shorter guys have to be that much better looking, smarter, funnier etc to make up for that loss. As for your boyfriend OP, who really cares, 5'9 isnt exactly tall but it isn't circus small either.
Reply 13
people are just programmed to try find imperfections in other people to make selves them feel less insecure. that's a bit of psychology for you. Its not a big deal as long as your happy it irrational to live your life based on what other think. as long as you know yourself the rest doesn't matter. :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Dnator
I do feel bad for short guys, the way society seems to work is that every single thing they do is somehow trying to compensate for their lack of height. Get a nice car - oh yer but he is short. Get big - yes but he is short. You get the idea. Unfortunately it is just natural, being tall makes you seem more powerful and commanding, traits that would often be deemed to be attractive in men. Shorter guys have to be that much better looking, smarter, funnier etc to make up for that loss. As for your boyfriend OP, who really cares, 5'9 isnt exactly tall but it isn't circus small either.

its not society its pretty much human nature, but it is a shame how short guys are treated im 5,5 and i personally have never had a problem with it i think i might still be growing but yeah i see how it affects older guys who are short.
take it as empowerment maybe?
Original post by Anonymous
Im just wondering this as a 5ft11 girl whose dating a 5ft9 guy constantly im facing people being nasty about it making snide comments taking the piss out of us.

I read somewhere that women over 6ft who will only date men taller than themselves reduce the dating 'pool' by 80%, considering the average height of a man in the uk is about 5ft8/9 and im clearly way over that height Ive realised that height is irrelevent. Yes it can be pretty awkard not being able to wear heels and yes i do feel like the giant troll as im taller than him but we hardly notice it anylonger.

Ive dated 'taller guys' ive been with my boyfriend since i was 18 im now 20 and before i met him i was worried about dating a shorter guy incase people took the piss so ive dated taller guys who were dicks and ********s who treated me like ****. So when my boyfriend came along he was funny, gorgous smart friendly and has a heart of gold I really had to question why would I reject somebody who could be my perfect man because he's lacking a few inches in the height deparment.

I understand that somepeople physically cant find a shorter person attractive and thats fair enough however I dont get why people feel the need to be nasty about my relationship. The only things my friends said when they met my boyfriend was 'god he is short' bearing in mind he comes to above my ears its not like hes not even above my shoulder. My mum told me that the realtionship wont last and sdhe wont take it seriously i cant possibly stay with him and marry him because he is shorter than me.

I just dont get this attitude why is it so wrong or frowned upon for a tall women to date a shorter man as long as they treat each other right and make each other happy thats all that should count

I get this too, im actually pretty short (5ft4) and my bofriends a few inches shorter than me, more so when i wear heels and we get so many weird looks and comments, i dont really understand, someone actually asked whether im "the man" of the relationship just because of the heigh difference..wtf?
I didn't realise you meant 5'9" by short. I was just thinking it would be great to have someone to give me a better view of the world. :moon:
Original post by manty
Well i guess if you think having lots of muscle makes you manly then fair enough, others would argue its a turn off, difference of opinion. I personally, wouldn't want to be smaller than the girl, it's awkward, doesn't feel right. Means she can't wear heels etc

Btw what you just described i have an image of a guy with small mans syndrome..

i wear 5inch heels around my already-shorter-than-me boyfriend and he doesnt care.
Reply 19
Original post by Care-Free
i wear 5inch heels around my already-shorter-than-me boyfriend and he doesnt care.

Haha, that's hilairious! Do you get a step ladder out for him to kiss you, or just kneel on the floor?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending