The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Exams at work? Charging you £5k for quitting? I am 12 and what is this?
Reply 21
Original post by WGR
Exams at work? Charging you £5k for quitting? I am 12 and what is this?

It's when you realise school/uni is the easy bit - a twenty year joke compared to real life :biggrin:

OP. Good move.
We spend the vast majority of our lives working. If you're not happy in your job it's hardly a recipe for happiness in life, right?
Don't view it is wasted time, it isn't. It was time well invested, the skills learned will pay dividends and if nothing else you have eliminated one career from the list that you know 100% isn't for you. Many people never even figure that much out and suffer in career 1 for their whole lives.
Reply 22
Original post by brabzzz
It's when you realise school/uni is the easy bit - a twenty year joke compared to real life :biggrin:

OP. Good move.
We spend the vast majority of our lives working. If you're not happy in your job it's hardly a recipe for happiness in life, right?
Don't view it is wasted time, it isn't. It was time well invested, the skills learned will pay dividends and if nothing else you have eliminated one career from the list that you know 100% isn't for you. Many people never even figure that much out and suffer in career 1 for their whole lives.

This is what crushed me at university. I hated it there yet was constantly told that this was the best time of my life and work would be worse. That just made me want to kill myself.
Reply 23
Original post by WGR
This is what crushed me at university. I hated it there yet was constantly told that this was the best time of my life and work would be worse. That just made me want to kill myself.

Hahh same! If uni is meant to be the best years of my life then I can't wait for the following 40 years....
Original post by WGR

Different strokes for different folks though, some people love working and hate the laziness of student life.
Reply 25
..... You're on £28k and you haven't done any exams yet?! Wow.... Need to look for a new job... I'm on £24k and I've only got 2 exams left.

My advice would be to give the exams a go - with no frame of reference it's easy to think you're going to fail.

I've taken some ACCA exams which I was sure I'd fail and ended up passing. Just go for it. Then if you fail (I doubt they'll charge you £5k), that's that.
Original post by Steezy
..... You're on £28k and you haven't done any exams yet?! Wow.... Need to look for a new job... I'm on £24k and I've only got 2 exams left.

This is standard Big 4 London. But it doesn't go up as you pass them (besides your annual raise of ~£1k, which isn't dependent on exam performance).
Reply 27
Original post by Hedgeman49
This is standard Big 4 London. But it doesn't go up as you pass them (besides your annual raise of ~£1k, which isn't dependent on exam performance).

Yeah but I guess you guys make up for it in hours, stress, travel/living, etc
Reply 28
Original post by Destiny_808

I think so, if you want I can ask someone about it?

Hey Destiny, check your inbox.
I left after two months! And if anything it has increased my employability and helped me with other job apps. Best decision I ever made
Reply 30

Only in the first year is the raise 1k. It does get better! :tongue:

Original post by Individual
I left after two months! And if anything it has increased my employability and helped me with other job apps. Best decision I ever made

Your leaving after two months increased your employability? Seems unlikely.
Original post by M1011

Your leaving after two months increased your employability? Seems unlikely.

Having them on my CV definitely helped as future employers saw that I passed the rigors of a big 4 application process.

Why would you presume it wouldn't? I left due to unforseen personal problems. Even if I had left because i disliked it, the big 4 give out intentionally vague references that only state the dates you were employed by them. This serves to allow the employees to explain in whatever manner they wish to future employers their reason for leaving. If you're there for a day or a year, you still proved yourself worthy of being at one of the most prestigious financial services firm in the world.
Reply 32
Original post by Individual
Having them on my CV definitely helped as future employers saw that I passed the rigors of a big 4 application process.

Why would you presume it wouldn't? I left due to unforseen personal problems. Even if I had left because i disliked it, the big 4 give out intentionally vague references that only state the dates you were employed by them. This serves to allow the employees to explain in whatever manner they wish to future employers their reason for leaving. If you're there for a day or a year, you still proved yourself worthy of being at one of the most prestigious financial services firm in the world.

Ah, so your joining helped your CV, not your leaving. That makes more sense.

"I left after two months! And if anything it has increased my employability and helped me with other job apps. Best decision I ever made "

Gives the impression that leaving was a great decision and actively increased your employability!
Hi,
I know you have decided to leave, best wishes to what you decide to do next!

Can you give me some advice on how to study for ACA?
How did you manage to study for 3 certificate level exams at a time?
Have you got any advice?

I'm currently struggling with the work load even though its only multiple choice questions!
Now I'm currently in the same situation as you were a few months ago.... :frown:
Original post by countingstars123
Hi,

Have you got any advice?

I'm currently struggling with the work load even though its only multiple choice questions!
Now I'm currently in the same situation as you were a few months ago.... :frown:

Do every question you can get your hands on. Then if you have some spare time, do them again or learn some chunks out of the notes
Hi,

Have you got any advice?

Work more

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do every question you can get your hands on. Then if you have some spare time, do them again or learn some chunks out of the notes

Thanks Hedgeman!

Whats the likelihood of ACA using questions not in the question bank in the actual test?
Reply 37
Thanks Hedgeman!

Whats the likelihood of ACA using questions not in the question bank in the actual test?

You surely don't think they're going to use questions from the question bank in the actual exam..?

:facepalm2:
Thanks Hedgeman!

100%

Oh dear...
Reply 39
I always wondered about this thread. I don't know why, but I'm not happy whenever I hear that someone is quitting the Big 4 because of the work load! Regardless, wishing you the best.

Best./
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending