The Student Room Group

Uni Loans as a Muslim

I'm a Muslim and I would just like to ask if any fellow Muslims move into uni halls, how did you pay for your accommodation and tuition fees without a loan? If you did take out a loan, what made you do so?

I'm just interested as I would like to move into uni halls when I go to University but on top of moving there, I would have to pay accommodation as well as tuition fees. I'd like to pay them without a loan if possible.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not a muslim but surely it's pretty obvious. If they had the money, they paid. If they didn't, they either took out the loan, or didn't go.
Reply 2
Original post by Damask-
Not a muslim but surely it's pretty obvious. If they had the money, they paid. If they didn't, they either took out the loan, or didn't go.

He is asking most likely because of the issue of interest, interest is "haram" in Islam.
Reply 3
This is ridiculous. If interest is such an issue then just pay back the interest to charity later on.
Reply 4
Someone paid for it/travelled from home.

Original post by Damask-

Unfortunately, loans in the UK are interest based.

Original post by kumon
This is ridiculous. If interest is such an issue then just pay back the interest to charity later on.

Dumbest thing I've read. You can't commit sin in order to achieve good.

"Let's gamble all our money and give everything to charity"
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Al-Mudaari
Someone paid for it/travelled from home.

Unfortunately, loans in the UK are interest based.

Dumbest thing I've read. You can't commit sin in order to achieve good.

"Let's gamble all our money and give everything to charity"

Heard of doing things for the great good? You have to be in the system and progress in it, before you can change it, unless you have a huge protest and riot and even then, you'll be destroyed as seen through recent and former history.
Reply 6
I'm a Muslim. I lived in halls for 3 years. I took out a loan with student finance. At the end of the day, it wasn't realistic for me to travel 3 hours each way for university, so it made sense for me to relocate.
I respect what you're saying about interest but surely as it's for your education (in a roundabout way), it should be fine?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm going to a University 3 hours away from home so I'm taking out Maintenance Loan otherwise I can't afford it.
Reply 8
Who made that rule? Who was giving out interest loans in the times Islam was founded?
My understanding is that the (entirely reasonable) reason why interest is banned in Islam (well, theoretically - there seem to be a lot of work-arounds) is to stop people getting sucked into the sort of debt offered by Wonga and loan sharks. Entirely reasonable - they're never good for anyone.

However, given the extremely soft loan repayment terms - so soft that most people will never pay them off in full, and some will never even start paying them off, it's not possible to get pulled into the sort of debt cycle that these rules are designed to avoid. Exploitation it is not.
Reply 10
Original post by Alfissti
He is asking most likely because of the issue of interest, interest is "haram" in Islam.

Is it? LOL. I learn more random facts about that religion every day. Quality.

Ah seriously? Post edited by a mod. **** this fascist POS website.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Are there not any companies which do Islamic student financing? I know there are Islamic mortgages that aren't technically loans. The bank owns the house and you pay rent + payment towards buying the house from them. Is there something similar for paying tuition fees? Not sure how that would work though. And I suppose if there is a company that does that, it probably wouldn't be a good deal compared to a normal student loan.
Reply 12
Original post by Psyk
. And I suppose if there is a company that does that, it probably wouldn't be a good deal compared to a normal student loan.

Unforntuatly, you're right. As far as I'm aware the only company to offer student loans is the main student finance groups that people apply to normally. There may be an Islamic loan, but it wouldn't be as good value as the student loans company.

The general question has got to be whether you personally find student loans incompatible with Islam. If you do, and you can't pay upfront, then you can't go to uni, it's as simple as that. That being said, there are at lot of Muslims who go to university every year!
Reply 13
Original post by Psyk
Are there not any companies which do Islamic student financing? I know there are Islamic mortgages that aren't technically loans. The bank owns the house and you pay rent + payment towards buying the house from them.

Original post by Strangey
The general question has got to be whether you personally find student loans incompatible with Islam. If you do, and you can't pay upfront, then you can't go to uni, it's as simple as that. That being said, there are at lot of Muslims who go to university every year!

The idea of finding loopholes in your own religious laws so that you can get things that are otherwise off limits seems so pointless.

That Islamic mortgage sounds just like a normal mortgage but with a different repayment system. I'm fairly sure that's not what they had in mind when writing the laws.
Reply 14
Original post by Cll_ws
The idea of finding loopholes in your own religious laws so that you can get things that are otherwise off limits seems so pointless.

That Islamic mortgage sounds just like a normal mortgage but with a different repayment system. I'm fairly sure that's not what they had in mind when writing the laws.

I think it is a bit different because the bank is taking more of the risk compared to a normal mortgage. But of course the consumer ends up paying more because of that.
The Muslim prohibition on interest distinguished them from the Jews who controlled their society by debt. This is also why Jews were banned from the UK and much of Europe for hundreds of years.
I was under the impression that loans from the SLC don't accrue interest, so this would be a non-issue.
Reply 17
Original post by Psyk
I think it is a bit different because the bank is taking more of the risk compared to a normal mortgage. But of course the consumer ends up paying more because of that.

Yep......plus not just anyone gets accepted. They are more stringent and you need a pretty large deposit to secure one.
Its a major sin to take out a loan that has riba and the punishment is servers so for me in going for the courses with no tuition fees its deen over dunya id rather suffer here then there....but Allah knows best
Original post by Helloworld_95
I was under the impression that loans from the SLC don't accrue interest, so this would be a non-issue.

They do, but it's a relatively low rate

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending