The Student Room Group

a B in GCSE ICT?

Hi,

I'm about to sit my GCSEs and am predicted A*s in pretty much everything, however the highest I can get in short course GCSE ICT is a B (due to poor coursework). Am a bit worried that having a B in ICT would look bad on my transcript when applying to Ivy League schools; is this a reasonable fear? Would universities like Harvard care particularly about this? I know they have very high academic standards and as the competition is obviously very high, could this hold me back?

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 1
Yes, obviously they'll care? And most UK students applying to Harvard will probably have about 15A*'s. Think again mate
Reply 2
Original post by JAIYEKO
Yes, obviously they'll care? And most UK students applying to Harvard will probably have about 15A*'s. Think again mate

Good one
Reply 3
Original post by quamquam
Good one

What are your other GCSE's like and what course are you looking into?
i hate revision ahhh
Reply 5
Original post by JAIYEKO
What are your other GCSE's like and what course are you looking into?

A*s in everything else, A levels maths further maths physics and history, and idk about courses
Good one

Ignore the poster above, he seems to post similar BS on almost every thread I've seen him on.

The truth is that it probably won't have much of an effect unless you are planning to apply for an IT related course, as AFAIK American unis place some emphasis on being a well rounded individual as well as excellent intellectual achievement. In addition to this, your A Level results are much more likely to have a greater weighting than GCSEs, but obviously you should try and perform the best you can.

HTH.

SS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
You're fine. A single B won't hurt you.
Reply 8
Hi,

I'm about to sit my GCSEs and am predicted A*s in pretty much everything, however the highest I can get in short course GCSE ICT is a B (due to poor coursework). Am a bit worried that having a B in ICT would look bad on my transcript when applying to Ivy League schools; is this a reasonable fear? Would universities like Harvard care particularly about this? I know they have very high academic standards and as the competition is obviously very high, could this hold me back?

Thanks! :smile:

A single B will NOT hold you back the slightest. Remember the American application is holistic so everything else will be viewed equally.
If you get 10 A*s and one B, they won't care. ICT is an effectively GCSE grade useless anyway - almost every single Western teenager can use a computer very well - if you had B grades in English, it might pose more of an issue. You should be fine, provided the grade is a clear anomaly.
You said it's only a short course, so yes. I seriously doubt it will make much of an impact.

Ace the rest of your GCSE's and A-Levels and you should be fine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending