The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website

education studies at DMU

Hey

Who is doing education studies at DMU? Are you a current student or waiting for confirmation for this coming academic year??

Thanks X
Reply 1
Hey,

I've just graduated from DMU in Education Studies :smile:

Happy to answer any questions you have! x
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
Oh wow thank you!

Did you enjoy the course? How were you assessed?? What's your next career move??
Reply 3
Overall I thoroughly enjoyed it, did I complain at times? Yes. I think like all universities there are good lecturers and bad lecturers, thankfully the really bad left during our stay, so you’ll be okay. Lecturers like Barry and Ross are amazing and will bend over backwards to help you I highly recommend all their modules! Your course mates will be the most diverse bunch of people you’ll ever meet and you’ll learn to love all of them even the really irritating ones. Graduating last week was bittersweet for me. I was happy to have finally made it but devastated to be leaving. Enjoy it! :smile:

Assessments
All modules have two or three assessment pieces:

For example my first year was:

Perspectives in Education Essay (60%), Group Presentation & Supporting Paper (40%)
Historical and Contemporary Issues Essay (60%), Group Presentation (20%) and Supporting Paper (20%)
Teaching and Learning in the Primary Sector Poster (30%), Group Presentation (30%), Essay (40%)
Children and Childhood: Current Issues (I think it’s now Social Justice) Report (40%) Essay (60%)

The 2nd year module “Development of the Individual Child” had a group Wiki as did some of the third year modules. This is the only module that has a formal exam (they added it our year) which put a lot of people off it, I don’t like exams and I found it okay.

3rd year had a lot more variation: the norm plus: micro teaches, discussion boards, seminar papers, portfolios, films etc.

Next move
I’ve just been accepted on to a Primary PGCE at University of Leicester, hopefully I live to tell tale. I’d say 50% of the course has gone the teacher training route, a lot of the others are doing masters at various universities and the rest have taken a year out to TA.

Hope this helped x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending