The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 880
Original post by Lashton
How long did it take you to complete yours?

Hey, thought I should chip in here because I'm also Secondary English. I submitted my CKA in December and felt pretty much the same as you - that it wasn't good enough, etc. I actually ended up pulling an all-nighter (on top of my full-time job...) because I wasn't happy with the result.

However I passed - so there is hope. I think the good part of this assessment is it's a chance for real, truthful scrutiny of your goals, your methods, and your subject. Not many application processes are like that.

Good luck :smile:
Thank you Caro_Sci and shj for your advice and reassurance! Feeling relieved to know I'm not the only who has panicked over this haha. Well I've spent 4 days now on one question so I think I'm just going to get a move on and try my best with the others.

Thank you for your help both ^_^
Well I've finally submitted my CKA (at half 3 in the morning the night before it's due lol). I was not quite able to follow all of the advice the guidance gave me within the word limit but it reads quite well and answers the questions. Reeeally hoping they won't send it back to me - I never want to see it again! Good luck to those of you currently writing yours, I feel your pain!
Original post by Lashton
Well I've finally submitted my CKA (at half 3 in the morning the night before it's due lol). I was not quite able to follow all of the advice the guidance gave me within the word limit but it reads quite well and answers the questions. Reeeally hoping they won't send it back to me - I never want to see it again! Good luck to those of you currently writing yours, I feel your pain!

Well done Lashton, I managed to submit mine the weekend before last and got the email last Friday saying it passed so it only took about 6 days for mine! Although again maybe science is faster to come back. The email I got back had some really nice comments, complementing my passion for the subject and saying my lesson at the interview was a really good idea. The only extra thing they said I need to do is read some past papers to get the idea of the assessment the students go through and test my own knowledge. I thought that was a really good idea! I'm sure yours will be fine too! I think they are just looking for your interest in the subject and honesty to say which parts you need to work on. =)
Original post by Caro_Sci
Well done Lashton, I managed to submit mine the weekend before last and got the email last Friday saying it passed so it only took about 6 days for mine! Although again maybe science is faster to come back. The email I got back had some really nice comments, complementing my passion for the subject and saying my lesson at the interview was a really good idea. The only extra thing they said I need to do is read some past papers to get the idea of the assessment the students go through and test my own knowledge. I thought that was a really good idea! I'm sure yours will be fine too! I think they are just looking for your interest in the subject and honesty to say which parts you need to work on. =)

That's great Caro_Sci, well done! Sounds like you will be a great teacher :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lashton
That's great Caro_Sci, well done! Sounds like you will be a great teacher :smile:

Aww thanks, I can tell by how much you care about this that you will be too =)

Have you done your skills tests yet? I have mine next week and I am so so worried! Mental arithmetic and spelling are not my best points I have to say!
Just wondering whether anyone knows if they will ask a specific question about interaction and self evaluation in the interview, or whether those two competencies are just assessed throughout the day? Struggling to work out how I would answer a specific competency question about them...
Original post by sabrina-morse93
Just wondering whether anyone knows if they will ask a specific question about interaction and self evaluation in the interview, or whether those two competencies are just assessed throughout the day? Struggling to work out how I would answer a specific competency question about them...

I don't remember the questions I was asked very well (I tend to forget all interviews/exams as soon as I walk out of them). But I do remember that for some questions you get asked how you did something (this could be a question about leadership or getting bad feedback etc), and how you could do it better. The second part of the question is about self-evaluation. I'm guessing interaction was mostly assessed through the group work section but that doesn't mean they won't give you a question about it in the interview, so maybe have an example about team-work just in case! I remember some of the questions really threw me as they it is often not obvious what competency they are for, so just have a bunch of examples that work for several of them that you can adapt to fit different questions. Good luck!
I don't remember the questions I was asked very well (I tend to forget all interviews/exams as soon as I walk out of them). But I do remember that for some questions you get asked how you did something (this could be a question about leadership or getting bad feedback etc), and how you could do it better. The second part of the question is about self-evaluation. I'm guessing interaction was mostly assessed through the group work section but that doesn't mean they won't give you a question about it in the interview, so maybe have an example about team-work just in case! I remember some of the questions really threw me as they it is often not obvious what competency they are for, so just have a bunch of examples that work for several of them that you can adapt to fit different questions. Good luck!

Thanks for this, really useful! Getting so nervous now as my AC is on Wednesday!
Original post by sabrina-morse93
Thanks for this, really useful! Getting so nervous now as my AC is on Wednesday!

Don't worry, it's really relaxed there. The interviewers give you as much time as you need to think of answers and even to leave a question and go back to it later.
Anyone got their ac on Thursday 12th? Getting nervous now :frown:
Reply 891
I have my AC on 12th too. Also very nervous, especially about the interview. I'm not sure how I'd react to a question which throws me off
Original post by JessLM
I have my AC on 12th too. Also very nervous, especially about the interview. I'm not sure how I'd react to a question which throws me off

Yeah me too :/ I'll probably ask them to reword it a bit and hope for the best. I'm struggling most with the lesson timing, it so hard to judge
Reply 893
Original post by alice_louise7
Yeah me too :/ I'll probably ask them to reword it a bit and hope for the best. I'm struggling most with the lesson timing, it so hard to judge

Yeah especially since you don't know how many distractions there will be. Are you going for primary or secondary?
Original post by JessLM
Yeah especially since you don't know how many distractions there will be. Are you going for primary or secondary?

Just to say they read the questions off a script so they won't reword just repeat. But they will do that as many times as you want and give you as much time as you want so it's not so bad.

Expect some disruption in the lesson so make sure your lesson doesn't go for the whole 7 minutes with no distractions, I practiced mine and it was always 5-6 mins and I was worried it was too short but on the day it was exactly 7 mins as I had to deal with irrelevant questions etc from the 'pupils'.
Original post by JessLM

Hey guys, I had my assessment centre on Friday it was really relaxed and the day was a bit long for me because I had my lesson in the later time slots. Generally know about TF and why you want to part of the LDP and prepare answers that will test the different competencies. The assessors were quite friendly but they don't give much away in terms of how well your doing. Also be prepared to think on the spot in any situation e.g. interview or group work. Good luck ladies!

And thanks to everyone else in the group who gave me really good advice in preparing for the day. I got an offer this morning :smile:
Reply 896
Hey everyone, just want to offer any help/advice about the whole TF process. I'm doing secondary English and had my AC back in Nov and have since completed both my CKA and QTS tests and now just waiting to hear back about my location (which I've been told by my recruiter will be 13th Feb incase anyone is as anxious as me to find out!)

Seriously, any question thats niggling you whether thats AC/CKA/QTS I'm happy to help as much as I can - this forum helped me a lot during the whole process so I just thought I'd try and give back :smile:
Original post by nikkicu
Hey everyone, just want to offer any help/advice about the whole TF process. I'm doing secondary English and had my AC back in Nov and have since completed both my CKA and QTS tests and now just waiting to hear back about my location (which I've been told by my recruiter will be 13th Feb incase anyone is as anxious as me to find out!)

Seriously, any question thats niggling you whether thats AC/CKA/QTS I'm happy to help as much as I can - this forum helped me a lot during the whole process so I just thought I'd try and give back :smile:

I'm also happy to offer anyone help as well 😊 im in the same situation as Nikki, just waiting for my region! It's great to hear it's supposed to be Friday, ive heard this from other people but GRO couldn't confirm it! I'm doing early years btw if anyone has any questions specific to that
Aww thanks, I can tell by how much you care about this that you will be too =)

Have you done your skills tests yet? I have mine next week and I am so so worried! Mental arithmetic and spelling are not my best points I have to say!

Thanks :smile: Mine are booked for the 21st. I am terrible at maths, really bad, so I am pretty nervous! I tried the practice test once and it did not go well. But I've bought 'Passing the Numeracy Skills Test' by Mark Patmore and it has been quite useful so far so fingers crossed :smile:

Have you had your tests now? If not, good luck :smile:
Original post by Lashton
Thanks :smile: Mine are booked for the 21st. I am terrible at maths, really bad, so I am pretty nervous! I tried the practice test once and it did not go well. But I've bought 'Passing the Numeracy Skills Test' by Mark Patmore and it has been quite useful so far so fingers crossed :smile:

Have you had your tests now? If not, good luck :smile:

I found the numeracy test so hard! Honestly if I can do it anyone can! If your struggling numeracy ready is also great

Latest

Trending

Trending