The Student Room Group

Is there actually any point trying to get great GCSE results?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by turn-to-page394
I'd much rather put the effort in and get good grades then think: 'I could have done better if I tried.'

But then you realise," it doesn't matter if I tried, because they don't matter."

Depends what your life goals are OP. They don't matter for me.

Spoiler

Original post by Abeh
How much do you guys think GCSE grades effect your quality of life in the future? Because right now I just feel like some kind of 'saddo' for putting so much effort in. Am I wasting my time?

I left school with no GCSE's, now I have a 2.1 from a decent uni and a graduate job in finance/asset management.

In most cases you will only need 5 A*-C's including Maths and English, which you can achieve in your sleep. It's not necessarily a waste of time because it's important to get into the habit of working hard & revising, which will benefit you in the long run. The actual GCSE qualifications don't matter in the long run though, mine were taken off my CV as soon as I had my A Levels.
Reply 82
Getting good GCSE grades definately do matter!
Not only do they allow you to do the courses you want, but if you change your mind about what you want to study on the first week of AS levels then you have a wider option of courses you can change to. Not only that, understanding your GCSE syllabus really well helps with the jump to A-levels (depending on what courses you do) and if you decide to apply to university, a lot of them do take your GCSE results into consideration. I completely understand the cba attitude -we all get it at some point, but revising early disciplines you well because out of the examination years, GCSEs are definately the easiest.
Posted on TheStudentRoom
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Damien_Dalgaard
nice, were you homeschooled?

No, I was schoolschooled

Why?
Whatever happened to "try your best"? :confused:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by binarythoughts
No, I was schoolschooled

Why?

Posted from TSR Mobile

*Homeschooled.
Original post by Abeh
Just feels like they barely matter. I have high target grades, but it just feels pointless trying, because I keep being told that all we need are grades good enough to get onto the courses we want for a-level.

My friends think that there's no point revising so early, even though our exams are in 5 weeks, and I don't know if any of them care...

How much do you guys think GCSE grades effect your quality of life in the future? Because right now I just feel like some kind of 'saddo' for putting so much effort in. Am I wasting my time?

Course they matter, to get those high grades you need to know more complex stuff, that'll help big time with your A-levels...

imagine being the only C grade student in an A-level Maths class surround by A* achievers, you're gunna be behind on the curriculum big time
Original post by ChickenMadness
But then you realise," it doesn't matter if I tried, because they don't matter."
Depends what your life goals are OP. They don't matter for me.

Spoiler

I guess everyone has different opinions - I am one of those annoying perfectionists who fail at being perfect and so I'd probably beat myself up about doing less than I was capable of... :biggrin:

I want to do medicine so I guess they do matter for some uni applications. :frown:

So what do you want to do? :smile:
I guess everyone has different opinions - I am one of those annoying perfectionists who fail at being perfect and so I'd probably beat myself up about doing less than I was capable of... :biggrin:

I want to do medicine so I guess they do matter for some uni applications. :frown:

So what do you want to do? :smile:

I study 3D game art and am probably going to end up working in the film / advertisement / architectural vizualization / game industry / (bunch of other options too) most likely. No one cares about your qualifications in these industries lol. Just need a good portfolio.

I recently sold a drawing i did in year 10 too a record company as well lmao.
(edited 9 years ago)
I study 3D game art and am probably going to end up working in the film / advertisement / architectural vizualization / game industry / (bunch of other options too) most likely. No one cares about your qualifications in these industries lol. Just need a good portfolio.

I recently sold a drawing i did in year 10 too a record company as well lmao.

That is seriously cool - sounds like an awesome thing to do :biggrin: ! Shame I can't draw.... (doodling in lessons doesn't count does it :colondollar:)

So what kind of things do you draw? :smile: Sounds so fun!
Original post by sr90
I left school with no GCSE's, now I have a 2.1 from a decent uni and a graduate job in finance/asset management.

In most cases you will only need 5 A*-C's including Maths and English, which you can achieve in your sleep. It's not necessarily a waste of time because it's important to get into the habit of working hard & revising, which will benefit you in the long run. The actual GCSE qualifications don't matter in the long run though, mine were taken off my CV as soon as I had my A Levels.

I can confirm it sucks if you don't have that habit.
That is seriously cool - sounds like an awesome thing to do :biggrin: ! Shame I can't draw.... (doodling in lessons doesn't count does it :colondollar:)

So what kind of things do you draw? :smile: Sounds so fun!

ye it is quite fun. It's not just drawing though.

Theres 3D animation which requires no 'creating' as such. Just moving limbs on characters about etc. (I find this extremely tedious and boring but loads of my friends love it lol)

And 3D modelling (no drawing)

Lighting scenes

Rigging (creating controls so animators can move things about)

Technical artists, they make all the explosions and fairy lights in fantasy movies

Bunch of other stuff.

Tbh I'm only on this uni course because of job security lol. There isn't any drawing / painting in most of these jobs. I'm just improving painting/drawing skills as a side thing for fun.

Spoiler

You're still in school. You could easily go down my route if you want. UK has one of the biggest video game industries. And one of the best 3D courses in the world. :smug: If that stuff interests you, you could PM me about it. I only decided I wanted to do that stuff in year 13 when I was already taking STEM subjects. And i made my portfolio + did an art Alevel in a year so ye. you're in year 11 you can do what you want lol.

ye it is quite fun. It's not just drawing though.

Theres 3D animation which requires no 'creating' as such. Just moving limbs on characters about etc. (I find this extremely tedious and boring but loads of my friends love it lol)

And 3D modelling (no drawing)

Lighting scenes

Rigging (creating controls so animators can move things about)

Technical artists, they make all the explosions and fairy lights in fantasy movies

Bunch of other stuff.

Tbh I'm only on this uni course because of job security lol. There isn't any drawing / painting in most of these jobs. I'm just improving painting/drawing skills as a side thing for fun.

Spoiler

You're still in school. You could easily go down my route if you want. UK has one of the biggest video game industries. And one of the best 3D courses in the world. :smug: If that stuff interests you, you could PM me about it. I only decided I wanted to do that stuff in year 13 when I was already taking STEM subjects. And i made my portfolio + did an art Alevel in a year so ye. you're in year 11 you can do what you want lol.

That's really cool - I love wolves :biggrin:

Haha, self-flattery I see. :wink:
I dunno, I don't even do Art GCSE :colondollar:. It sounds really interesting but I'm not really into video gaming (that's my friend :rolleyes:).
Medicine is the route for me. :smile: Though what you're doing sounds cool, I don't think I'd actually do it. :biggrin:

Hope it all goes well.:biggrin:

Huh? I wasn't. He asked if I was homeschooled and I said I was schoolschooled :laugh:
Original post by binarythoughts
Huh? I wasn't. He asked if I was homeschooled and I said I was schoolschooled :laugh:

Posted from TSR Mobile

😳.Oh,I get it.
Reply 95
Try your best. If I'd gotten better GCSEs I could have applied to a better university because I exceeded their A level requirements. It will matter in the future even though it may not seem it now.
Reply 96
Original post by Abeh
Just feels like they barely matter. I have high target grades, but it just feels pointless trying, because I keep being told that all we need are grades good enough to get onto the courses we want for a-level.

My friends think that there's no point revising so early, even though our exams are in 5 weeks, and I don't know if any of them care...

yes they do ...if u don't get good gcse, u wont get u desired a-levels hence u won't really get a start to help achieve ur dream job and dream life.
But say you wanted to take a year out? Then you could apply to your chosen uni with your actual A level results and they wouldn't care about GCSEs? So surely then you only need the GCSEs to get onto the A level course you want
Only bother trying if you're incredibly dumb and need to revise to get A's and A*s. Below that is just worrying or pure lazyness. Basically, GCSE's can never make you look good, but they can make you look bad, so don't fail them, get all A's +
Yes it is i got refused by a university because i didnt get a B in english language when i got a C

Quick Reply

Latest