The Student Room Group

What's honestly so good about Oxbridge?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Serine Soul
Yes. Don't blame the university, blame the course

Spoiler

I just don't understand what job people expect to do with history/arts degrees...
It doesn't matter that much for medicine anyway, as long as you're at another top uni :yep:

Indeed, the one good thing about medicine is that the place you go isn't as important as all the other subjects.

I got into another 'golden triangle' uni, which I loved the look of, so I'm happy :colondollar:
Think, there will be people who favour status than course content to get into Oxbridge. It is a title, something to look at. I know people who went there because of the name and prestige, but other universities had better course content.
Original post by Trapz99
Don't go to Oxbridge for the money. You should go three because you love learning your subject and want to study it in an environment that gives you great teaching hours opportunity to learn alongside other talented people. Oxbridge itself isn't automatically proffered by employers compared to the other top universities (LSE, UCL, Imperial etc...) and you will be chosen based on your extracurricular achievements and your work experience, not because of the Oxbridge brand.

I would enjoy the subject, yes.

But for what I want to go into, (Law) Oxbridge really is a huge advantage. The figures speak for themselves.

It may be true that for other subjects, having gone to Oxbridge may not be such a huge advantage, but for Law, it certainly is.
Original post by Abstract_Prism
I would enjoy the subject, yes.

But for what I want to go into, (Law) Oxbridge really is a huge advantage. The figures speak for themselves.

It may be true that for other subjects, having gone to Oxbridge may not be such a huge advantage, but for Law, it certainly is.

Oh, I had no idea you were applying for law. Then, Oxbridge is pretty advantageous with a lot of firms.
Reply 45
Its like a second chance to go to Public School that's all.
Tutorial/supervision system, number of contact hrs, quality of faculty, collegiate system, the fact everyone there is smarter and thus learning can progress at a faster rate. And the reputation means that it's a target institution for certain employers.
Original post by richpanda
I just don't understand what job people expect to do with history/arts degrees...

Yeah definitely. I mean, unless you're very wealthy and have great links with people to get jobs, it looks a bit blurry to me
Yeah definitely. I mean, unless you're very wealthy and have great links with people to get jobs, it looks a bit blurry to me

Around 70% of graduate jobs don't require any specific degree. This includes the majority of finance, accounting, marketing, banking and other careers. Your degree doesn't really matter except for the obvious jobs like engineering, medicine and scientific research.
The people you meet. Not the arrogant types but the interesting ones. You'll meet people like this any where though, but I think the chances are higher in certain places.
Reply 50
Original post by Sesshomaru24U
The people you meet. Not the arrogant types but the interesting ones. You'll meet people like this any where though, but I think the chances are higher in certain places.

If that were true then why not just move to Oxbridge and mingle in the pub with future nobel prize winning students?
Original post by Abstract_Prism
One third of all practising barristers graduated from Oxbridge.

So barristers are now all high paying jobs? How exactly does that figure tie into his statement about likelihood? Still waiting for an actual explanation behind the statement.
Original post by Trapz99
Because they're more prestigious than any other universities in Britain. Other universities just don't instantly impress family and friends like Oxbridge. Also, a lot of people want to part of a university that has such a rich history of sending students to the highest positions in society- numerous Prime Minsters and people in powerful positions have studied at Oxbridge- I'd even say that studying at Oxbridge gives you a higher chance of landing these political positions (especially PPE at Oxford). Also, Oxbridge has better teaching than any other university and people would want the best for their money. In addition to this, the experience of studying at Oxbridge is completely different from other universities because of the unusual traditions- this creates a sense of uniqueness that is not matched by any other university.

Solid answer as well

Original post by dragonkeeper999
Well, there are several reasons people might choose Oxbridge:

- Money: I definitely remember reading an article recently about graduate salaries and Oxbridge was right up there

- Prestige/ general bragging rights: some people just like showing off that they had the grades/ luck to get into such a prestigious uni

- Teaching quality: we generally have a lot of contact hours and very small group supervisions/ tutorials, something other unis don't offer

- Surroundings: most colleges or departments are in old, famous buildings, both cities are very historical and English places, they are both very nice cities to live in

- Extracurriculars: OK, it's generally known that the nightlife is terrible, but the range and accessibility of clubs and societies for students to get involved in is unbelievable. Every college has their own version of important societies (sports teams, subject groups, etc) which complete novices can join, plus there are a crazily huge range of university wide societies, some of them very famous such as the Union (debating society) and Footlights (comedy).

- Pressure: schools/ parents undeniably put a fair amount of pressure on some top achieving students to go to Oxbridge, probably most motivated by prestige

Going to Oxbridge does not, by itself, command one with a higher salary. There is no 'Oxbridge' premiun on salaries and that is not what these salary statistics are saying. Otherwise, solid answer.
Original post by 雷尼克
My sisters friend who went to study history at Oxford still hasn't found a job since graduation last November

There's like 4 decent history person jobs in the entire country fam, of course they haven't.
Original post by Thomb
If that were true then why not just move to Oxbridge and mingle in the pub with future nobel prize winning students?

Because it's something I assume and could potentially be wrong. I would rather study there for 3 years and leave, than bet everything on an untested assumption that's likely wrong.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
There's like 4 decent history person jobs in the entire country fam, of course they haven't.

Good lord. Most people with academic degrees don't get jobs in their fields... That's Maths, Physics, History, English, Law (yes, only like a 1/5 to a third of law degree holders end up with a training contract), Anthropology, Chemistry, Biology etc. Pretty poor argument to say 'there's like 4 decent history person jobs'.
Original post by Princepieman
Good lord. Most people with academic degrees don't get jobs in their fields... That's Maths, Physics, History, English, Law (yes, only like a 1/5 to a third of law degree holders end up with a training contract), Anthropology, Chemistry, Biology etc. Pretty poor argument to say 'there's like 4 decent history person jobs'.

I never said otherwise, history's just a particularly not-in-demand one.
Original post by intelligent con
x

Its just the title/rep that comes at the cost of your mental health grinding :work: 24/7.

Just do whatever that makes you happy. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Punting on the river, mate.
Their legacy. What they were built for, more than the people nowadays boasting to have studied in either.
Also, given their acceptance rate, you're far more likely to find people dedicated to their study there. And some industrious and dedicated people like being surrounded by like-minded people, hence why both universities manage to maintain their prestige to this day.

I've entered the Oxford library once. I'd personally live in that library, and my life would be complete.

When I tell friends that I'll be aiming to apply for a PhD at Oxford, they think I'm applying for the degree. No, it's the library. It's ok though, the only way I'll ever lay foot in it again will be with a visitor pass. I've grown content with that now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending