The Student Room Group

I am so stressed and anxious about the exams

I feel that I have done barely any revision (this I have kept posting about) and now I have reached the point where I am going to pass out; I have no time left :frown: I also have physical reactions such as coughing and gagging.

If I revise, I'll do 30 minutes and I don't feel motivated to do anymore. I am so anxious and it tires me out so much.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Don't panic! You still have over a month left! That's a loooot of time to get some quality revision (even though it may not feel like it!)

It seems that you're getting yourself way too wound up, so honestly I'd recommend you take a day off and have a fresh start tomorrow because you're not going to get any good revision done now if you're panicking. What are your current revision strategies/plans?
1) make flash cards for subjects based on content where you have to memorise things(question on one side and answer on the other), it took me one day per subject
2)print off mark schemes for essay based subjects (takes less than 1hr)
3)print off examples and try to write like them
4) for maths, do past papers
5) print off notes rather than making your own(takes too long) and use flash cards to memorise instead
You have plenty of time, I started revising a few weeks ago and I'm almost done with all my subjects, don't stress too much
health before revision, always :smile:
even if that means taking a day or two off.

Spoiler

Original post by Jamie Vardy
I feel that I have done barely any revision (this I have kept posting about) and now I have reached the point where I am going to pass out; I have no time left :frown: I also have physical reactions such as coughing and gagging.

If I revise, I'll do 30 minutes and I don't feel motivated to do anymore. I am so anxious and it tires me out so much.

I'm sorry to hear that you're stressed.

Firstly, you do have some weeks left now before GCSEs and I think that many people before exams feel that they've hardly done much revision, when that isn't necessarily the case. Sometimes it can help to just take a step back to clear your mind and then continue with revision - breaks can be just as important as the actual revision itself. For example, could you work in 30 minute batches, take a 10 minute break and then continue after that?

You mentioned you've been experiencing physical reactions such as coughing and gagging - have you considered going to speak to your GP about those things? Otherwise, you could consider speaking to your teachers too about how you're feeling. I know that it can seem daunting to speak to others but sometimes just talking to others can help get some negative feelings out.

I hope you feel better soon, and good luck with your GCSEs!
Reply 5
Original post by luciie
Don't panic! You still have over a month left! That's a loooot of time to get some quality revision (even though it may not feel like it!)

It seems that you're getting yourself way too wound up, so honestly I'd recommend you take a day off and have a fresh start tomorrow because you're not going to get any good revision done now if you're panicking. What are your current revision strategies/plans?

Thanks for your reassurance. Got somewhere to go tomorrow all day which makes me feel even worse :frown: I try to make notes but feel so unmotivated and upset to go beyond an hour's worth of work. I didn't stick to my timetable at all this week.
You definitely have time left to revise and do well. Make some flashcards with a question on one side and short summerised answer on the other, I'd recommend brainscape to make them on a tablet or just write them out on index cards; then review them until you feel confident on the content (I mainly did this closer to the exams). For sciences I used the cgp GCSE science apps, they cost but they are great.
Then focus on past papers.

I was the same about my GCSEs, but looking back now I wish I hadn't made myself feel so bad about them. When struggling to find motivation, try to think of the results you want to achieve and also the long summer after your exams.

Quick Reply

Latest