The Student Room Group

IGCSE English Language

Basically we have almost a week from now until our english exam and i really need help with the question 1. Any tips please.
Reply 1
stop omg I'm totally in denial :cry2:
I struggle with Q1 the most too! However, my teacher told me some good tips. Always, always read the question (format of writing) and the bullet points, THEN, read the article. After that, when you're writing, he suggested that I should only write 3 paragraphs (1 for each bullet point). The main idea is pretty much state the obvious in what you've just read but use your own words (doesn't have to be every single word) and just structure it normally using basic connectives. Good luck and all the best!
Original post by Mo De
Basically we have almost a week from now until our english exam and i really need help with the question 1. Any tips please.

Hi! Moved this into the English Exams Forum for you :h:
Reply 4
Original post by Perfection Ace
I struggle with Q1 the most too! However, my teacher told me some good tips. Always, always read the question (format of writing) and the bullet points, THEN, read the article. After that, when you're writing, he suggested that I should only write 3 paragraphs (1 for each bullet point). The main idea is pretty much state the obvious in what you've just read but use your own words (doesn't have to be every single word) and just structure it normally using basic connectives. Good luck and all the best!

Thank you soo much for your help
Reply 5
Original post by Mo De

I'm stressing out too! But I'm doing past papers and also watched 'Mr Bruff' on youtube, he is really helpful. Just search 'Mr Bruff IGCSE English' if should come up with those videos and basically he teaches you through how to do the questions.
Even though I don't get really good marks for this, I think those are helpful. Hope this helps you! good luck for next week!

Our teacher told us that they've started to change it a bit in the last few years and now instead of just stating the points in your own words and putting connectives in, they expect you to develop the points you make briefly and make a short judgement on it. Our class tends to do 3/4 points per bullet point question and do 3 mini paragraphs within one paragraph. And there should be 3 main paragraphs in total. I think they changed it when they started putting in the 1-15 bullet points system in question three last year.
Reply 7
Original post by Mo De

just remember TAP
text e.g. letter
audience e.g. parents
purpose e.g. to explain and inform
also remember the seven text types
letter (formal and informal)
newspaper article
interview
speech
journal
magazine article
Original post by zara_ruby
Our teacher told us that they've started to change it a bit in the last few years and now instead of just stating the points in your own words and putting connectives in, they expect you to develop the points you make briefly and make a short judgement on it. Our class tends to do 3/4 points per bullet point question and do 3 mini paragraphs within one paragraph. And there should be 3 main paragraphs in total. I think they changed it when they started putting in the 1-15 bullet points system in
question three last year.

Ohh wow. Oh daaaaamn. OH NO!! q.q, that means in all my past papers I've been doing it wrong! lmaoooo. damn, 3 more days to go and I can't even answer it properly. oh well :s-smilie:
Ohh wow. Oh daaaaamn. OH NO!! q.q, that means in all my past papers I've been doing it wrong! lmaoooo. damn, 3 more days to go and I can't even answer it properly. oh well :s-smilie:

Idk, I'm pretty sure this is right, but it only applies to question one anyway, so you could still not do the best and get a decent mark .
im most worried for question 2 tbh. i tend to overwrite!
any tips on question 2 and 3
also my tip for question 1 is to plan 3 paragraphs before hand using the bullet points, almost replicating the mark scheme, and then begin writing!
Can someone explain what main things you need to include in different forms of writing? Like what do you have to do in a report, magazine, newspaper article eg.
Original post by Mo De

Practice exam questions. There are some on Papa Cambridge
Original post by Mo De

you have a week? LOL. we have FOUR DAYS

Ok, so some tips.

For each bullet point, make four points EACH. Try to make language as interesting as possible(so, if it was a newspaper article, exaggerate the personality of the writer. Make your writing stand out). Spend about 50 minutes- an hour on the question.

First bullet point - you pick out the points from the text

Second bullet point - pick out points + find implied meanings

third bullet point - use everything you've read to imply points (hidden meanings, all of that mumbo-jumbo)

Enjoy.
Original post by Mo De

Bit of a late reply but try using PPAF
P - purpose (to inform, to educate)
P - person (male, female, child, adult)
A - audience (formal or non-formal)
F - form (newspaper article, interview)
what mark is normally needed for an A?
Reply 16
hi may i ask what zone any of you guys are in.i am in zone 5 and i just did the exam.if any of you find a passage about miss salmon it is really tricky. read the passage very carefully. i lost marks cause i didn't.
Reply 17
Original post by ckzsjkc
hi may i ask what zone any of you guys are in.i am in zone 5 and i just did the exam.if any of you find a passage about miss salmon it is really tricky. read the passage very carefully. i lost marks cause i didn't.

I did the paper yesterday, it was about miss salmon. it was really confusing, I had to read it 5 times to realise she did it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending