The Student Room Group

What wouldn't you tell your Doctor

As a medical student I am very interested to know the sorts of things you wouldn't tell you doctor

(a) if asked an open question (e.g: can you tell be about things you do that might damage your health)

(b) if asked a closed question (e.g: do you smoke)

I would really appreciate all answers so if you don't want to be named, please post anonymously.

Thank you
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I lie to my doctor about how much I drink always and I'm more likely to answer closed questions
Reply 2
when i was 16 and my doctor asked if i was sexually active i said no but i was (how naughty)

but now i wouldn't hesitate, they've seen it all. my doctor has seen me without my top so not much more to hide??
That I didn't really need a prostate exam...........:colone:

Spoiler

I prefer open questions, because I can use my discretion when answering them. I hesitate quite a lot when my doctor/gp asks my closed questions- especially the ones that I already feel uncomfortable with answering

Closed questions that were linked to my depression I was quite uncomfortable with answering and then refused to.
(edited 7 years ago)
i wouldnt keep anything from my doctor because whats the point? they cant help me if i dont tell them what they need to know
Probably that I've partaken in illegal drugs before
Idk about never telling them important stuff but I have refused to go to the dr for stuff I was embarrassed about and so I just self medicated
I don't lie about anything to doctors. I don't care if they judge me, I'm there for their medical opinion of my problem and if they need certain questions answered then you're only doing yourself down by not answering them honestly.

But saying that I am very boring in that I don't drink, have never taken drugs and I've been with the same boyfriend for a very long time so I don't have anything embarrassing to want to hide.
I don't lie about anything because I'm not an idiot and I know they ask questions because they might be medically relevant. What's more important, that I get the right diagnosis or I save myself a little bit of embarrassment or shame? Besides if I'm doing anything that I would be embarrassed or ashamed to tell my doctor then I clearly need to change my behaviour or my attitude.
Reply 10
Original post by jsmith6131
As a medical student I am very interested to know the sorts of things you wouldn't tell you doctor

(a) if asked an open question (e.g: can you tell be about things you do that might damage your health)

(b) if asked a closed question (e.g: do you smoke)

I would really appreciate all answers so if you don't want to be named, please post anonymously.

Thank you

I always lie to them when they ask if I'm on any other meds (why hello there valium.............).
Original post by Ciel.
I always lie to them when they ask if I'm on any other meds (why hello there valium.............).

That's probably the most stupid thing you can do, if your GP is going to prescribe you something they need to know what you're on in case it reacts badly with other things you're on like Valium
Reply 12
Original post by infairverona
That's probably the most stupid thing you can do, if your GP is going to prescribe you something they need to know what you're on in case it reacts badly with other things you're on like Valium

I'm not stupid, I always check for possible bad interactions etc. And anyway, I don't need to hear their 'you are addicted', 'where are you getting it from' etc ******** I don't even care about anything anymore. Replied to this topic just because I felt like it, not saying this is the right thing to do.
Original post by Ciel.
I'm not stupid, I always check for possible bad interactions etc. And anyway, I don't need to hear their 'you are addicted', 'where are you getting it from' etc ******** I don't even care about anything anymore. Replied to this topic just because I felt like it, not saying this is the right thing to do.

Well I appreciate your honesty. so thank you

However, I would advise you to be very careful when on prescription medication. Perhaps ask your pharmacist instead of your doctor about potential interactions?. They can give out a certain amount of advice. However, I will leave the decision to you
Original post by Ciel.

I didn't say you are stupid, I said not telling your doctor is stupid. It's really important they can check for contraindications, they aren't going to judge you and if they do you should complain to the practice. Your post didn't come across as though you were advising this is good for anyone else, and I didn't say that either - I mean for YOUR own health that's really not a good thing to do
I'm not on steroids yet, but when I am I won't be telling my GP unless I absolutely have to.
I'd tell my doctor anything I needed to
I'd prefer refraining from disclosing my drug use though
Reply 17
Original post by infairverona
I didn't say you are stupid, I said not telling your doctor is stupid. It's really important they can check for contraindications, they aren't going to judge you and if they do you should complain to the practice. Your post didn't come across as though you were advising this is good for anyone else, and I didn't say that either - I mean for YOUR own health that's really not a good thing to do

Well, it's better than having 'addict' on your medical records. I don't really care about my health or life anymore either so *shrugs*
Original post by Ciel.
Well, it's better than having 'addict' on your medical records. I don't really care about my health or life anymore either so *shrugs*

If you die because something you're prescribed reacts with the valium I don't think anybody would care what kind of label you have in your medical records. If you don't care about your health or your life you should probably - ironically - see your GP
whatever i wouldn't tell my doctor, my mum would say for me :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest